PM and tourism minister urged to extend pub opening hours and stop "ineffective" 2-5pm booze ban

webfact

On 11/10/2022 at 4:19 PM, kingstonkid said:

I question if this is BS or not you walk around nana on suk and they start drinking at 10 in the morning straight through to closing 

The bar's license seems to cover sales between 2-5pm or is that just a "police licence" you need to pay for weekly or monthly? Buying from any shop with an electronic till is basically impossible.

I question if this is BS or not you walk around nana on suk and they start drinking at 10 in the morning straight through to closing 

The bar's license seems to cover sales between 2-5pm or is that just a "police licence" you need to pay for weekly or monthly? Buying from any shop with an electronic till is basically impossible.

The bar's license seems to cover sales between 2-5pm or is there a "police licence" you need to pay for weekly or monthly?

Buying from any shop with an electronic till is basically impossible.

The bar's license seems to cover sales between 2-5pm or is there a "police licence" you need to pay for weekly or monthly?

Buying from any shop with an electronic till is basically impossible, in Bangkok anyway.

On 11/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, spidermike007 said:

Nobody was ever saved from alcoholism by the 2pm to 5pm law. It is beyond stupid. Anyone can plan a binge a few hours in advance. Time to allow the adults to start make some decisions. 

I do wonder if it reduced the number of kids being mown down by some drunk driving home though......

On 11/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, spidermike007 said:

Nobody was ever saved from alcoholism by the 2pm to 5pm law. It is beyond stupid. Anyone can plan a binge a few hours in advance. Time to allow the adults to start make some decisions. 

But wholesale or Mom & Pop. Always available 2-5.

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I have to say I have been here many years myself and one of the reasons I have never "bought" anywhere here is what has happened to you. But you must realise it hasn't just happened to you it is every other person in the building, that would be 90% if they stuck to the rules on Condos. Nobody else complains of course. The building owners must not have paid off the land owners where the bars have been built. Have a polite word in the juristic office if you speak enough Thai. I would bet you are not alone. 

No, I am not alone. We (very many) have made very many complaints at the police and the City Hall. We and also the manager went several times to the City Hall. We made signature lists and presented them to the City Hall. We tried to talk to the bar owners. In the end they can do what they want to do. You have no chance against them. 

Imagine you have a room neighbour and it switches on the music full power every night until two in the morning or even later and you can nothing do against it. Somehow unbelievable. But this is how our situation has been for very many years. And technically in respect of windows there is nothing more that I can do. And I spent a lot. I use earplugs in addition. The only option is to abandon the condo. I and many others gave up complaining in the meantime because it is useless and sometimes even made the noise worse... And I am afraid this coming week the government will decide to extend the opening times... 

Any reduction on something harmful will have a positive effect. Small or big. And drinking too much booze is harmful. But this 2-5 restriction does really serve no purpose, the effect is so unimaginable small. Time to get rid of this once and for all.

It is a little bit like saying that you cannot drive a car between 2 and 5. This would reduce the number of car accidents. To disallow cars at all is even more effective - there would be NO car accidents anymore. Is it therefore desirable even if actually lives are saved ?

That is all such a BS that this rule should be removed. It is neither practical nor has a positive effect. It is annoying - nothing else.

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I do wonder if it reduced the number of kids being mown down by some drunk driving home though......

If an arcane rule like this had any effect, it is likely many nations would adopt it. How many nations are following Thailand's lead, especially with the rate or road related deaths here?

It always amuses me at the Rimping Supermarket (CNX) at 4.55pm....

seeing customers with their shopping trolley's stacked with beer and wine parked in the alternate queue at the check-out, waiting for the cash register's clocks to hit 5pm. 

It kinda reminds me of the old "early opener" pubs back in Sydney that used to open at 6am.  There'd be half a dozen customers waiting on the doorstep half an hour before opening time....  

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If an arcane rule like this had any effect, it is likely many nations would adopt it. How many nations are following Thailand's lead, especially with the rate or road related deaths here?

It was standard for me growing up in the UK.... 

