Fine for No Driving License

Joeski

42 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Up to you

No, I have a Thai license.

As someone who used to work in insurance I find it strange that people will say 'insurance will not pay' as a general statement. There are way too many variables for a statement like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 9:12 AM, DrPhibes said:

Well someone better set the embassies straight.  This right off the British Thai Embassy:

"If you would like to drive, either vehicle or motorcycle, while visiting Thailand, you are required by law to hold an international driving license. When asked for, you need to show your international driving license along with your passport and national driving license."

Good to know, just need the above statement in Thai and be on the embassy website in the area where you get your Visa and such. 

Thanks!

This is exactly how it is for Germans traveling in TH with a motor vehicle. 

November 2021:

"The popular travel destination in Southeast Asia has new rules for driving motor vehicles as of May 1, 2021: What is needed then is either the International Driving License according to the model of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic of November 8, 1968. It is only valid in conjunction with the national German driving license. Or you will need a Thai driver's license."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, phuketcouple said:

This is exactly how it is for Germans traveling in TH with a motor vehicle. 

November 2021:

"The popular travel destination in Southeast Asia has new rules for driving motor vehicles as of May 1, 2021: What is needed then is either the International Driving License according to the model of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic of November 8, 1968. It is only valid in conjunction with the national German driving license. Or you will need a Thai driver's license."

It’s notable that his original post has disappeared as it was no doubt discovered that his quote did not originate from any “British Thai Embassy”. 

Well someone better set the embassies straight.  This right off the British Thai Embassy:

"If you would like to drive, either vehicle or motorcycle, while visiting Thailand, you are required by law to hold an international driving license. When asked for, you need to show your international driving license along with your passport and national driving license."

Good to know, just need the above statement in Thai and be on the embassy website in the area where you get your Visa and such. 

Thanks!

That's the problem British ????

I remember 15 years ago a British Tourist police working with the police pulling motorbikes into the station parking lot off Sukhumvit in Pattaya told me after showing him my permit that it only allow me to drive up and down Sukhumvit can't use it left or right! ????

Thanks!

In the UK it is an International Driving Permit. Also in English, Licence is the correct spelling.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Speaking Thai does not solve that problem.

My friend speaks, reads and writes pretty fluent Thai.

He was stopped two days in a row by the same policeman for riding his bike with no helmet.

The first day his excuse was that he was just going to the shop to buy one. Fail!

The second day,  the cop said 'you were going to buy a helmet'.

My friend replied 'I was but you took my money'. Cop laughed and fined him again. This was all in Thai.

I also speak fluent Thai but the trouble is the Thai people do not understand me ????

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:49 AM, mikeymike100 said:
On 11/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, nigelforbes said:

I can't answer your question but I can offer some related advise which is not to pay fines just because you are stopped, instead demand a ticket which is then paid at the police station or elsewhere. You have that right which avoids the temptation to trouser the bills you just handed over. .

Expand  

Whilst I agree with you, instead of demanding a ticket, it might be wiser to politely ask for one?

...or just tell the officer that you have no cash then he'll have to issue a ticket.

• Thanks 1