Health Insurance for Renewal of Permission to Stay - O A Visa

Dear All,

Since I last went through the process, there have been a number of changes to the requirements for health insurance, notably the opportunity to self insure.  I have copied the relevant information below.  I have AETNA insurance, but they will not increase my cover to the 3 million Baht now required.  I have an overseas policy from AXA, which meets the 3 million Baht requirement, but I am at a loss at how this can be accepted by Immigration, as the English translation below is not clear to me.  Could somebody kindly clarify the steps that need to be taken to certify my overseas policy?  I doubt that my embassy would help. I have no idea what the reference to "letters of refusaI" is. I am British and my Immigration Office is Tha Yang.  Thanks in advance.

image.png.e6154acb1e8ab2012d52cfb5a7c03e93.png

Try this   https://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

This is the Foreign Insurance Certificate.  Ask your foreign insurance company to complete this form.  As far as I know this is the only way to get foreign health insurance to be considered for the OA Visa. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

Honestly, when reading 5.2 and 5.3.2 it becomes obvious that the Thai insurance remains the only option. And that looks deliberate, which implies undisguised corruption.

When dealing with BOI things are glaringly different. But let's hope that they keep control.

5 hours ago, rwill said:

It looks like all you need is a letter of refusal from your insurance company to sell you a 3 million baht policy.  (5.3.1)

That's how it

reads to me too.  So if you get this letter, you don't need insurance? Hmmm.

13 minutes ago, khm2412 said:

That's how it

reads to me too.  So if you get this letter, you don't need insurance? Hmmm.

No it does not mean that.  The Translation is probably incorrect.  I believe it means No Visa or no renewal.  

This is the accurate bullet point for section 5.3:

6.3 In the event that the insurance company refuses to purchase all or part of the health insurance
Must have a deposit balance in a commercial bank account located in Thailand for not less than 3,000,000 baht
before applying for at least 2 months or have a deposit in a commercial bank account located in Thailand
and other health insurance limits are not calculated together. Less than 3,000,000 baht for medical treatment
There must be proof of refusal to purchase health insurance certified by the insurance company.
or certified by a foreign embassy in Thailand or certifying the signature of the person authorized
to sign the documents presented (Notary) from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant, as the case may be.

So if you cannnot or will not purchase the OA Visa health insurance then one has to put 3 Million Baht in the bank.  

Good luck.  Either way it is not a great choice.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 2