I had a Samsung Microwave with the grill and hot air-blast, would recommend one of them, defrosts cooks and crisps up the food, Wasn't built in but had the fold down door. I had been considering it for a few months, it was then on sale, deal for just over 10k baht display model, only missing it original box, discounted from about 15k baht. in home pro. (2019). Then a few months later I was back in the UK. (don't have one here, yet ????, as the old one is extremely reliable ????).

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Do you recall calling me out on a comment recently about keeping my coffee hot for an hour?

Pop the cup in the microwave for 20 seconds and there you are.

I cook up big pots of things, dish them out into 1 portion servings, then freeze them.  On lazy days (there's about 7 in a week) it's just a matter of popping it into the MW.  Frozen (steamed) rice fluffs up very nicely in 2 minutes. 

Once it is in the house you and yours will come up new ideas for it.  Don't do built-in, and don't use it to dry your cat. ????

Thanks.

The way you use this thing for you is obviously fine.

But I would never ever warm up coffee. Just the idea sounds terrible to me.

I don't do the big pot and warm up thing. I or my gf do it fresh, or we go out and eat.

We have different lifestyles. It seems a microwave is perfect for you.

12 hours ago, cdemundo said:

No point that I can see to a built in microwave.

If you decide you want one at some point get a counter top model.

Is this a real question? If you haven't used one in your life and have lived a fine life then why change things? If you haven't worn underwear in your life then why start now? If you haven't had a beer in your life then...... well you should have one. I'm partial on this subject? ???? 

Hey, Man! 

How much do you know about microwave background radiation from the BIG Bang? 

Or, in this life, have you ever experienced a big bang like this.... 

image.thumb.jpeg.ec88867b67aa8e9d4db84b70c83605cd.jpeg

As you have explained, recently, you are a genius.

And so, have you ever considered finding some way of concentrating the background microwave radiation of the universe for the purpose of cooking a chicken in your new kitchen?

Not so difficult for a genius, maybe...

Edited by GammaGlobulin

8 hours ago, rankric said:

If you do get one. Have a look first hand at them in a shop. Test the door for sound. I like microwaves but some make a loud awful sound when you shut them. Not good for the midnight munchies when all asleep.

Don't keep the microwave in the bedroom. :giggle:

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, dddave said:

My first day, my first trip to Thailand, 2002 was also the first day of Songkran of which I knew nothing.  Staying at the Grand President on Suk. 11.

Went out for a walk.  Came back an hour later, so thoroughly soaked that the porter followed me to my room, mopping the floor behind me. 

Every piece of clothing was saturated, including my prized New Balance walking shoes, the only shoes I had brought.

The room had a microwave. A flash of inspiration that later proved somewhat less than brilliant led me to put my soaking shoes in the 'wave, put it on "High" and let it rip.

How was I to know there was a hidden air bladder in the sole.  

The resulting explosion of one shoe was powerful enough to blast the 'wave door open and send the shoe on a two cushion carom.  The other shoe had a 6" balloon like blister ready to let go.

Walking Sukhumvit barefoot the next day trying to find footwear whilst being drenched yet again made me appreciate more my newly acquired knowledge of thermo-dynamics. 

A classic illustration of the First Law of Thermodynamics. Thanks for the laugh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Couldn't live without one!!!

Mainly because I always buy extra food from FoodPanda, Grab etc. or even at roadside places, and freeze them in small portions.

Then, straight on to a plate and in the micro, and voila, hot "fresh" food in a couple minutes or less!

NO washing pots, pans, etc., only the plate you eat from.

Love them thingamajiggies!

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 5:27 PM, dddave said:

If you haven't felt the need for one for this long a time, once the novelty wears off, you'll probably find yourselves using it mostly for warming leftovers.  You can soften frozen meat and poultry but do it a bit to long and it can steam the meat and give it an off taste,  If you have the space and budget, why not?   If you don't get one, you probably won't miss it.  Get the lowest price known brand. No need for any bells and whistles, people rarely use them.

If you do get one, put some thought into placement.  Many are installed too high in cabinets or set atop refrigerators creating a hazard for somebody reaching up to take out a hot dish or bowl.   A friends son got badly scalded on his upper body that way when a bowl of heated soup was hotter than expected.

I second these comments. If you made it this long without it , you will get by. My wife never used one when we met 15 years ago. I already had one and she experimented using it over the years but now she just uses it for heat leftovers and make hot water quick. Don't take up the space if you can live without it.

When my Father-in-law came to visit us in America, he had never used a microwave in his life. He saw my wife using it to heat up food and thought it was a wonderful appliance.

One day, my wife found him feeding my son a bowl of melted ice cream. She asked why it was melted and he said he used the microwave because "it makes food taste better." My son was very upset.

Then a year or so later, my wife bought a microwave for her and her family to use while we visited them. The next time we visited she saw that the microwave didn't work. Her sister said that her father put something metal in it and that was that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2022 at 4:19 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

No.

We have a good rice cooker which keeps rice in good quality even after 24 hours.

When my gf makes some Thai dishes, she just reheats them on the hobs (currently electric). Maybe 5min, done.

I don't intend to ever reheat pizza or 7/11 food or anything like that.

Looks like you can (and have) gotten by just fine without one.  That said, I use my built in over-the range (OTR) microwave pretty much every day, mostly to heat leftovers or rice (from the refrigerator - - lasts several days in there), or occasionally some prepackaged food designed for microwaves like instant noodles.  For re-heating Thai dishes a microwave will take maybe 90 seconds vs. your 5 minutes, plus you can heat in the bowl or plate you eat from, so that saves you from using a pot or pan that will have to be washed. 

So of course you don't need one, but I'd bet that if you get one you'll find that you use it quite often, because for some things it's just so much faster and more efficient/convenient than anything else.

And as an added bonus they almost always come with a digital clock and countdown timer.  ????  

3 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

And as an added bonus they almost always come with a digital clock and countdown timer.  ????  

Thanks. That is actually an interesting thought.

Because now we have it often enough that my girlfriend in the kitchen tells me: Remind me in 5min to do xyz.

I think my new oven or even the hood has a clock and timer. But I better doublecheck about that.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because now we have it often enough that my girlfriend in the kitchen tells me: Remind me in 5min to do xyz.

I think my new oven or even the hood has a clock and timer. But I better doublecheck about that.

Using a phone is probably an easier way to set a timer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

GF sounds high maintenance.????????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And every time the power goes off, you have to reset the clock.  There's a reason all microwave clocks in Thailand show 00:00 :coffee1:

• Like 1