Cambodia is better than Thailand. Change my mind..?

bob smith

1 minute ago, Onerak said:

Hmm. $370 for one year in Cambodia. In Pattay it is 15K BHT for one year (at least used to be in 2020/2021). Not much difference to talk about. 

Did you forget 800kbht in the bank, paperwork and queues?

PS it's normally under $300, $370 was a rip off.

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

Hmm. $370 for one year in Cambodia. In Pattay it is 15K BHT for one year (at least used to be in 2020/2021). Not much difference to talk about. 

People keep mentioning that but I still don't know who provides the service. Do they also put the 400,000 in the bank for you? Because that's what I need 

Was in SR and PP a month ago. SR was dead empty, maybe a couple of dozen people on pub street at 9 PM on a Sat night. Tales of $150 condo's on offer and about 75% of the hotels are still closed..

Didn't seem any cheaper than Chiang Mai except for the rent. Restaurant choice was limited. I ate at the high end place a cab takes you to after Angkor that's like a garden, but Cambo food is pretty blah compared to Thai. You can get a decent house wine by the glass in most restaurants; can't think of another advantage over Thailand.

PP has been seriously ruined by traffic since my last look in half a dozen years ago. My only decent meal was at a branch of the Fuji sushi chain at the big mall (which was not much of a mall by Thai standards).

Great to be completely alone in the Angkor Wat complex, but can't imagine going back for third look. PP felt like Jakarta with quainter buildings.

On 11/8/2022 at 6:10 AM, Scouse123 said:

I agree!

Spot on regards Scambodia.

I don't know much these days though about Southern Thailand as we seldom go anymore as my other half is not keen and says they are just not friendly enough for her.

Try phangan and she will see it differently but yeah, southern Thais are different, just like Bangkok when not having been a while, you need to adjust a few days. I always said the same but since having been half a year I take previous words back.

It is almost an utopia on phangan actually, you see foreigners do whatever they like, run businesses without Thai staff, and somehow it just works perfectly fine. While if you did that elsewhere in TH, you be raided within a week most likely. Rarely police presence too.

Maybe that is not forever as well, but as long it still is like that, that is one of the last places reminding me of the old Thailand. It is a bit like the island is a independent country itself. When entire phangan was mask free, the rest of TH still was wearing masks 6 months.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 11/8/2022 at 1:17 PM, Thingamabob said:

Cambodia is cheaper than Thailand so perhaps better for those on a limited budget. However in terms of security, general facilities, hospitals, food and entertainment,Thailand is way ahead in my opinion.

Vietnam wins of all of them but the visa over there, long-term, is even harder. To be honest I think people miss out big time by saving on the additional flight from TH to VN and then going to Cambodia or Laos instead, as it can be reached by land.

Well vietnam too via cambodia of course but nowadays you don't see the 6-12 month real backpackers that often anymore, people became way more static or do multiple trips, maybe that changes back now flights are expensive, over time.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 11/9/2022 at 9:16 AM, BritManToo said:

Did you forget 800kbht in the bank, paperwork and queues?

PS it's normally under $300, $370 was a rip off.

800k is only retirement single people, for most it is just 400k which you can still invest 9-10 months a year. Also way more easy as it does not need to be a international transfer.

Anyway, the 15K he mentioned is the cheapest possible agent in PTY to do it without money, today that be 20K. So let's say 500 dollars to be fair compared to the average of 350 dollars in cambodia, while you are then in half a slum with homeless glue sniffing kids, and a lack of many facilities, places and services. Prices and inflation didn't stand still in Cambodia either, the old 250-300 is now 350-400.

With other words, you still end up paying another 350 dollars a year, just because many things are more expensive there, or because you need to go abroad to get them once a year etc. If you ask me, the real real complaining people, they could not even arrange the 20-30K visa fees, so they actually should really not be living here, right now.

Those who not want the agent, but also not have the 800K, and not wanna marry to get 400K option, are the issue themselves.

Edited by ChaiyaTH