PayPal no longer available to foreigners in Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

In order to comply with the regulations, only those with a registered business account would be able to use PayPal to send and receive money and pay for goods and services online.

Backwards step Thailand.

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well done paypal for preventing me from having a few thousand Baht available online for easy use.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The relaunch was necessary in order for the company to comply with new regulations in Thailand after the government overhauled regulation of the country’s fintech sector.

Nothing to do with Paypal

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

If you have a Pink Card or Yellow House Book entering your id number on that may be worth a try.

These are the requirements. I have a Pink ID card, which I keyed in. You then have to have an NDID, which I haven't registered, go to the bank etc....

I think I can live without PayPal.

Screenshot (665).png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

PayPal have stated very clearly in their emails why they are taking the steps they are, more than once. They did discuss with the Thai government over the past year ways to mitigate the new law and we originally were told that private individuals could continue as usual and the rule would only apply to companies. Then - surprise surprise - the government did a U-turn and blocked that.

No they haven't or at least they have never sent any me any such Emails.
They are required by Thai Law to verify accounts and Paypal has chosen to use NDID because it's the simplest for them but only supports Thai ID numbers. Funny thing is NDID is a private Company nothing to do with the government.

https://www.ndid.co.th/

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am not Thai but I do have an id number (pink card).

It was rejected as not a valid Thai number.

This is not PayPal's fault. It is the 'we are in control' Thai government making the rules.

My ID number (Pink, I'm not Thai), was accepted, but there are other hurdles, as detailed above.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am not Thai but I do have an id number (pink card).

It was rejected as not a valid Thai number.

This is not PayPal's fault. It is the 'we are in control' Thai government making the rules.

Paypal are required by Thai Law to verify accounts and Paypal has chosen to use NDID system because it's the simplest for them but only supports Thai ID's. They could manually verify accounts if they wanted.

6 hours ago, Celsius said:

You do realize this has absolutely nothing to do with PayPal.

Yes it does!

Paypal are required by Thai Law to verify accounts and they have chosen to use NDID verification system because it's the simplest for them but only supports Thai ID's. They could manually verify accounts if they wanted to but they don't.

Edited by monkfish
  • Like 1

Well, it was fun: had online shops with PayPal payment system attached. Seems that it is over. Oki-doki, will switch to another credit card processor. They are plenty.

Just visit their website and can't stop laughing: 

who wrote that?
Oopsie: here is NDID address:

Muang Thai-Phatra Complex, Tower B, 27th Floor 252/125 (A) Ratchadaphisek Road, Huai Khwang, Bangkok 10310

^^^ basically next door. Worth visit.

Edited by NativeBob

4 hours ago, JayClay said:
4 hours ago, Songlaw said:

The part, where you must have firstly, a Thai ID. And secondly, a legally registered business. Unfortunate, really. So it goes. Nothing stays the same forever. Especially here. 

Okay. The Thai ID wasn't mentioned in the OP.

It was very clearly mentioned in the OP link which is part of the OP..

I have a business PayPal opened 7 years ago in Thailand 

Verified with a old ais mobile bill.

Have on average 40-50k gbp throught it per year but only half of it is profit.

No way in the world am I paying tax on it.

Off to the Philippines next week to open a bank and PayPal, best long term solution, then back to hh

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:
4 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Foreigners living in Thailand can still use PayPal to send money.

They will not be able to receive money.

I doubt that. It is not what has been said in any communication I've had from PayPal, and to log into your account you now need a Thai ID card.

Where did you read otherwise, please?

Where did you read otherwise, please?

He didn't.

32 minutes ago, monkfish said:

No they haven't or at least they have never sent any me any such Emails.

Well, many of us have commented on this site about the emails they have been receiving over the past year about this. Strange that you haven't received any. Is the email contact address you gave them still valid?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ginner said:

I can remember the pensions department refusing to send my pension to the Thai bank of Asia as they said the money would never reach my account. They sent it to Thai Farmers, after 2 weeks i asked the bank about the money, they said Quote" It had an accident and went to the wrong account". Next day it was in my account. The account it went to was a bank employee.

What is the "Thai Bank of Asia"?

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They sent it to Thai Farmers, after 2 weeks i asked the bank about the money, they said Quote" It had an accident and went to the wrong account". Next day it was in my account. The account it went to was a bank employee.

Yeah, right.  Of course, they'd admit to that damning detail.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Yes, I think the US is the worst in this one.

For example a Dutch guy born in the USA but living in the Netherlands have to file a tax return for the USA.

That's because he is an American citizen..........we have to pay Uncle Sam irregardless of where we live.   Now there are some very good exemptions for certain people working overseas if their company qualifies..........but we digress??

Edited by TunnelRat69

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't hate PayPal for this. I am sure they wouldn't do this change if they could keep the business like it is. They follow the law, or else.

So what are the options for us? I recently logged in to my PayPal account and they tell me I have to enter my Thai ID card number. I am not Thai, so I don't have that number.

Are there other options for foreigners? I.e. entering the number of a Thai driver license or something like that?

How easy is it for other people, like the Thai gf, to open an account?

These days I don't use PayPal much anymore, I guess I could live without it. But obviously it doesn't hurt to have an account. What do you do?

Question:

Is payPal involved somewhere in the process when I use my K+ smartphone app to buy something in Thailand using the QR cade?

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, many of us have commented on this site about the emails they have been receiving over the past year about this. Strange that you haven't received any. Is the email contact address you gave them still valid?

PayPal have stated very clearly in their emails why they are taking the steps they are, more than once. 

Yes I have received Emails from Paypal no problem there

But what I mean is I have never received Emails from Paypal "stated very clearly" why they have chosen to only use the NDID system for account verification.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0815 said:

PayPal - one of the dumbest companies anyway.
Can't count how many times they sent emails (from an address you can't reply to) asking me to add a Thai ID number to my account.

"Can't count how many times they sent emails (from an address you can't reply to)"

You didn't think of messaging them through the facility provided on your account or picking up the phone and calling them?    Those who did that had everything explained to them very clearly.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't hate PayPal for this. I am sure they wouldn't do this change if they could keep the business like it is. They follow the law, or else.

So what are the options for us? I recently logged in to my PayPal account and they tell me I have to enter my Thai ID card number. I am not Thai, so I don't have that number.

Are there other options for foreigners? I.e. entering the number of a Thai driver license or something like that?

Did you get a COVID vaccination here ? If you did then try the 13 digit number on your certificate, it has worked for a few other cases that needed a 13 digit Thai ID. I am sure PayPal doesn’t have access to the Interior Ministry’s computer to check if the number is legit, it just needs 13 digits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It was very clearly mentioned in the OP link which is part of the OP..

Call me pedantic but I expect an article summary to at least explain the headline without needing to follow a link to find out what they're supposed to be talking about.

The post as-is can very easily conclude that PayPal are doing away with personal accounts altogether ("In order to comply with the regulations, only those with a registered business account would be able to use PayPal to send and receive money")

Not only is this information apparently incorrect, it also gives no indication of why a business account opened by a foreigner can't be used.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

As far as i understand it should be possible opening in country where have "national id-number". But, paying tax to ghailand (as guess most falangs do) you get tax-id number. Anyone tried that ?

A TIN is not a Thai national ID number, only ID numbers are acceptable.