Chainsaw users - Do you have any recommendations? Brands to avoid etc.

PJ71

25 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Sorry this is off topic but looking for a chainsaw to buy, perhaps 10" or 12" blade, say a few at the local farm shop for about 4K.

Any recommendations or brands to stay away from?

Split from the original topic.

Petrol (gas), battery or electric?

• Like 1

I've never really had any luck with 2-stroke engines, even a gazillion years ago my old "stroker" moped was a nightmare.

We have a Kanto 12" petrol saw; I spend more time trying to get the ruddy thing started (and re-started when it stalls) than I do actually cutting stuff. Contrast with the mower, mulcher and genset (all 4-stroke) which just work.

Hence, I just ordered a 16" (technically illegal by the way) mains electric unit from Lazada for a couple of k Baht.

I did fancy a battery unit, but Madam told me that the batteries might not last well. I do not argue with Madam :whistling:

EDIT 4-stroke chainsaws do exist, but I've never actually seen one. 

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/chainsaws/senix-trade-16-46cc-4-cycle-gas-chainsaw/cs4ql-l3/p-4221069730371264-c-10109.htm

• Like 1

I recently bought an electric chainsaw from Lazada:-

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/aridoo-12-chainsaw-2200w-i3886178793.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.132.4e084eb25DLjOU

Never had or used a chainsaw before, and same as "Madam" opted for a mains instead of battery for same reason.

Works quite well on most woods but struggles a bit with harder wood like a Mango stump I'm trying to cut out of the ground.

The motor does tend to get quite hot when cutting hard wood so I take frequent brakes, at my age it's just a well :whistling:

As mentioned in the other thread you can use just about any oil, I use 40w engine oil which seems to work, it all gets quite oily so must be ok.

Happy Cutting  :smile:

23 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I have/had a Stihl. Never any problems. Starts. runs. cuts etc. 

To paraphrase: the saw on the other side  appears greener but it Stihl has to be sharpened.

Thanks for your input, where did you buy this?

I have a Robota bought from the local shop. It appears to be a Stihl or nock off but a third of the price of a branded Stihl. It is a two stroke and I am like @Crossy when it comes to 2 strokes but this has been very good for 8 years. The local mechanic fitted Sthil parts when I needed a new chain and bar.

• Like 2

I have a little electric saw Eurox eu740.

Works well with my 1 kva generator.

I kinda of like the blade that fits on an angle grinder,may try one of them next.

From the other thread about oil.

Back in July i bought three extra chains.

Same brand as the saw and 11.5 inch on the packet and assured to fit by the salesman.

Fil just told me yesterday they don't fit,to short.????

The fun will begin on Monday when i head back to the shop in search of the right ones.

Went back to the shop yesterday and had no refund or luck.

Down the road called into another store and managed to find the right ones.

Marketing at its best,the original chain i got had for 11.5 inch bar on the packet.

That chain had 43 links.(to short)

The new chain which actually had my saw model on the packet has 45 links.(still 11.5 inch bar)

The next dilemma in the future now i know what i need is if they don't replace the packets with my saw model number on,i will have to buy chains just to open the packets to see how many links they have as they won't let you open to check.

Anyway something to keep in mind if your buying a cheaper chainsaw.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2022 at 3:08 PM, farmerjo said:

I have a little electric saw Eurox eu740.

Works well with my 1 kva generator.

I kinda of like the blade that fits on an angle grinder,may try one of them next.

From the other thread about oil.

Back in July i bought three extra chains.

Same brand as the saw and 11.5 inch on the packet and assured to fit by the salesman.

Fil just told me yesterday they don't fit,to short.????

The fun will begin on Monday when i head back to the shop in search of the right ones.

Went back to the shop yesterday and had no refund or luck.

Down the road called into another store and managed to find the right ones.

Marketing at its best,the original chain i got had for 11.5 inch bar on the packet.

That chain had 43 links.(to short)

The new chain which actually had my saw model on the packet has 45 links.(still 11.5 inch bar)

The next dilemma in the future now i know what i need is if they don't replace the packets with my saw model number on,i will have to buy chains just to open the packets to see how many links they have as they won't let you open to check.

Anyway something to keep in mind if your buying a cheaper chainsaw.

Yea, have had problems with Eurox previously too, not sure I'd go with them.

Did your sales person speak thai or did you manage with English?

1 hour ago, DrukenMallardy said:

Yea, have had problems with Eurox previously too, not sure I'd go with them.

Did your sales person speak thai or did you manage with English?

Pigeon english.

Have found a store(MAMA) now that they can tell whether 43 or 45 links.

The actual saw itself has been reliable for the price.

In the future now i have a better understanding i will look at using the excisting saw for mobile jobs with the genset and buy a bigger electric motor model for the bulk of the work where we have mains power.

• Like 1