VLC Media Problems.

NoshowJones

For the past month my sound has been stopping and sometimes saying my VLC has crashed. I have to keep on uninstalling it, and then downloading it again, then it is fine for a few days then happens again. Don't have the same problem with Windows Media Player. Anyone know why?

And you are using operating system ? ?

On my current version Windows 10 have not had any issues.

On second thought did have some files that it would not play a few weeks ago - but WMP would not play either.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Don't have any issues with VLC media player, been that way for years.

But then, I have a Linux OS, perhaps it's just another example of Windows strikes again.

I too have no issues with VLC, and regularly update my Windows 11. A very useful app.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

And you are using operating system ? ?

On my current version Windows 10 have not had any issues.

On second thought did have some files that it would not play a few weeks ago - but WMP would not play either.

Windows10. I always checked WMP and it was perfect, I like to see the numbers for the volume on the screen, that's 1-200 when I use Bluetooth. On some movies 70 is enough, on others it takes up to about 160. VLC has that facility WMP doesn't.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

But then, I have a Linux OS, perhaps it's just another example of Windows strikes again.

Yes, once or twice, but every few days is just two much.

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Most consistently reliable media player I have found to be; https://codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_standard.htm

The standard version here includes the actual media player plus all the codecs and settings most people are ever likely to need.

I will try and download this.

42 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

This link is mostly in Thai, I cannot find how to change it to English.

Which browser are you using??

Edit: I am starting to believe that your PC has other issues as well and one of the symptoms could be your problem with VLC, but what it is that is wrong? Did you ever check for Viruses/Malware on your PC??

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

For me Windows10 will do for now, apart from this VLC nonsense. but if this goes on I may try Windows11.

I don't think it is anything to do with windows.

A few weeks ago when I went to VLC I got a pop up saying I should install the latest version 3.0.14, I haven't done anything and still get the same popup.

The latest version is now 3.0.17.4 - I think that says it all.

In the meantime just using windows media player.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

A few weeks ago when I went to VLC I got a pop up saying I should install the latest version 3.0.14, I haven't done anything and still get the same popup.

Question, did you go the website? or was this in VLC itself?

VLC (the APP) has an updater and will tell you that there is a new version (if there is one), the Website doesn't know which version you are running and just will point you to the latest Stable version which is 3.0.17.4

48 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Are you talking about this?

https://codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_standard.htm

Weird for me it's in English.

Link to download is here: https://files3.codecguide.com/K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1725_Standard.exe

Yes that ones in English. I will try that download.

42 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Which browser are you using??

Edit: I am starting to believe that your PC has other issues as well and one of the symptoms could be your problem with VLC, but what it is that is wrong? Did you ever check for Viruses/Malware on your PC??

Opera. Yes I use ccleaner and 

Super Anti Virus regularly.

Edited by NoshowJones

39 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Question, did you go the website? or was this in VLC itself?

VLC (the APP) has an updater and will tell you that there is a new version (if there is one), the Website doesn't know which version you are running and just will point you to the latest Stable version which is 3.0.17.4

VLC,  screenshot just now. Popup says they have problms.

VLC.JPG

Edited by sandyf
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hansombeast said:

I use VLC but I haven't updated for around 18 months and I use up to date windows 10 with no problems.

Maybe the newest versions have bugs.  It does say to update isn't automatic like it used to be... I've left it alone. Works fine

Quite, but unless you keep the files for different versions it can sometimes be difficult to get back to an earlier version.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

i have windows and have been using VLC player for more years then i care to remember, and have never had any problem.

2 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

i have windows and have been using VLC player for more years then i care to remember, and have never had any problem.

Lucky you, winning the Windows lottery. The OP does not seem to be as fortunate.

Edited by Lacessit

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

VLC,  screenshot just now. Popup says they have problms.

VLC.JPG

BS. Which OS are your running?

goto either c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

or

c:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

and right click on it and check what version it is?

spacer.png

Edited by MJCM

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

This link is mostly in Thai, I cannot find how to change it to English.

Can you please post a screenshot of how that website looks like when you click it?

Very anxious to see what you see