They have adopted it in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and the result is extremely low drunk driving deaths. Drink driving has become socially unacceptable in the UK now, but I just don't see that attitude becoming commonplace here, in the  locals, and sadly many tourists and  Expats. 

You already state the number of road deaths is high here, do you expect removal of alcohol restrictions would reduce that, or increase the numbers. 

Edited by jacko45k

According to the Minister of Tourism and Sports, a proposal to extend bar hours to 4am in tourist zones in #Thailand has been postponed for Cabinet discussion to November 29th. This means it will run up against the World Cup now.

https://twitter.com/The_PattayaNews/status/1592005818844844033

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It was standard for me growing up in the UK.... 

They have adopted it in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and the result is extremely low drunk driving deaths. Drink driving has become socially unacceptable in the UK now, but I just don't see that attitude becoming commonplace here, in the  locals, and sadly many tourists and  Expats. 

You already state the number of road deaths is high here, do you expect removal of alcohol restrictions would reduce that, or increase the numbers. 

It would barely have any effect, if you are speaking of the 2pm to 5pm prohibition. Alcohol is easy to find, many already have it stocked at home and I just don't see what function this serves, other than to be an inconvenience for many. 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It would barely have any effect, if you are speaking of the 2pm to 5pm prohibition. Alcohol is easy to find, many already have it stocked at home and I just don't see what function this serves, other than to be an inconvenience for many. 

Well personally I am more inconvenienced by the morning restriction as that is when I do my shopping, and like to buy a variety of canned beers for the week.  (To go with the bottles I buy too). I can get them near the house at an open all hours distributor, but they simply do not carry the variety of BigCX.

I do not agree it would barely have an effect... it would save lives, I have often seen a few minivan drivers enjoying a few late afternoon beers before driving back towards Bangkok... and I don't believe selling odd bottles between 2pm and 5pm is needed. Would you have then reintroduce selling alcohol at fuel service stations too? 

I think alcohol sales are quite liberal here.... 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well personally I am more inconvenienced by the morning restriction as that is when I do my shopping, and like to buy a variety of canned beers for the week.  (To go with the bottles I buy too). I can get them near the house at an open all hours distributor, but they simply do not carry the variety of BigCX.

I do not agree it would barely have an effect... it would save lives, I have often seen a few minivan drivers enjoying a few late afternoon beers before driving back towards Bangkok... and I don't believe selling odd bottles between 2pm and 5pm is needed. Would you have then reintroduce selling alcohol at fuel service stations too? 

I think alcohol sales are quite liberal here.... 

Are you saying no mini marts or 7/11's at gas stations sell beer? 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:16 AM, Mickeymaus said:

No, I am not alone. We (very many) have made very many complaints at the police and the City Hall. We and also the manager went several times to the City Hall. We made signature lists and presented them to the City Hall. We tried to talk to the bar owners. In the end they can do what they want to do. You have no chance against them. 

Imagine you have a room neighbour and it switches on the music full power every night until two in the morning or even later and you can nothing do against it. Somehow unbelievable. But this is how our situation has been for very many years. And technically in respect of windows there is nothing more that I can do. And I spent a lot. I use earplugs in addition. The only option is to abandon the condo. I and many others gave up complaining in the meantime because it is useless and sometimes even made the noise worse... And I am afraid this coming week the government will decide to extend the opening times... 

A case of "This Is Thailand". Sounds like you have done what you can. You have my sympathy.

Where are the bars and how long have they been there? How many Thais and Farangs have signed the petition by percentage of the number of residents affected in the area (not just your building)? 

Sounds like the Council could be looking for an incentive if it's not in a zone. 

50 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

A case of "This Is Thailand". Sounds like you have done what you can. You have my sympathy.

Where are the bars and how long have they been there? How many Thais and Farangs have signed the petition by percentage of the number of residents affected in the area (not just your building)? 

Sounds like the Council could be looking for an incentive if it's not in a zone. 

Let's forget the story. A very unpleasant and expensive experience. I will never buy a condo here again. You have no rights. The entertainment venues can do what they want. You as condo owner are not important. After more than 25 years here in Central Pattaya I am forced to move ????????????

• Like 1