Given Up on Television

NickyLouie

41 minutes ago, recom273 said:

No - absolutely not!!

I have a lot of digitized copies of VHS movie / TV show tapes and laserdisc, the laserdisc rips are ok - but tapes don’t have any detail, I wonder how we used to watch it. I far enjoy watching a HD 1080 show on cinematic TV, perhaps not 75”.

I think mounting it in or on the wall takes away the idea that it dominates the room. Also, a big CRT TV used to occupy the corner of every living room I ever lived in because the tube used to take so much room. 

Agreed, we used to say that VHS wasn't good compared with broadcast TV but that after watching for a while you didn't notice so much. I'm still impressed by regular DVD's myself. Used to download and watch DVD's that had been ripped and compressed down to CD size and thought they were excellent. Just rescued a 17 inch (albeit a recent LED flat panel) unbranded TV that my mother-in-law bought to watch in her shop. She found it distracting and annoying plus it soon developed a permanent vertical red line fault so she had put it in the stockroom. It's now my back-up computer monitor.   

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Agreed, we used to say that VHS wasn't good compared with broadcast TV but that after watching for a while you didn't notice so much. I'm still impressed by regular DVD's myself. Used to download and watch DVD's that had been ripped and compressed down to CD size and thought they were excellent. Just rescued a 17 inch (albeit a recent LED flat panel) unbranded TV that my mother-in-law bought to watch in her shop. She found it distracting and annoying plus it soon developed a permanent vertical red line fault so she had put it in the stockroom. It's now my back-up computer monitor.   

If it's not a torrent, I don't, can't watch it.  Have bunch of music DVDs, but no player since laptops usually don't have.

Irrelevant, as haven't seen anything I'd pay 50 baht to watch.  If not a torrent, don't think I'd miss anything.  All seems to be time killers anyway.

• Like 1