Fine for No Driving License

Joeski

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is nothing wrong at all with politely and confidently arguing your case either on the spot or at the station. 

But.... they carry guns!

Okay, they're not going to shoot you at a checkpoint but they do have the upper hand and I'd rather play it their way.

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

but they do have the upper hand and I'd rather play it their way.

No they don't have the upper hand. So you'd bow down to a police officer each and every time they asked you for money? Sad, very sad indeed.

You do know that if paying a bribe to a police officer you are legally committing a serious offence in Thailand. Why take the risk? Play by the book. 

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No they don't have the upper hand. So you'd bow down to a police officer each and every time they asked you for money? Sad, very sad indeed.

You do know that if paying a bribe to a police officer you are legally committing a serious offence in Thailand. Why take the risk? Play by the book. 

Of course they have the upper hand! They are the Thai police and they carry guns and I'm just a barely-tolerated tourist.

I always carry an IDP (which was virtually destroyed in last night's flood) and it has been checked several times at various checkpoints over the years with no issues. I was nudged gently for a non-specific contribution once but I played deaf (easy as i am mildly disabled) and he didn't pursue it. Apart from that my only run-in was a parking ticket that I paid off at Patong police station.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

i.e. IDP is not needed for British, Australians etc... and thus there would be no impact whatsoever to their ‘travel insurance’ as they can legal drive in Thailand on their home country licence. 

Are you on the same planet as everyone else? You've proven to be wrong numerous times on this thread but you continue to repeat yourself.

No, you believe you have proven me wrong because you have followed incorrect or incomplete sources.

Section 42-2 of the Motor vehicle act highlights there is a recognition of domestic driving licences. 

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

image.png.89b465d8db8b5c2ebee92f798f5dc611.png

7 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You will need to apply for a Thai driving licence or, if you already hold a UK licence, an International Driving Permit. If you drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand without a valid licence, this may invalidate your travel insurance if you have an accident or injury.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/safety-and-security#:~:text=Road travel&text=You will need to apply,have an accident or injury.

The British Foreign office (UK.Gov) offers ’travel advice’ and airs on the side of caution. 

But it is not stating the law.... there are many examples of the FCO and Embassy pages being incorrect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, London Lowf said:
9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is nothing wrong at all with politely and confidently arguing your case either on the spot or at the station. 

But.... they carry guns!

Okay, they're not going to shoot you at a checkpoint but they do have the upper hand and I'd rather play it their way.

You'd rather play it there way and just hand over whatever fine they ask for ??? - thats a bit sad. 

If you are in the wrong - take a ticket. 

If you are not in the wrong, explain why (if you can) - which is why it helps to speak Thai.

I just don’t understand this fear of Thai police when getting pulled over etc... they’re just doing their job, or rather, they are just doing their jobs which they believe entitles them to collect and pocket fines....   They know the game...  we know the game -

It helps if you know exactly what the law is. It helps even more if you can show them a document which proves you are right and they wrong (if they are wrong). 

I recall a friend telling me they’d been fined because their number plate was too small !!!... 

The BiB got a piece of A4 paper out - I was pishing myself at the gullible fool... I’d have just laughed and driven off !... 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I recall a friend telling me they’d been fined because their number plate was too small !!!... 

The BiB got a piece of A4 paper out - I was pishing myself at the gullible fool... I’d have just laughed and driven off !... 

So, how many times have you actually done that?

On 11/16/2022 at 12:04 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Nigel is quite correct - When stopped at the road side... there is no reason whatsoever to pay the fine at the road-side...  (i.e. folding to bribes). 

Asking for a ticket and paying at the Police station is the correct course of action. 

The reality of this is that the BiB may be lazy to write the ticket for a charge which is spurious (IF its a spurious charge).

Additionally, IF the BiB wants to write you up for having no licence because you don’t have an IDP, you can argue your case at the Police station (if you wish) and if you have a British Licence (for example) you don’t need an IDP......   

I don't disagree - demanding anything from the BiB is not advised. Especially when you don't have a Licence to present either roadside or at the station. It isn't conducive to good relations or a good outcome.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
18 hours ago, London Lowf said:

So, how many times have you actually done that?

Twice.

I now remember that, a few years ago, I rode straight through a checkpoint and the cop was a bit half-hearted and vague and it wasn't until a few yards later that it dawned on me that he wanted me to stop. I just carried on and nothing happened, but I wouldn't want to push my luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2022 at 12:04 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Nigel is quite correct - When stopped at the road side... there is no reason whatsoever to pay the fine at the road-side...  (i.e. folding to bribes). 

Asking for a ticket and paying at the Police station is the correct course of action. 

The reality of this is that the BiB may be lazy to write the ticket for a charge which is spurious (IF its a spurious charge).

Additionally, IF the BiB wants to write you up for having no licence because you don’t have an IDP, you can argue your case at the Police station (if you wish) and if you have a British Licence (for example) you don’t need an IDP......   

In general on Phuket, where this thread is about, you will be issued a ticket at the road side. Feel free not to pay on the spot, your keys will be taken.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2022 at 4:46 AM, stevenl said:

In general on Phuket, where this thread is about, you will be issued a ticket at the road side. Feel free not to pay on the spot, your keys will be taken.

I wonder how the DLT App would be accepted in Phuket...   Or in Bangkok for that matter, realistically, I'm stopped so infrequently I’ve not had a chance to test the reaction of the BiB to the App.

I’d assume the BiB are not up to date with it.

Theoretically - we no longer need to show our physical *Thai Licence at all when asked, we can just show our Thai Driving / Motorcycle licence on the DLT App.

