Upcountry Bumpkin Makes First Foray To Sin City

toptuan

After living nearly five years in Thailand (all in Isaan), I've heard the horror stories about Pattaya (thanks to this forum, and gory pictures courtesy of Pattaya City News) about polluted water, roving gangs of predatory lady boys, garbage-strewn beaches, daily jumps from condo towers, etc.

Now it was I who had to go to Pattaya/Jomtien on business for three days and was dreading it.

My first pleasant surprise was to find frequent and convenient bus service from Mo-chit. Later I found out that even the premier bus company, Nakhorn Chai Air,services the BKK-Pattaya route as well (next time, I'll take that).

When we arrived at the Pattaya North station three hours later, I steeled myself to face the usual aggressive crowd of touts you find at all of Thailand's bus stations. I've learned how to look straight ahead and ignore them. "Hey YOU! Farang!! Where you go?" The first guy who walked up to me was neatly dressed, had a walkie-talkie, and a shirt plainly emblazoned with "Pattaya Tourist Information." In very courteous tones and in easily-understood English, he asked if he could be of any help. He patiently listened to my plans, and then courteously steered me toward a song-thaew that was going my direction. Again, I planned to do the usual haggle with the driver who usually piles the victims into his song-thaew and tries to exact as many baht out of them as humanly possible. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised: A sign right next the song-thaew loading dock plainly read the charges to various destinations, including a very reasonable 30 Baht to my hotel destination in Jomtien.

My next pleasant reaction was to the beautiful resorts and hotels we drove by on the way to Jomtien. At the north end of Jomtien the route changed to a scenic palm-lined beach, with wide decorative paver walkways, and a wide street for traffic. Wow, an actual walkway where you don't have to dodge noodle carts and jump over lid-less manholes! Not even Bangkok, the Big Mango, can claim this luxury.

For a very reasonable 900 baht a night, I enjoyed had a scenic unit with a beautifully landscaped pool area. Buffet breakfast included. Could hardly match that bargain anywhere in Isaan. The staff were friendly, and even offered an American "hi" with a real smile quite often. That area (mid-Jomtien) was very quiet and peaceful along the beach.

TV was another surprise. I saw so many helpful announcements aimed at visitors about the area and the services available. I also saw a number of special reports that revealed a very high level of community service and involvement by the Thai of Pattaya/Jomtien. Actually almost more community spirit than I've seen anywhere else in Thailand--akin to a well-connected small "baan" in Isaan.

One night I even kicked up my heels and did the Walking Street thing, and enjoyed some of the best live music in a bar for a couple hours for the price of two Changs. Well-behaved customers, friendly staff, but the music was the real crowd-drawing attraction. Excellent musicians and a repertoire of songs to please a wide taste in music. Walking Street reminded me a little of Khao San Rd. in BKK, but definitely with more class to it.

Aside from business, I spent a few hours window shopping at Tukcom, the "Panthip" of Pattaya, Except the crowds weren't as bad, and the staff was friendlier. Had to check my email on the run at a nearby internet shop and was charged a reasonable 30B/hr. I had expected at least double that.

All said and done, I had a very low-key. very productive, three-day visit; no ugly surprises, and a lot of pleasant surprises. I take back all the ugly things I've said and believed about Pattaya, and ask to come groveling back to the good graces of all the Patters folks who know the real story.

Respectfully yours,

TT from Upcountry

Seconded. We want Pattaya all to ourselves and not full of " country bumpkins " ( just kidding )

I have previously lived in Korat and Bangkok................but this place is definately my fave.

:o

Edited by stevemiddie

Sounds like a grand time. By any chance were you there at the same time the German guy got gunned down? Perhaps you heard the shots?

Wow, there's no crime where you live! Awesome! Tell me where it is and I'll move there.

Sounds like a grand time. By any chance were you there at the same time the German guy got gunned down? Perhaps you heard the shots?

That took 5 posts before we had a Pattaya basher or just another troll picking the top headline from the news forum. Simply stunning how long that took to put together and post.

Thanks Toptuan for keeping AN OPEN MIND and having the courtesy to say that you were pleasantly surprised by your Pattaya and Jomtien experiences; important to mention both locales since some here reckon they are two separate basket cases (the 3rd being East Pattaya). There's too many people reading too much into what the media choses to report. As someone else said in another thread, if you live here, turn off the computer and take a day (or 3) actually traveling around the whole area, seeing with your own eyes and forming your own opinions. On the other hand, if you don't live here but just have to check the Pattaya forum for your daily negativity boost and make you feel better about your current circumstances, we just don't really care.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your trip toptuan.

And kept an open mind about it.

Us locals are well aware of the good things here, as well as the areas to stay away from.

Next time you're in town, let us know in advance... and maybe we can catch up over an ale or two.

There was me waiting for the punchline "and then I woke up".

Only joking :o good post toptuan nice to see someone with an open mind writing about experiences in Pattaya. Sure it's got it's bad side but the majority of people passing through the resort never get to see that and have a bluddy good time there.

I'll be passing through July 12th to 17th and am looking forward to it very much.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your trip toptuan.

And kept an open mind about it.

Us locals are well aware of the good things here, as well as the areas to stay away from.

Next time you're in town, let us know in advance... and maybe we can catch up over an ale or two.

...and now I can add "hospitable" to my impressions. Thanks, Jai Dee! Likewise, if you make it up to Isaan, I can arrange free buffalo rides followed by a round of locally-brewed lao khao.

For the past 3 years I have been travelling from Australia to Thailand and catching the first plane to Khon Kaen - bypassing Pattaya. I returned home early this week after spending 5 days in Pattaya. Gee - I miss the place. There's been quite a few changes, which probably wouldn't be so obvious to the locals.

