Returning to Thailand (visa exempt) after long stay on covid extensions

I was in Thailand from March 2020 until end of sept 2022 on visa exempt+covid extensions.

Since then ive been between vietnam and cambodia. 

I would like to return to Thailand for 2 weeks, this month. I will have been out of Thailand for 56 days approximately.

Will I have an issue on entry via BKK? I will have outward ticket back to vietnam and vietnam visa printout in hand, if it makes a difference.

Reason I ask is, I have this vague memory of someone telling me theres a rolling 180 day rule similar to the schengen zone, meaning I wouldnt be able to enter due to having been in thailand for more than 180 days in the last year. 

Is that right?

1 minute ago, Adam219 said:

Reason I ask is, I have this vague memory of someone telling me theres a rolling 180 day rule similar to the schengen zone, meaning I wouldnt be able to enter due to having been in thailand for more than 180 days in the last year. 

Is that right?

No, that is wrong , there is no 180 day rule

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2022 at 2:11 AM, mikeymike100 said:

Immigration may well ask what were you doing in Thailand for so long, where did you get your funds. May depend on your age, if you are under 50 say?

Yeah, I'm expecting that, "investments" will be my reply

@Adam219 

With regards to the 180 day rule like Schengen, I also don't think there's formally such a rule in Thailand. That being said, on several Thai embassy websites around the world, do note there is such a liner regarding visa-exempt stays "foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry." Were your COVID extensions done against an original visa-exempt entry?

Based on the other threads, I would say the "safest" way to re-enter in your case would probably be via one of the land borders (note you only can do 2 max of those per calendar year). May work for you since you're already in a neighbouring country (i.e. Cambodia/Vietnam).

Anyway, do update your re-entry experience here in due time when you have the chance. All the best!