[ Obviously - this is only in reference to Thai Licence - not an overseas licence with or without an IDP ].

You make a good point about the BiB attempting to take keys... 

Fortunately its not happened to me... when pulled over I take out my key’s and pocket them. 

I’m not sure of the law regarding ‘official check points’ which have a ‘pay station’... 

If the BiB are not letting you go unless you ‘pay on the spot’ it could lead to an awkward stand-off... 

I think the BiB in Phuket and Pattaya have a lot more hubris than those in Bangkok who seem less intent of fleecing drivers / riders....

Edited by richard_smith237

On 11/12/2022 at 7:36 AM, brianthainess said:

Going by the OP it sounds like he got a ticket, hence the OP's question 'should I pay the 1000 b fine' unless he is still with the cops awaiting our fantastic advice :cheesy: :cheesy:

Easy answer, pay the fine and dont drive until you get a legal license.

Only relatively recent ticket I got was making improper turn (didn’t see the sign). Ticket issued, officer said 400 baht and could pay at the close by Police Staion. Got there and the young officer said 500 baht … an older officer stepped up and said 400 baht. 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, nigelforbes said:

I can't answer your question but I can offer some related advise which is not to pay fines just because you are stopped, instead demand a ticket which is then paid at the police station or elsewhere. You have that right which avoids the temptation to trouser the bills you just handed over. .

The guy was driving illegally, so no valid insurance either.  He's lucky to get  just a 1,000 fine.  My comment to anyone in the same boat:  stop moaning, pay the fine and get yourself a damn license.  To anyone out there driving a car ,or riding a motorbike without the right documentation.  I dont want to hit one of you people and not be compensated for damage to me or my car, ( I don't much care what happens to your little pink body) just because you couldn't be arsed to get yourself legal  

Hi Chaps . . I've been driving in Thailand for mega years.

M/c 400bt in chang mia --mrs had no helmet, just had her hair done- traffic cop pocket job.

M/c 400bt Pattaya Mrs same thing - police station.

Many other road blocks in Hua Hin at the end of a month in a car, not once did they question my UK licence. When on the old paper licence, they couldn't read English so had to let me off. Not once did they ask for IDP.

Is it not the case that there is a time limit on home licence before you have to get a Thai licence?

On 11/12/2022 at 1:12 PM, blackshadow said:

short list of fines in thailand

Traffic Violations
Fine
Fine
Driving without a license
200฿
200฿
Illegally stopping in restrict ...
300฿
300฿
Using an unroadworthy vehicle
400฿
400฿
Reckless driving
400฿

Well that 400 baht fine will certainly discourage reckless driving . TIT. I suppose if you kill someone while reckless driving the fine will increase to 450 baht?

• Like 1

Lots of posts since my original post. Had a nightmare last night. Only went out for 2 beers in the afternoon and took my bike. You know how it is, 2 beers can turn in 15-20 bottle of beers and quite a few whiskeys in the Land of Smiles and got pulled up by the police on the way home. At least I had my crash helmet on. Got fined 12,000 baht for no driving license and being drunk. They wanted 20,000 but managed to get the fine down to 12,000. Thought it was better to pay the fine than end up down the station. Wont be doing that again in a hurry.

Edited by Joeski
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Joeski said:

Got fined 12,000 baht for no driving license and being drunk.

How'd they know you were drunk? I think one would be hard pushed to bump into a road stop and the police had a breathalyzer on them. May be at the station they'd have one.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 3:22 PM, Sparktrader said:

If you live in Thailand you need a Thai license. That's the rule. Tourists do not.

But only people with permanent residency status or Thai citizenship are considered as living in Thailand.

Non-Immigrant visa holders fall in the same category as tourists, they aren’t considered as living in Thailand.

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

But only people with permanent residency status or Thai citizenship are considered as living in Thailand.

Non-Immigrant visa holders fall in the same category as tourists, they aren’t considered as living in Thailand.

For purposes of needing a Thai driving license the important date is 90 days.  After being in Thailand for 90 days you can no longer legally drive on a foreign driver's license and an International Driver's Permit.  

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

How'd they know you were drunk? I think one would be hard pushed to bump into a road stop and the police had a breathalyzer on them. May be at the station they'd have one.

At the almost daily stop at Kata view point they have one.

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

What leads you to that opinion?

40 minutes ago, skatewash said:

For purposes of needing a Thai driving license the important date is 90 days.  After being in Thailand for 90 days you can no longer legally drive on a foreign driver's license and an International Driver's Permit.  

I agree with what you say and I find it most unfair that a Thai can use a Thai license to drive  in the UK for 12 months. Thereafter he must get a UK one. What chance do you give him of passing the test?

Edited by IvorBiggun2

52 minutes ago, skatewash said:

There is no such rule/law.

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

What leads you to that opinion?

It’s not my opinion, it’s a fact, because it’s written in section 42 of the law:

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%C301/%C301-20-9999-update.pdf

On 11/12/2022 at 8:46 AM, DrPhibes said:

The embassy's caution that your need a valid license from your home country and an International Driving Permit (or License depending on which country is your home).  Driving on just your home country license even as a short time tourist is not allowed.

Well when did they change the law, when I came to Thailand you could drive or ride(yes you do need a license that shows both) for 90 days then you get fined, I know I was lazy or dumb or both and got hit just after 90 days ended, but I got a ticket and paid it and was told I could ride using the ticket for 2 days and to get a license in that time or dont ride.

PS would the person saying learn thai please stop.