No business sense

Sparktrader

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

So called 4 star room 790 baht. Looks 2 stars to me

Screenshot_20221102-114357_Gallery.jpg

Looks about 3 star to me. All I ask of a room for one night is clean, big bed, and functional aircon and plumbing.

My vote for best value hotel goes to one in Mae Hong Son, 550 baht/night. Room was huge, about 60 sqm. Breakfast included, they even knew how to make perfect scrambled eggs.

Le Meridien in Chiang Rai is 7000 baht/night. Too rich for my blood.

Those sharp mattress corners mean a hard, hard mattress. That, and cut whatever you think the size is of the pool in half, is the sum of my accrued Agoda knowledge.

Oh, and when I said my wife was game for it bi-weekly, that's the bi-weekly that means twice a month, not twice a week. But at least they're good'uns.

Edited by LaosLover

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

So called 4 star room 790 baht. Looks 2 stars to me

Screenshot_20221102-114357_Gallery.jpg

This is the common 600-900 baht room, specially at that size and with a balcony. Not sure what you are whining about. It's super cheap, specially with today's forex.

I average always end up paying that, if not taking the 1000 upgrade to a lucky deal sometimes at for example Ibis or Holiday inn etc.

Let me guess, you were only a repeating customers since covid or before it and now think you should be given a red carpet and 50% discount lifetime? I guess I should complain with Sofitel Bangkok too that the prices aren't 2K a night anymore now.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

This is the common 600-900 baht room, specially at that size and with a balcony. Not sure what you are whining about. It's super cheap, specially with today's forex.

I average always end up paying that, if not taking the 1000 upgrade to a lucky deal sometimes at for example Ibis or Holiday inn etc.

Let me guess, you were only a repeating customers since covid or before it and now think you should be given a red carpet and 50% discount lifetime? I guess I should complain with Sofitel Bangkok too that the prices aren't 2K a night anymore now.

Looks like a 450  baht room.

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Looks like a 450  baht room.

That is totally subjective to say, that there are rooms similar to it for 500 baht, or better ones for 700 baht, says zero about the reasons for another business to price it in whatever way. If they were actually so wrong, 80% of them would been closed since a decade.

You might think it is a loss, they might think they rather have 10 days of 800 baht, at one go. Then to have 20 days of 400 baht spread all over the month. You would also need more cleaning, more time, staff on more days. And this is just one tiny example of thousands.

Last but not least, I have seen rooms worse than your example, even in middle of Isaan, that cost also this amount. Or way worse ones that still cost 400 baht, the 24sqm studio types with no view and noise.

If you now paid the higher rate, you kept your relationship, perhaps that resulted in 2 free coffees worth 120 baht aside of getting early and late check outs, or being better located.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

you now paid the higher rate, you kept your relationship, perhaps that resulted in 2 free coffees worth 120 baht aside of getting early and late check outs, or being better located.

Had no coffee or breakfast. Location better but I walk 5km daily. 

Walking is considered no 1 or 2 for better health.

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Had no coffee or breakfast. Location better but I walk 5km daily. 

Walking is considered no 1 or 2 for better health.

So there is your answer, you were wrong but you personally rather save 200 baht on the room only. The guesthouse doesn't care, you don't care, nobody cares.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 10/31/2022 at 11:42 AM, Sparktrader said:

Changed hotels today. 550 baht to 800 baht cause November they said. Lost me a repeat customer. Found one 470 baht near dentist i visit.

Oh well saved money, had a walk.

These must be extremely tough times for cryptocurrency evangelists like you, but haggling over a couple of hundred baht is a bit excessive.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Want to see some papaya at the breakfast buffet? That starts at 1,500 baht. Watermelon and dead weight Dragon fruit suits you? Possible for 800 baht. Even the bread for the toast conveyor belt on offer is predictable by the price point.

Yes, so don't stay in hotels offering included breakfast. Is it so hard to go next door to a restaurant serving breakfast at a reasonable price?

Included breakfast is a con job like "free" tortilla chips in a Mexico restaurant. Included means included in the inflated price.

I can be a circa '99 backpacker for every meal except breakfast. Having it all set up mere steps from the elevator is worth a premium of say, 200 baht to me -if we're at the papaya level of offerings. Sparktrader will be moaning, "an elevator? too posh".

If I'm assembling say, a cappaccino and croissant ala carte, I'm getting near that price anyway. A hot soy milk or rice porridge start to the day is for locals, not me. The 120 baht places I've seen are heavy on the horrible sausage options and are always papaya-lite. I am aware that I could buy and gut a papaya on my own.

Def a good thread idea: what makes for a good brekkie buffet. I also like to see some sliced, not-that-great-cheese on offer, but that seems to be another Covid-victim. The place I'm in now has a range of probiotic drinks and two kinds of peanut butter (junky and health food store type). And very good coffee.  Plus eggs to order. Can't fault that for 200 baht. In the states, that would be triple that amount.