VLC Media Problems.

NoshowJones

10 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Don't worry. Important thing is you must be doing things correctly because it works OK on your desktop. Sometimes you can have too much installed and get conflicts. To make life easy, I would uninstall the MPC-HC and VLC. Go to Control Panel/Programs. Then, restart your laptop, and install instead the very good media player called 'Pot Player'. Download from this page. It's totally free. https://potplayer.daum.net/

I was going to take the laptop to the local computer shop tomorrow, but I will try what you say. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

I was going to take the laptop to the local computer shop tomorrow, but I will try what you say. Thanks.

Don't do that. You are so close. If one media player ever gives problems it's easy and free to download another. Restarting your laptop in between uninstalling the existing ones and installing Pot Player is important.

• Thanks 2

If VLC is running best to let it run - it is a known viewer and highly respected.  The more you download and install the more issues you are likely to have.  And finding legit downloads can also be tricky.  This comes up with quick Google of Pot Player:

PotPlayer is a rogue application endorsed as a multimedia player compatible with Windows Vista, XP, 7 and 8 operating systems. It is classified as adware. Following successful infiltration, PotPlayer begins running intrusive advertisement campaigns, delivering various unwanted and even harmful ads.Jul 19, 2564 BE

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sandyf said:

Apologies I meant Windows Films & TV, I used to use media player until I got Win 10, now I have both from Windows.

I have however just had a look at media player and mine has a volume control, just to the right of  centre.

On Films & TV the volume control is bottom left corner.

Or use the + & - buttons, top right on your keyboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Restarting your laptop in between uninstalling the existing ones and installing Pot Player is important.

No need for me as I have both Pot Player and VCL installed plus the Windows one. 

Win????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

No need for me as I have both Pot Player and VCL installed plus the Windows one. 

Win????

You need to have a word with lopburi3 (above post but 2) before something dreadful happens! Seriously, we don't know what else noshowjones has installed upon his laptop. I have found things from time to time that don't work without rebooting following install/uninstall. 

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Don't do that. You are so close. If one media player ever gives problems it's easy and free to download another. Restarting your laptop in between uninstalling the existing ones and installing Pot Player is important.

On the next post, I think by lopburi 3, he says Pot layer is a rogue player. Both you and Jai Dee gave "likes", so why are you saying I should download it?

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

On the next post, I think by lopburi 3, he says Pot layer is a rogue player. Both you and Jai Dee gave "likes", so why are you saying I should download it?

Actually only reporting what is on a Google search.  Have no idea how good/bad/indifferent it may be. as have been using VLC for years.  But I would advise getting known and installed players working/updated rather than downloading new stuff that may or may not be of any use to you.  And when downloading make sure the source is reliable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too have been using VLC player for years with never an issue.

I also agree with the notion of using tried and true software rather than experimenting with new products... let someone else be the guinea pig!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jai Dee said:

I too have been using VLC player for years with never an issue.

I also agree with the notion of using tried and true software rather than experimenting with new products... let someone else be the guinea pig!

Pot Player was definitely around in 2011. https://lifehacker.com/the-best-video-player-for-windows-5822672

7 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Pot Player was definitely around in 2011. https://lifehacker.com/the-best-video-player-for-windows-5822672

Lifehacker?  But these are there own words (hopefully improved):

In addition, it’s pretty young, and still technically in beta, so it’s possible you could experience some bugs (though many have found it more than stable enough for daily use). Lastly, as a Korean program, you’ll find tiny bits of the program are still in Korean,

And:

Isn't this just MPlayer with a GUI on it?

And for inexperienced OP:

Even if you’re rather tech-savvy, it could take you awhile to find the setting you’re looking for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I have no axe to grind in this discussion... I am merely promoting a piece of capable software that I know and trust.

And, according to Wikipedia, VLC has been around as a free and open-source, portable, cross-platform media player since 1996.

