US midterm elections: What's happened to economy under Biden?

Scott

11 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Did you say "thank you, Mr. President?" 

But seriously, we are talking about the spending done by Biden- The American Rescue Plan. Maybe Joe forgot to send you a cheque.  He forgets a lot of things these days.

TBH I think Trump spent too much already by that time, Biden just made it even worse.  There was some justification in the first round of spending, but not the second. 

No, I didn't say thank you, Mr. President.  I don't usually thank people for giving me something that I paid for.  

The American Rescue Act helps a huge number of lower and middle class people.  I support helping people.   I suspect you would have wanted the US to follow Hoover's 'do nothing' policy during the Great Depression as opposed to FDR's policies.   

The Pademic was absolutely going to have a profound impact on everyone and ultimately a negative effect on the economy.   The response to the Pandemic was massively mishandled by Trump.   From the beginning, he called it a hoax, he undermined his medical professionals, he undermined mask wearing, he undermined his own vaccine.  He touted unproven medication (snake oil salesman comes to mind.  His reactions exacerbated the situation immensely.  The US, no matter what metric used, had one of the worst outcomes from Covid worldwide and the worst among developed nations.  (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality).  Covid is far from over.

So, why did the country that arguably touts having one of the best medical care in the world have such a bad outcome?

It is clear that had the pandemic been handled better the transition to a post-pandemic economic recovery would have been smoother.  But it wasn't and we are in the current situation.  Over the years, if some of the manufacturing of important industries such as microchips had been protected, we'd have fewer problems, but the pro-business Republicans were quick to do nothing to keep these businesses at home -- and make no mistake, the Democrats were not far behind.   

I am curious about what the Republicans are planning to cut inflation, besides cutting social security and medicare, which sounds pretty drastic during these economic times.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Covid is no threat any more. Hasn't been for a long time.  I still remember when we were told "just two weeks to stop the curve". 

And yes some credit to Obama in his final years in office. The economy was humming along pretty well, especially thanks to GOP control of Congress. Trump was able to continue and even improve on what he inherited. 

But we are talking about the Biden administration here. His profligate spending was the major cause of inflation. 

Covid is still killing thousands weekly.   https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

No credible financial organization maintains that Biden's stimulus spending is the major cause of inflation in the US, only pundits putting on a rage show for their audience. 

If even half of inflation were caused by the stimulus act, why is US inflation comparable to inflation in every other wealthy nation?  Simple answer:  The bulk of the global inflation is caused by supply side problems and pent up demand everywhere. 

Inflation in the US is typical of inflation in the rich world.  That' means that Biden's stimulus, which only was provided to US citizens, is not a significant driver of inflation.

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2022 at 9:20 PM, Hanaguma said:

By overspending and overborrowing, the Biden administration made everything worse. He has also made enemies of the energy industry. He is also draining the nation's strategic oil reserve for little reason. 

He came to office pledging to be a moderate voice and bring peace to a nation in turmoil. He has not done so. 

Well Biden has done it again, he just said he will close down all coal production in the USA. If this happens it's going to be a cold dark winter for many. Stupid is as stupid does. Great timing Joe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

24 hours to go. I've been waiting for this day for months. Hoping for a big win in the house and the senate by at least one seat.

Let's have some predictions!

House 230R, 218D

Senate 53R, 46D Georgia runoff lost by Walker so 53R 47D

Lee Zeldin wins New York governor in a shock victory!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Let's have some predictions!

House 230R, 218D

Senate 53R, 46D Georgia runoff lost by Walker so 53R 47D

Lee Zeldin wins New York governor in a shock victory!

I don't know enough about individual races to predict anything, but fingers crossed. On Al Jazeera some pundit said Senate might go to GOP by one vote. Certainly hope so. That'd put an end to any hope Biden may have to influence the future with new SCOTUS members.

Only going by what I've seen on Al Jazeera, but seems that abortion may influence young voters against GOP, but also claimed that young people don't vote much anyway. 24 hours and we will see if that's true.

In spite of the bold predictions of Republican glory, the red wave looks like a red ripple, with control of the Senate once again likely to go to a run-off election in Georgia.  Let's hope Trump once again does his part to discourage Republican voters in that election.

The House probably will go to Republicans, but even that is not certain.  Republicans greatly under-performed the historical norm for the opposition party in a mid-term election.

On 11/8/2022 at 6:53 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know enough about individual races to predict anything, but fingers crossed. On Al Jazeera some pundit said Senate might go to GOP by one vote. Certainly hope so. That'd put an end to any hope Biden may have to influence the future with new SCOTUS members.

Only going by what I've seen on Al Jazeera, but seems that abortion may influence young voters against GOP, but also claimed that young people don't vote much anyway. 24 hours and we will see if that's true.

24 hours and we don't know yet. I never expected such a narrow margin to eventuate.

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Why are the left taking victory laps and celebrating their performance when neither results are in? Do they know something the rest of us don't? It looks like they will lose the house, how is that a Yeehaw moment?

All they have is that it wasn't as big a defeat as they expected.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They only need a one seat majority in either house to take control. That looks like a win to me.

Historically speaking, it's a very poor showing. And as the partisans at Fox News confessed, it didn't feel like a win to them. Remember that up until the elections, the right wing was confidently predicting a blowout.

• Like 1

Just now, placeholder said:

Historically speaking, it's a very poor showing. And as the partisans at Fox News confessed, it didn't feel like a win to them. Remember that up until the elections, the right wing was confidently predicting a blowout.

I certainly was, but we all get it wrong sometimes.

I'd be happy just stopping Biden's agenda.

10 hours ago, placeholder said:

Really? You think the Republicans still have a shot to five more seat in the Senate and 44 more seats in the house?

No and No but they will win each one. I can't help it if many people in America don't think America should be a great place to live with closed borders, like every other country in the world and to be oil, gas, and coal independent. Maybe some on this forum should take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourself why are you supporting the Democrat party?

• Like 1