PROCEDURES REGARDING THE DEATH OF AN EXPAT

sidleonard

I assume this topic has been dealt with elsewhere in this forum, but I have been unable to see where, so I apologize for being repetitive if I am being so.

My wife, a Thai national, and I, a US citizen, after residing for many years in the U.S., will be moving to Thailand next year and I am now doing my due diligence in preparation for the move. Thanks to the help I have received from this source, I understand how I will be affected by one of the inevitable realities facing expats, taxation, and now I am seeking information regarding the other inevitable reality facing us all, death.

Because of our age differential, it is highly likely that I will be leaving the party (so to speak) long before my wife, and it is important to me that she knows exactly what steps to take, what procedures to follow, when the time comes. I am sure there are in Thailand many retired expats who are similar to me in this regard, and I am hopeful that such individuals with knowledge of said procedures will respond, with confirmation and correction, to the following conclusions and questions resulting from my, so far, due diligence regarding this matter.

If I pass at home, I assume the first step will be for my wife to notify the police who will release my body, I assume to a mortuary, if the cause of death is without suspicion; if in the hospital, I assume the procedure will be the same. If so, please confirm which of the steps listed below (and any I have not included) are required, and in what order.

My body will be released to a mortuary; who is responsible for making this arrangement?

My death will be registered at the district Amphur office and, at the same time, a death certificate will be provided. My wife will get the certificate translated for provision to all entities requiring a copy (i.e., banks, U.S. Social Security, my retirement system, etc.)

I understand that once the Thai authorities (who exactly?) are content that the cause of death has been established and no further examinations of the body is necessary my wife can proceed with arrangements for my cremation at my wife's family wat where my cremains will be placed in a designated structure with other members of her family.

I see under US Citizen Services on the US Consulate website that “Thai authorities normally notify the U.S. Embassy when a U.S. citizen dies in Thailand.” However, since my wife is next of kin and all the services listed on the website will be taken care of by her, I assume she will not be required to notify the U.S. Consulate of my death, as I read somewhere that “Deaths must be registered in the country where the person died; not required to be registered in US.” Is this so?

I will greatly appreciate any responses to my, I am sure, imperfect understanding of all that must transpire during what will be, I assume, a difficult juncture in my wife's life.

Edited by Crossy
Removed oversize and bold font.

All deaths of foreigners in Thailand have to be reported to the police who always inform the relevant embassy, regardless of your marriage status here.  Any family in the US would be informed by the embassy.

If you die at home, your body will have to be moved to a hospital where a doctor will confirm your death and issue a death certificate.  The hospital automatically informs the police.

• Thanks 2

On 11/2/2022 at 11:21 PM, sidleonard said:

...My death will be registered at the district Amphur office and, at the same time, a death certificate will be provided. My wife will get the certificate translated for provision to all entities requiring a copy (i.e., banks, U.S. Social Security, my retirement system, etc.)...

I'm not sure but I believe as far as banks are concerned your wife will need a document from the family court stating her appointment as executor of your estate.

Your body will not be releases for burial/cremation until the US Embassy authorizes it. They in turn will do so only afterthey confirm next of kin have been notified. There is no avoiding the need to inform the Embassy. Where there is a spouse in country, permission to release the body to them is pretty quickly obtained. Your wife will need to provide the Embassy with a signed and notarized net of kin form, you can find it here

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/death-of-a-u-s-citizen/

Aside from being necessary to get the body released, the Embassy can provde an English language notification of death abroad which your wife will need if you have any assets or entitlements from a US source (bank account, pension, etc).

Thais do not usually use mortuaries. Rather the family arranges for the body to go to a local temple. Your wife will know all of that.

• Thanks 1

It would be helpful if you have a Final Will in Thailand, especially if you have children from a previous relationship and you'd rather they not inherit your assets, be they in Thailand or overseas.  If you die without a Will, Thai law will place your children, from any of your relationships, at the same level as your wife.  She will not automatically receive the balance from joint accounts, either.  They will be frozen until the bank is satisfied that she is the only heir.