Lets say you found a bag or wallet

Sparktrader

4 hours ago, Boyn said:

It would seem to me to be blindingly obvious that you would open the wallet to possibly find any identification so you could return the wallet to the owner ,how could doing this ever be wrong?

if there is no ID then hand in to BIB.

If you find it ie, on the sidewalk and no ID, then keep it, but as I said, if it was a real lot of money, ie 50.000Bt or more, I would take my wife's advice.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:17 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Well done.

Same for me.

Mind you. We manage rental villas.

We try and return items but some guests do not respond when we ask.

That's always the problem when they forget to take their sex toys, gimp suits etc etc!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

I care roughly as much about you strongly advising no interference as you care about me not trusting the police. My first move would be to try and contact the owner directly. Police would be the very last option I consider. Period.

People losing stuff and getting called by those finding that stuff is something that happens everyday in every civilized country in the world including Thailand.

Happened to me 6 months ago in Europe. Received an Amazon order that wasn't mine, looked up the person on the internet, couldn't find her but succeeded in finding a relative. Got in touch. Eventually gave the parcel back to its owner (it was a neighbor).

Happy ending ! *

As for me being derogatory...
It probably as true as you being patronizing.

*No, not that happy ending...

Obviously, no-one's ever spoken to you directly about any thing important; however, because you are a foreigner in Thailand finding a lost item, you would be advised not to interfere with it; take a pic of it as you found it, and hand it in. If you opened it and took steps to locate the owner (which is entirely up to you) you run the great risk of being accused with tampering or stealing contents. Why is this so difficult to grasp! Go and annoy someone else.

2 hours ago, tandor said:

If you opened it and took steps to locate the owner (which is entirely up to you) you run the great risk of being accused with tampering or stealing contents.

Yeah sure. Find me an article that states that a farang was arrested without proof for bringing back a wallet to its Thai owner.

Thx

Edited by Baron Samedi

11 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

Yeah sure. Find me an article that states that a farang was arrested without proof for bringing back a wallet to its Thai owner.

Thx

well friend, you are the one who is so incensed by this topic; best you do your own delving. ????

PS. there was a recent incident where a wallet/purse was planted, then the finder extorted for just this. From memory CCTV footage saved his ar5e.

Edited by tandor

I lost a wallet when I was in my 20s.  It had $2 in it along with my driver's license, some other ID and a credit card.  Someone turned it in to a convenience store, which took the time to find me in the phonebook using the info on my drivers license (this was before the internet).  The $2 was gone but the ID and credit card were still there.  This was in the midwest in the U.S.

Also in the U.S. I was on a very early (pre-sunrise) morning bicycle ride and saw a woman's purse in the road, actually quite a way out in a street T-intersection and not really in front of a house.  I picked it up and took it home, and then opened it to see if there was a way to find out who it belonged to.  There was a ladies' wallet inside with some money and ID, and also a small daytimer (this was also before the internet or cell phones) with some contacts in it, so I called the first contact and was able to connect with the owner and get it to her at her work, she was a young lady working in a nearby grocery store bakery.   She was super-thankful.  I never found out how it got in the road, but figured that based on its location and that it must not have been there for very long or a motorist would have spotted it and stopped, that maybe she was leaving a party in the wee hours and put it on top of her car, but forgot and drove off, then it fell when she made a turn at that intersection.