Anyway... from the article you referenced:

"Again, there is no perfect video player out there that works for everyone. Like music players, everyone has their favorite video player and you guys are probably pretty loyal to yours. It’s mostly personal preference, so if you have a player you think is best, let us know why in the comments (without putting down other people’s choices)."

The OP had a problem with his VLC on a Win10 platform, and most of the replies in this thread have tried to help him, rather than  redirect him to either other operating systems or media players.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:29 AM, MJCM said:

My guess the OP his PC  is suffering from this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_hijacking

it would certainly seem that way. a screenshot of what happens when he clicks on the link to codecguide(.com) would be useful but for some reason he's resistant to doing that. 

imho he should do a clean install of Windows from a USB stick because goodness only knows what else is lurking in his device.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:22 AM, NoshowJones said:

I don't see the point of trying to learn things I am not going to use much, or not interested in, and screenshots come into that category.

screenshots help us to help you so it's worthwhile to learn the process.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 12:47 PM, lopburi3 said:

And you are using operating system ? ?

On my current version Windows 10 have not had any issues.

On second thought did have some files that it would not play a few weeks ago - but WMP would not play either.

they weren't "DV" files were they? DV stands for Dolby Vision and won't play without newer hardware or a potentially dodgy software hack that I'm not game too try.

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

they weren't "DV" files were they? DV stands for Dolby Vision and won't play without newer hardware or a potentially dodgy software hack that I'm not game too try.

I believe they were some type of MKV

On 11/11/2022 at 3:57 PM, sandyf said:

I don't think it is anything to do with windows.

A few weeks ago when I went to VLC I got a pop up saying I should install the latest version 3.0.14, I haven't done anything and still get the same popup.

The latest version is now 3.0.17.4 - I think that says it all.

In the meantime just using windows media player.

hmm ... I was on 3.0.16 and the updater kept telling me i was on the latest version. so I checked their archive and lo and behold there's an x64 version of 3.0.17.4 which I've just dl'd and installed. thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I believe they were some type of MKV

MKV is a "container" not a video codec so it could have had anything inside it. if you see "DV" in the fully name of anything you download then don't expect it to work with VLC. 

Edited by Lemsta69

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

MKV is a "container" not a video codec so it could have had anything inside it. if you see "DV" in the fully name of anything you download then don't expect it to work with VLC. 

Only looked at the files extension, as suspect most of us do, so likely that was the case.  Those that worked were also in MKV containers

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Only looked at the files extension, as suspect most of us do, so likely that was the case.  Those that worked were also in MKV containers

well you kind of have to go to university to understand what all the codes mean in the filenames of the content you get from the "scene*. not really worth bothering about unless you're a high-def freak like me. 

MY VLC plays all .jpg as small  3-4 second video clip. I have win 10 on (laptop new) and 7 ultra on old laptop.   I have put up with this but it's not easy to look at lots of pics.   Of course sometimes my phone gets in that picture mode where it takes dozens of pics in 1 photo.   I've had more important things to worry about but after reading this thread  I thought I could learn something without hijacking.  

On 11/11/2022 at 6:17 PM, NoshowJones said:

Sorry don't know how to do a screenshot.

Can be a problem with some keyboards.

If you do need to do it, type "snipping tool" in the windows search box and click on the "mode" dropdown, pick what you want and then save the screenshot.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2022 at 12:41 PM, The Fugitive said:

You need to have a word with lopburi3 (above post but 2) before something dreadful happens! Seriously, we don't know what else noshowjones has installed upon his laptop. I have found things from time to time that don't work without rebooting following install/uninstall. 

I have now managed to install MPC-HC. I am very pleased with it, I must have uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times then it finally worked.

Just another case of a computer being a computer.

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I have now managed to install MPC-HC. I am very pleased with it, I must have uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times then it finally worked.

Just another case of a computer being a computer.

Glad you are now sorted and thanks for letting us know!

• Thumbs Up 1