PayPal no longer available to foreigners in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, Mickeymaus said:

Behind this is the USA. I never forget when they closed all my US bank accounts because of the George Bush Patriot Act. This happened after I moved from the US to Asia. Also try to open a bank account for instance in Switzerland as US citizen. Many banks don't want to have anything to do with US citizens anymore. 

Yes, I think the US is the worst in this one.

For example a Dutch guy born in the USA but living in the Netherlands have to file a tax return for the USA.

30 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Does this only apply to PayPal accounts linked to Thai bank accounts? I just opened my account and I didn't see any notifications.

Did you get an email yet from a Nigerian telling you the account was suspended due to unusual activity?

24 minutes ago, dpcjsr said:

Money laundering laws have always been a joke. They are ineffective and harmful but they give power to the elite to control your money. Enough said. 

Really? How do you know?

Insider knowledge?

Or something you saw somewhere on the internet?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Yes, I think the US is the worst in this one.

For example a Dutch guy born in the USA but living in the Netherlands have to file a tax return for the USA.

Yes, as US citizen you will be taxed worldwide. I am not a US citizen ????????????. I worked in the US for a while.

Anyone who is familiar with Jim Browning's YouTube channel where he catches scammers especially from India. In a recent video he stated he cannot understand why these scammers mainly use Thai bank accounts to launder there money and why the Thai government does little about it. I doubt anyone laundering money is going to use PayPal. They have there own team of investigators having previously worked with them before and are quick to freeze accounts they even suspect of laundering.

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

So which part of this excludes foreigners from being able to use the service?

As far as i understand it should be possible opening in country where have "national id-number". But, paying tax to ghailand (as guess most falangs do) you get tax-id number. Anyone tried that ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

I can quite literally feel the hate.

Well done paypal for preventing me from having a few thousand Baht available online for easy use.

I'm sure this change will do absolutely zero to 'save the world' from the usual excuses of money laundering and preventing terrorism and make many thousands of people hate the company even more than they already do.

I never had this kind of problem with Bitcoin. It just works and doesn't care who you are or where you are.

It wasn't Paypal who chose to do this - and Bitcoin is sh^t

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, 0815 said:

PayPal - one of the dumbest companies anyway.
Can't count how many times they sent emails (from an address you can't reply to) asking me to add a Thai ID number to my account.

Which part about that is dumb?

If a company wants something from me, I would for security reasons always log into my account and then follow whatever they request.

Clicking on links in emails or replying to them is asking for trouble. Or should we call it dumb?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You are misinformed. This has nothing at all to do with PayPal. It has everything to do with new demands by the Thai government. PayPal is merely abiding by them, doing as it's told by the government. Do you really think that PayPal voluntarily wants to lose customers?

Are you sure about that? PayPal have given no clear explanation for the changes, and why they could not come to an agreement with the Thai government to use passport identification as other financial companies do.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

If you have a Pink Card or Yellow House Book entering your id number on that may be worth a try.

Not for the banks approval criteria. Only Thai nationals allowed. This is all about money laundering (Thai Govt. new rules) and is also the reason for the Cash Machine Deposit new rules.

• Like 2

PayPal have been holding $1,300 on our Biz Account for over a year and have done nothing to release the funds. They froze the accounts at the beginning of this mess over a year ago. They ignore emails and are in fact a defunct business that has for all intents and purposes frozen funds with no response. It is impossible to reach them. If and when I can release the funds, I will terminate the account and never use them again. Completely useless.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

I can quite literally feel the hate.

Well done paypal for preventing me from having a few thousand Baht available online for easy use.

I'm sure this change will do absolutely zero to 'save the world' from the usual excuses of money laundering and preventing terrorism and make many thousands of people hate the company even more than they already do.

I never had this kind of problem with Bitcoin. It just works and doesn't care who you are or where you are.

Not sure why you're mad at PP for changes required by new regulations promulgated by Thai financial regulators ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JayClay said:

So which part of this excludes foreigners from being able to use the service?

The part that says that if you want a a personal account with pay pal you have to register with NDID in Thailand and you can not register for NDID unless you are a Thai National and have a Thai ID card/number and the pink card for foreigners is not accepted

Has anyone successfully used a Thai PINK ID card to register with PayPal?

PayPal specifically exclude this and state . .

"You will initially need to provide your full legal name in English, and your Thai national ID number (other forms of identification which do not have a 13-digit Thai national ID number, such as a non-Thai passport, work permit, non-Thai Identification card (pink ID), or Thai Permanent Resident Permit cannot be accepted)."

However, my Thai PINK ID card DOES have a 13-digit number.
PayPal mistaken or what?

13 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Are you sure about that? PayPal have given no clear explanation for the changes, and why they could not come to an agreement with the Thai government to use passport identification as other financial companies do.

PayPal have stated very clearly in their emails why they are taking the steps they are, more than once. They did discuss with the Thai government over the past year ways to mitigate the new law and we originally were told that private individuals could continue as usual and the rule would only apply to companies. Then - surprise surprise - the government did a U-turn and blocked that.

• Like 1

I'm so angry at Paypal for following local laws.  ????

That said, for money laundering, Paypal is the present day equivalent of using gold bar smuggling vests when people were moving towards wire transfers for everything.