Fine for No Driving License

Joeski

You can use your IDP (International Drivers Permit) in Thailand however after 90 days in Thailand they will want a proper driver licence. You will need to have a non-immigrant visa to obtain a drivers licence. The application process starts at your local traffic department in Thailand.

https://gam-legalalliance.com/services/immigration/thai-driving-license/#:~:text=You can use your IDP,local traffic department in Thailand.

Just wondering how lenient the cops will be >
I went in Monday to make an appt for my NEW motorcycle test
1st available date was Feb 16thg 2023>
so took a photo of the stamp and if stopped will ask <
"come on guys, give me a break"

30 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

I guess, as lenient as they feel like it at the time, if stopped. 

IF you have your home country licence which is enforced for motorcycles you should be ok, especially if its also accompanied with an IDP...

So... they’ll either be OK with it, or, if they are money hungry, they’ll hit you up for fine which they’ll want on the spot (i.e. a bribe).

IF so, ask for the ticket (to pay the fine at the station)... There’s not much they can do these days as they are not supposed to take your licence of you in lieu of paying a fine, and they can’t anyway as you don’t have one !!!...  

If stopped, just be polite and roll with it, there’s not much else you can do. 

3 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Yes, I applied last year and got appointment 3 months later. I photo receipt and carry it. But I was never stopped,. I drive car. Not much help .....

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes, I applied last year and got appointment 3 months later. I photo receipt and carry it. But I was never stopped,. I drive car. Not much help .....

got and have had a thai drivers license since 1994:-)
not much use if stopped on a  bike thou

On 11/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, nigelforbes said:

I can't answer your question but I can offer some related advise which is not to pay fines just because you are stopped, instead demand a ticket which is then paid at the police station or elsewhere. You have that right which avoids the temptation to trouser the bills you just handed over. .

you demand a ticket
they direct you to the officer sat at a table a few meters away
you demand to know where the police station is
they point at the small building behind them just a few meters away
you go inside to pay and when you look at your ticket
They have written 1000 baht on it

What is your next move ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, patman30 said:

you demand a ticket
they point at the small building behind them just a few meters away
you go inside to pay and when you look at your ticket
They have written 1000 baht on it

What is your next move ?

You go home, as long as the amount of the fine is correct.

The object of the exercise is to ensure that the police system is paid rather than the individual.

I've only ever been find by a police check once in 20+ years and that was because my wife wasn't wearing a seat belt (I hadn't noticed and we were quite close to home). The cop wanted however much but we demanded a ticket which he reluctantly issued. Ten minutes later we were in the police station where the amount of the fine was promptly discounted by a friendly cop who realized I wasn't a farang tourist and the female is my wife.

21 minutes ago, patman30 said:

Why do you demand to know where the police station is? The officer sitting at the table is where you pay your fine. He will give you a receipt. No money to pay? He will hold your keys till you come back and pay the fine. I'm sure you won't be long.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Why do you demand to know where the police station is? The officer sitting at the table is where you pay your fine. He will give you a receipt. No money to pay? He will hold your keys till you come back and pay the fine. I'm sure you won't be long.

i was being sarcastic
as many times
the guy taking money on the side of the road is just a few meters away from the officer writing the tickets who is just a few meters from the station
just pay the money and be on your way, i value my time more

"no money to pay" you are projecting????

40 minutes ago, patman30 said:

the guy taking money on the side of the road is just a few meters away from the officer writing the tickets who is just a few meters from the station

Not necessarily. Out in the sticks the police carry out road stops anywhere without their station being nearby. 

Just a bit of info for the uneducated. People always seem to excuse the police because they are badly paid. That really isn't the case. Under article 44 the Department of Land Transport it tells you that they get 5% of any fine and the police get 95% of any fine issued. The more tickets that are issued the higher their wages are. So why aren't they out there working their asses off?

Edited by IvorBiggun2

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Not necessarily. Out in the sticks the police carry out road stops anywhere without their station being nearby. 

Just a bit of info for the uneducated. People always seem to excuse the police because they are badly paid. That really isn't the case. Under article 44 the Department of Land Transport it tells you that they get 5% of any fine and the police get 95% of any fine issued. The more tickets that are issued the higher their wages are. So why aren't they out there working their asses off?

did i say "each and every time" or "all"

"many times"
and i was referring to the sticks
where many times the road block is just setup outside the small station
some are so small you do not even realise they are there

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And after Jan 9th, ONE point off your licence.

Which license, the one he just got fined for non possession?

Just see Richard said the same, worded much better.

Edited by stevenl
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:43 AM, Sparktrader said:

If living in Thailand you need a Thai license. If tourist you dont need IDP unless home license isnt in English.

If farangs learnt how to speak Thai and not be so gullible they wouldnt get scammed.

Is learning Thai a cheaper option than paying the 1,000 baht?

Asking for a friend...????

Hi friends.

It sounds like he didn't have any type of licence to show Mr plod. 

Never heard of anybody getting a fine for not showing an IDP. Generally Mr plod will have no idea what an IDP is.

As advised ask for the ticket with YOUR registration number on it, as they use the same ticket, threateningly many times over.

Stood at a junction in patunam and watched them do it.

Happy days

The same happened to met several years ago, i was  told to pay the fine at the police station, i got a receipt,  and i asked  what happens if the same thing happenes again  until i get my Thai licence, i was told to show the next  officer my receipt....

On 11/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, KannikaP said:

So even the British Thai Embassy doesn't know that it is an International Driving PERMIT, not license.

Seems that the Thai Embassy in London doesn't know either.

"If you would like to drive, either vehicle or motorcycle, while visiting Thailand, you are required by law to hold an international driving license. When asked for, you need to show your international driving license along with your passport and national driving license.

For those who temporarily stay in Thailand, you can apply for a temporary (one year) driving license at the Department of Land Transport or a Provincial Land Transport Office."

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84710-driving-in-thailand?page=5d6636ce15e39c3bd000734d&menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072e2

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:12 AM, Joeski said:

I forgot my international driving license and got pulled up the roadside and got fined 1000 baht. I plan on getting a Thai License, until I get the Thai License is there anything I can do to avoid the 1000 baht fine.

Pay-up and be grateful.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:30 AM, bob smith said:

1000 baht??? it was 200 baht last time i got pulled, where the hell are you lol.

pants well and truly pulled down there mate!

I was also fined 1,000 baht for not having an International Driving Permit/Licence when stopped at a checkpoint south of Chiang Rai but this was many years ago. It triggered me to get a Thai Driving Licence through contacts in the British Consulate in Chiang Mai (in those days). I eventually became a Tourist Police Volunteer based in Chiang Rai and a TP sticker on the windscreen worked wonders.