PayPal no longer available to foreigners in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo

By Jonathan Fairfield

Regulatory changes aimed at combating money laundering mean that the services offered by PayPal are no longer available to foreigners in Thailand and may even be out of reach for many Thais.

It is almost one year to the day since PayPal first announced that it was relaunching its services in Thailand.

The relaunch was necessary in order for the company to comply with new regulations in Thailand after the government overhauled regulation of the country’s fintech sector.

In order to comply with the regulations, only those with a registered business account would be able to use PayPal to send and receive money and pay for goods and services online.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/thailand-news/paypal-no-longer-available-to-foreigners-in-thailand/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-11-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In order to comply with the regulations, only those with a registered business account would be able to use PayPal to send and receive money and pay for goods and services online

So which part of this excludes foreigners from being able to use the service?

I don't hate PayPal for this. I am sure they wouldn't do this change if they could keep the business like it is. They follow the law, or else.

So what are the options for us? I recently logged in to my PayPal account and they tell me I have to enter my Thai ID card number. I am not Thai, so I don't have that number.

Are there other options for foreigners? I.e. entering the number of a Thai driver license or something like that?

How easy is it for other people, like the Thai gf, to open an account?

These days I don't use PayPal much anymore, I guess I could live without it. But obviously it doesn't hurt to have an account. What do you do?

3 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

The part, where you must have firstly, a Thai ID. And secondly, a legally registered business. Unfortunate, really. So it goes. Nothing stays the same forever. Especially here. 

Okay. The Thai ID wasn't mentioned in the OP. If it was simply that you need a legally registered business then it wouldn't have been specifically stopping foreigners.

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I remember when the US government provide Bangkok Bank in New York from sending me money into my account here in Thailand the never ending battle of money laundering TIT

I can remember the pensions department refusing to send my pension to the Thai bank of Asia as they said the money would never reach my account. They sent it to Thai Farmers, after 2 weeks i asked the bank about the money, they said Quote" It had an accident and went to the wrong account". Next day it was in my account. The account it went to was a bank employee.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't hate PayPal for this. I am sure they wouldn't do this change if they could keep the business like it is. They follow the law, or else.

So what are the options for us? I recently logged in to my PayPal account and they tell me I have to enter my Thai ID card number. I am not Thai, so I don't have that number.

Are there other options for foreigners? I.e. entering the number of a Thai driver license or something like that?

How easy is it for other people, like the Thai gf, to open an account?

These days I don't use PayPal much anymore, I guess I could live without it. But obviously it doesn't hurt to have an account. What do you do?

If you have a Pink Card or Yellow House Book entering your id number on that may be worth a try.

Edited by edwinchester

31 minutes ago, Na Fan said:

Ban foreign companies and then create a local one to take its place and make billions.

Exactly what China is doing also. Peas in a pod.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

You do realize this has absolutely nothing to do with PayPal.

idtent here needs it explained coz I have no idea what you mean?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

The less farang meddling in illegal activities the better.

Do you read the news??? Check out the number of Chinese, Thai Police, Thai ex Police and Admin officials that have been involved in illegal activities lately. Racism at it's worst!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1