PayPal no longer available to foreigners in Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What a joke! Just got their email in my mailbox; I should use my funds till December as I couldn't have a PayPal Thailand account. After that I could just 'open a new account with PayPal Thailand'... ????

It depends if you're a Thai national or not. You have to be enrolled in the Thai NDID system and if you're not a Thai citizen, you can't enroll.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 7:26 PM, croftrobin said:

Payoneer who ebay moved users over to from Paypal in this country.

My wife uses it.

Foreigners can use it too.

I have installed the payoneer app on my phone, but I will have to confirm that I own a business, which I don't.  I just need a payment app who will accept me as a foreigner, in order to make payments with a proper buyer protection like PayPal had. 

1 hour ago, Steven mason said:

I received money in My Krungthai acct. 3 days ago from Paypal. 

It looks like 15 December is D-day. See if you can received money after that.

Consumer, freelancer or casual seller, entrepreneur or sole proprietor with an account opened before 7 March, 2021: We will be transferring these accounts to PayPal Thailand in December 2022. As part of this process, you will first need to take some actions for your account to be transferred, so you can continue using your account after 15 December, 2022. Please refer to the email we have sent you on or after 11 October, 2022 for guidance.
Until then, you can continue to use your account as usual, including shopping with your PayPal wallet, and to send and receive money with it.

paypal.com/th/webapps/mpp/thailand-relaunch-faq

• Like 1

I use Payoneer regularly to receive payments, which are automatically added to my Payoneer debit card (that I can use in ATM machines).  Or I can top up my Wise account using that card.  Once your Payoneer account is set up, everything seems to go smoothly, BUT their customer service definitely sucks..

Seems that PayPal (the original, not BKK office) will continue to function as payment wallet for a while - you will be able to send payments from your balance and debit your plastic to make payments. Without NID. Why? Typical: they didn't complete transfer as was planned in march'22 and october'22. 

So Dec.15 likely won't be able to receive payments to your account registered in Thailand. Foreigners for sure, but what will happen to Thai accounts with NID - ?

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, bkkphuket said:

Anyone has tried to receive and withdraw money from paypal since the 15? My account looks like is business as usual but I stopped all the incoming funds, may give it a test if no one can confirm this. Thanks 

I use my PayPal account as normal, my kids pay me monthly for their portion of the cellular phone bill in the US and I buy items on-line using my paypal account.  Of course I leave the money in my paypal account for my use in buying items.  Yet, I have not seen a change from what it was before. Of course thats my view.  I did receive a warning e-mail indicating that anything over 600 USD was reportable to the IRS but no changes to my account.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Use your phone... 

Not an option for the items I was trying to pay. One was virus protection on my laptop, another a TV streaming service. A UK card will work.

Edited by jacko45k

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

scr.png.e025a80e573f1af6513fc9f0d5eccd2f.png

Ebay got broken. Just a few days ago I was able to bid on items which have no shipping to Thailand (I'm using parcel forwarding services and thus have secondary addresses in USA and several European countries) but today Ebay refuses to accept a bid.

I don't use PayPal and never have. A credit or debit card is good enough for my internet payments. Funny thing about choice.....we now have 100 ways to pay over the internet....too much choice for me....I lose the will to live when I have to remember the passwords, so I pick one and use it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 9:00 AM, RayOday said:

Good. PayPal has onerous T&Cs and capricious restrictions. I am no fan of Peter Thiel. Although he is no longer directly with PayPal, Thiel had used his billions to back Trump and MAGA candidates. He sits on the board of Facebook and started Palantir which was instrumental in social network targeting which influenced Trump's election. I have boycotted PayPal on the merits of their terms and  screwed up management and board members that support MAGA policies and candidates. Thiel, in my view, backs right wing extremism with elitist beliefs with the conviction that he knows what's best for society. He implements through financial backing and social influencing. Google Thiel to fill in the blanks. Goodbye PayPal and good riddance. (I didn't say anything about Musk but I could).

Interesting story in today's Financial Times regarding Thiel's Founders Fund.  Last March the fund sold out of nearly all of its bitcoin stake - about 2/3 of the fund at the time.  Nothing was reported publicly about the sale.   Then in April, Thiel spoke at a Miami cybercurrency conference, saying "we’re at the end of the fiat money regime” and suggested the bitcoin price — which was then trading at about $44,000 — could increase by a factor of 100.  https://on.ft.com/3D0d1Db (gift link)  Why dump, & then pump up the little investors? Good riddance indeed.