Given Up on Television

NickyLouie

In Thailand, the government made the horrific mistake of granting a monopoly to True Visions. Their programming is atrocious. When the US, I get hundreds of channels, most of them in HD. Alot are not worth watching, but some good movie and cable TV channels and some fun stuff. Even the platinum package on True is dreadful. Shame on them, and shame on the govt. for allowing such a failure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But....but....the Thai soap opera's....The rich family, the big house, the expensive cars, the son with the gun, the screeching daughter, the poor maid and the ladyboy.........................................now there's a formula that works time and again! 

Edited by 2baht
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Anyone else prefer looking at (especially when switched off) a 20 inch 4:3 CRT television set instead of a 75+ inch monster that dominates/overpowers any room?

I watch everything on my phone, even sports/World Series....I can cast it to the big screen in the living room - but don't bother.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I watch everything on my phone, even sports/World Series....I can cast it to the big screen in the living room - but don't bother.....

It's amazing, my Mrs and the rest of the family all watch videos (even complete films) upon their mobiles. We have a 40 inch TV that only gets used for displaying the feeds from our CCTV cameras. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NickyLouie said:

You see this phonies interview where he said he could not even drive a car when he wrote all his racing songs in New Jersey?

The first of the Justin Bieber saga of manufactured artists. 

Ridiculous to compare Bieber and Springsteen. Springsteen has written so many classic songs, I couldn't name one song from Bieber.  Bowie wrote Major Tom, he was never an astronaut either.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

You see this phonies interview where he said he could not even drive a car when he wrote all his racing songs in New Jersey?

The first of the Justin Bieber saga of manufactured artists. 

So, every author out there is a phony?

As opposed to possessing a superior imagination & the ability to visualize & express their storyline, whether by song, poem, or written....

13 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

need a TV ?

I need the TV to watch the stuff I access through the internet, Kodi, Netflix, YouTube, etc.

But I get your drift, definitely don't need to pay for cable or Satellite programming.

I just enjoy watching everything on a big screen TV. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Only like it for the big screen.

The cinematic effect with the sound system is more enjoyable for movies.

The content of course is from internet.

This. Cancelled my cable subscription years ago.

Convenient to watch while exercising at home, too.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Anyone else prefer looking at (especially when switched off) a 20 inch 4:3 CRT television set instead of a 75+ inch monster that dominates/overpowers any room?

Bigger the better.

I guess if you have excellent eye site and watch TV alone a 20" screen  would be passable as entertainment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Bigger the better.

I guess if you have excellent eye site and watch TV alone a 20" screen  would be passable as entertainment. 

We managed for many years. 22 inch was a most popular screen size for a fair while. But I was really being nostalgic. As my TV is never in use, I would prefer to look at a small 'heritage' television set.

4 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

We managed for many years. 22 inch was a most popular screen size for a fair while. But I was really being nostalgic. As my TV is never in use, I would prefer to look at a small 'heritage' television set.

I remember our old 32" inch.  You needed 4 people to move it. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In that case a close up tablet may be better than a TV further away, if it's over 6 foot away HD may look like SD anyway

I've got all the tablets.  I really enjoy the big Samsung TVS. It's usually the family in the evening watching together. Very pleasant. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Or just one that really knew what she was doing.

It's called an idiot box for a reason.   I haven't had TV programming since the powers to be decided to charge for it.   Nothing they put on is worth paying for.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 7:29 AM, The Fugitive said:

No - absolutely not!!

I have a lot of digitized copies of VHS movie / TV show tapes and laserdisc, the laserdisc rips are ok - but tapes don’t have any detail, I wonder how we used to watch it. I far enjoy watching a HD 1080 show on cinematic TV, perhaps not 75”.

I think mounting it in or on the wall takes away the idea that it dominates the room. Also, a big CRT TV used to occupy the corner of every living room I ever lived in because the tube used to take so much room. 

• Love It 1