How do I get retirement visa, 800k already in Thai bank

Hi, I searched google but cant quite get the answers I need based on our particular situation.  Heres the situation:

My 73 year old aunt with mild dementia is staying at a nursing home in Pattaya, she wants a retirement visa, she has 800k baht from overseas now sitting in her Thai bank account.  The last day she can start the process is Monday (someting about applying before 2 weeks of visa stamp expiry)  She has a visa exempt that has been extended one month and expires November 22nd.  Her bank branch is in Bangkok but as I said shes in Pattaya. 

Travelling back and forth to banks and immigration between cities is a serious hassle for her, do I really need to bring her all over the place to get this done?

I know we need some sort of form or bank letter stating the 800k is there, can I only get that letter/form from her intial branch she opened the account at?  Is it a difficult form to get from them?  She obviously has to be at the bank in person to request the form?

I understand the money must sit in the account for 6 months.... what happens during those initial 6 months?  Do they switch her visa to a non O and then keep extending it for her until the 6 months is up then issue an official retirement visa?  

Thankyou for any information.

27 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

To apply for a 1 year extension of stay (a permit, not a Visa) based on retirement, you must have Non Immigrant status, not Tourist status.

Your Aunt must first apply to change her status from Tourist to Non Immigrant and obtain a Non Imm O Visa from Immigration.

Procedure here;

VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 136.82 kB · 3 downloads  

Thankyou, for 5.3 do you know what evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to thailand is?  We tranferred money from her sister in Canada to my Aunt in Thailands thai bank account using Wise.

10 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Thankyou, for 5.3 do you know what evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to thailand is?  We tranferred money from her sister in Canada to my Aunt in Thailands thai bank account using Wise.

A credit advice will be need to prove it came from abroad.

• Like 2

Bank guarantee letter showing current balance can be obtained from any branch.

Unless Joe says otherwise, the bank letter confirming transfer from overseas can only be obtained from the branch maintaining the account.

Was the wise transfer coded as FTT or as a domestic transfer? 

Will YOUR immigration office accept wise PDF receipts?

Certainly an option, however I put myself in ladies situation. I would not want to burden my nephew more than absolutely necessary.

Things will only get worse. 

Certainly the OP should get power of attorney.

Along with that obtain the services of an good agent. 

Several good ones in Pattaya and I'm sure they would be familiar with dealing clients with various issues. Mobility being just one example. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Certainly an option, however I put myself in ladies situation. I would not want to burden my nephew more than absolutely necessary.

It would only be once a year so I don't think it would be that big of a burden.

Ninety day reports could be done online or by mail.

• Like 2

I've never recommended anybody use an agent, especially those agents who skirt the law, bribe their connections at the Immigration offices, etc.; however, simply for the convenience, I'd recommend you use an agent here given your aunt is on a short timeline and may not have time to get the things done properly to convert to a Non-O visa.  With a bit of assistance, the OP can maybe do the annual extension for his aunt 20-30 days before the Non-O expires.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

We have a power of attorney from Canada, will the bank recognise this?

They might accept it but it would need to be translated to Thai. A bank might also want the translation certified by the MFA.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Onerak said:

The Chocolate Man in his vlog mentioned an agent who charges 5K for retirement visa when money is already in the a bank. It takes away all the hassles and money worth spent. 

Retirement extensions cost 1900 Baht at Immigration Office. Why pay more?

• Like 1

ok so.... thankyou all for your help but Im getting a bit of conflicting info from Pattaya agents.  Ive contacted 3, they are all asking for 25k to 27k baht for a 15 month visa.  This is even with me telling them we already have 800k in a thai bank account under my aunts name as of this week.  I was kinda under the impression it would cost 5k baht with the money already in an account.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They might accept it but it would need to be translated to Thai. A bank might also want the translation certified by the MFA.

Ok so the explanation I got for the 25k baht fee using agent is because the 800k baht in her account hasnt been there for 2 months... so how on earth does someone have the 800k in the bank for 2 months BEFORE starting this retirement visa process?  They are supposed to do visa runs for the first 2 months?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Ok so the explanation I got for the 25k baht fee using agent is because the 800k baht in her account hasnt been there for 2 months... so how on earth does someone have the 800k in the bank for 2 months BEFORE starting this retirement visa process?  They are supposed to do visa runs for the first 2 months?  

That is only a Pattaya requirement. The rules state the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day the non-o visa is applied for. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only a Pattaya requirement. The rules state the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day the non-o visa is applied for. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

ok unfortunately the nursing home we found which is great is in Pattaya, so people talking about 5000 baht agents are simply not a thing for us to consider in Pattaya?  She must use the agents that charge 25k even though we have our own funds in a bank account (800k)

13 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

ok unfortunately the nursing home we found which is great is in Pattaya, so people talking about 5000 baht agents are simply not a thing for us to consider in Pattaya?  She must use the agents that charge 25k even though we have our own funds in a bank account (800k)

She may be able to get up to a 90 day extension for medical treatment if a doctor was to state she cannot travel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She may be able to get up to a 90 day extension for medical treatment if a doctor was to state she cannot travel.

Yes Id heard this option... so in that case her money would be able to sit in the bank 2 months and fulfill the Pattaya requirement and then it would be cheaper and easier to just apply for the non O visa and retirement visa after that?

3 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Yes Id heard this option... so in that case her money would be able to sit in the bank 2 months and fulfill the Pattaya requirement and then it would be cheaper and easier to just apply for the non O visa and retirement visa after that?

She could apply for the one year extension during the last 30 or 45 days of medical extension.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheLaughingMan said:

As was mentioned. 

The 800k on day of application for the non O is the norm but not available at Jomtien.

There is a parallel thread running regarding options to season money for 2 months.

Some options such as a border run is not suitable for your aunt.

The 25k you mentioned is for the non O and 12 month extension.

The next extension some approx 15 months later would be approx 13-14k .

Here is link to OP post in the other thread. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 1:37 PM, TheLaughingMan said:

We have a power of attorney from Canada, will the bank recognise this?

On 11/4/2022 at 1:42 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can do a power of attorney at the Thai bank, allowing you to conduct her banking affairs.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:30 AM, ubonjoe said:

A family member can do the extension application and with a power of attorney they can get the bank letter and etc needed from the bank.

I tried to use a power of attorney to sort out issues with the bank (Kasikorn) for a sick friend without success. They insisted that, for many kinds of transactions, the bank account owner had to be present, and there was no legal way around that. Only some simple transactions (like withdrawals with the bank book) were possible with the PoA.