Some of my favourite places have gone - but others have taken their place. Pattaya is still a fun, cheap place for a beachside holiday. I'll be back for more in a few months.

Peter

Wow, there's no crime where you live! Awesome! Tell me where it is and I'll move there.

In the two years I've lived in Udon Thani to the best of my knowledge no farang has been murdered. I get around a lot and most likely would have heard such news.

Of course there's crime here. However it seems there is a farang murdered on a weekly basis in Pattaya.

I've talked to many people who love Pattaya and go there at least twice a year. They've told me about the great times they've had. I'm sure if I visited Pattaya I would probably enjoy myself too. However that doesn't change the fact that Pattaya has a well-deserved reputation for violence/murder; unless all the newspaper articles and television coverage are just blatant lies and staged events.......I happen to believe the murders happen.

I can't wait for the responses from the PDL (Pattaya Defenders League); if they can pull their heads out of the sand long enough.

Why is it called trolling or bashing when someone states facts? Or am I wrong about the murders in Pattaya.....they aren't really happening? :o

Pattaya is one of my favourite playgrounds in the whole world. Stop in for 48 hrs & go nuts. Couldn't live there though. It would do my head in after about four weeks if I didn't have a job. Kudos to the people who live there and enjoy it.

My recpipe. Pattaya for 3 - 5 days per month - perfect!

Soundman.

In the two years I've lived in Udon Thani to the best of my knowledge no farang has been murdered. I get around a lot and most likely would have heard such news.

Of course there's crime here. However it seems there is a farang murdered on a weekly basis in Pattaya.

I've talked to many people who love Pattaya and go there at least twice a year. They've told me about the great times they've had. I'm sure if I visited Pattaya I would probably enjoy myself too. However that doesn't change the fact that Pattaya has a well-deserved reputation for violence/murder; unless all the newspaper articles and television coverage are just blatant lies and staged events.......I happen to believe the murders happen.

I can't wait for the responses from the PDL (Pattaya Defenders League); if they can pull their heads out of the sand long enough.

Why is it called trolling or bashing when someone states facts? Or am I wrong about the murders in Pattaya.....they aren't really happening? :o

The line in your post " If I visited Pattaya" says it all.

Like the OP did, why not come with an open mind and meet some of the fine people who make the place their home ?

If you then wished to come on here and continually slag Pattaya and all who live here; at least you would have a modicum of knowledge to base your rants around and perhaps someone may listen.

Pattaya is like any major city that exists on the back of diverse industries, which in the main cater for the tourist trade. In SE Asia that can and in the case of parts of downtown Pattaya, does mean that there are a large number of people who feed of that trade in a criminal manner. Ever been to Hamburg, Amsterdam, Manchester, Birmingham etc etc........The list is endless of cities that have a dark underbelly which can not be denied. However, like Pattaya, there are also some lovely areas where a man can retire in peace and enjoy life to the full.

From your home in the bright lights of Udon, Pattaya may look like one big sin city. It is not. There are areas where it is best not to walk late at night, as I am sure there are areas albeit to a lesser degree in your town where you may tread in the odd cow pat or three. I will not slag of Udon as I have not spent a great deal of time there. Please try to be objective and fair, when making your comments on Pattaya.

There is actually a murder of a farang every five minute in Pattaya.

Half of the baht buses on the street are used as body wagons for the recently departed. This is because they get 10 baht for each farang body and only 5 for each Thai.

Stay away from here as if your life depends on it!

Seriously, though. You can get murdered in just about any city, I would imagine that in Pattaya, most murders are from people you know, so you have some control over that. For pure walking around day or night, Pattaya feels to me much safer than any American city I can name.

Edited by Jingthing

The line in your post " If I visited Pattaya" says it all.

Like the OP did, why not come with an open mind and meet some of the fine people who make the place their home ?

If you then wished to come on here and continually slag Pattaya and all who live here; at least you would have a modicum of knowledge to base your rants around and perhaps someone may listen.

Pattaya is like any major city that exists on the back of diverse industries, which in the main cater for the tourist trade. In SE Asia that can and in the case of parts of downtown Pattaya, does mean that there are a large number of people who feed of that trade in a criminal manner. Ever been to Hamburg, Amsterdam, Manchester, Birmingham etc etc........The list is endless of cities that have a dark underbelly which can not be denied. However, like Pattaya, there are also some lovely areas where a man can retire in peace and enjoy life to the full.

From your home in the bright lights of Udon, Pattaya may look like one big sin city. It is not. There are areas where it is best not to walk late at night, as I am sure there are areas albeit to a lesser degree in your town where you may tread in the odd cow pat or three. I will not slag of Udon as I have not spent a great deal of time there. Please try to be objective and fair, when making your comments on Pattaya.

Still no answer to my question.....am I wrong about the murders in Pattaya? Do they not happen at an alarming rate? Why is discussing the murder rate in Pattaya and comparing it with other areas of Thailand off-limits?

I've visited New Orleans many times and had a blast each and every time. That doesn't change the fact that it is one of the murder capitals of the United States. Am I slagging New Orleans because I talk about the high murder rate there?

Why is the PDL afraid of the facts/truth?

BTW, I don't slag all who live in Pattaya.....I understand Dr. Naam is a fine and upstanding Pattaya citzen. :D I'm sure there are many others.

I have no desire to visit Pattaya; and I'm sure they don't want me. I've been here long enough to know how to keep a low profile but there's too much stray lead flying for my taste. Here's hoping you never encounter any. :o

ps - when Udon starts having a murder each week please feel free to comment at length even if you don't come here.