Thailand and Indonesia could soon become home for some lucky Aussies

webfact

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

Confirmed. I'm currently in Oz, and getting used to the term.

No it's not just coffee and milk. The milk needs to be frothed and poured a particular way. It's not a cappuccino without chocolate dusting, nor is it a latte. 

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

No it's not just coffee and milk. The milk needs to be frothed and poured a particular way. It's not a cappuccino without chocolate dusting, nor is it a latte. 

I drank long whites at roadhouses in Oz. Not sure they actually froth or pour it in a particular way. Maybe they do.

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

Unless frothing and pouring performs some miracle of transmutation, milk is still milk, its composition is unchanged.

I think what you mean is a BS ritual invented by Australian baristas to make the customer think they are getting something special.

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Pork and chicken dishes 50 to 100 baht with rice or noodles. Even Phuket has 50 baht dishes. Only seafood is over 100 baht or western or posh places.

Is expresso a flat white? Thats common here. I get lattes or cappucino.

C'mon man I've been here long enough to know what you can get for 100 baht, I was just having a laugh. 

As for the coffee, an espresso is simply a single shot of black coffee from the Italian machine. Well it's actually not that simple to get it perfect but that's another story. All I'll say is if it comes in a takeaway cup and/or doesn't have a nice 'crema' then I'm not interested ????

A flat white is, well that's hard to explain so I'll let Wikipedia do the heavy lifting...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Unless frothing and pouring performs some miracle of transmutation, milk is still milk, its composition is unchanged.

I think what you mean is a BS ritual invented by Australian baristas to make the customer think they are getting something special.

All of Italy will disagree with you on the milk is milk statement. Coffee is almost a religion over there. 

Also ask my Mum, and will tell you that anything but a flat white is undrinkable.

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I drank long whites at roadhouses in Oz. Not sure they actually froth or pour it in a particular way. Maybe they do.

Roadhouses wouldn't know what good coffee was if it came up and slapped them in the face! ????

ps. I doubt that most coffee joints in Australia really know their stuff. You need to go to the right places to get the good stuff and that's usually CBD or where all the wo...I mean New Australians hang out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Some cafes lattes are bigger than cappucinos, some the opposite.

Whats the deal with that? Should you ask first?

dunno, I drink espresso. or a double ristretto piccolo latte but fat chance of getting that over here.

52 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

All of Italy will disagree with you on the milk is milk statement. Coffee is almost a religion over there. 

Also ask my Mum, and will tell you that anything but a flat white is undrinkable.

All of Italy is obsessed with fashion statements, I'm not. Gucci, Versace, Prada, Zegna, Ferrari - need I go on?

Black coffee + milk = flat white as far as I am concerned. Frothing and pouring does nothing to change the taste, ask any flavor chemist. It's just visual flim-flam.

• Like 1

When I moved here, I profited by more than $A305,000 by selling my 32yo, 3x1 attached unit, on 199sqm of land in Australia, and buying a 9yo 3x2 pool villa on 450sqm with mountain views, in Phuket.  Not just an upgrade to my living standards but a very handy addition to my retirement funds!

I did luck out by selling in Australia at the top of the market, and by an exchange rate of about 32.3 baht when I transferred a large sum across. My 800,000, still in the bank, was imported at that rate also, 

I still consider the cost of everything here, averaged out, to be about 1/3 of that in Australia. The flat whites (white coffee) are just a tiny example of the differences in COL. 

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

All of Italy is obsessed with fashion statements, I'm not. Gucci, Versace, Prada, Zegna, Ferrari - need I go on?

Black coffee + milk = flat white as far as I am concerned. Frothing and pouring does nothing to change the taste, ask any flavor chemist. It's just visual flim-flam.

My Mother called a flat white, "coffee milk" and would add a spoon of sugar to it.  My dad drank it straight black and when asked why he always said "I like my coffee like my women, dark and mysterious".....

23 hours ago, PB172111 said:

45 baht for coffee is quite common in the Pattaya/Jomtien area

If it’s “quite common” can you provide a name of just one 45b dine-in coffee shop in the heart of Pattaya near Soi Chaiyapoon??

Didn’t think so. 

Screenshot_20221116_085304.jpg.4f3d34292ab2c49964bb2b1db8a6de44.jpg

15 minutes ago, Nemises said:

If it’s “quite common” can you provide a name of just one 45b dine-in coffee shop in the heart of Pattaya near Soi Chaiyapoon??

Didn’t think so. 

How about 7-11.....gourmet coffee with seats outside to dine in at...cheap hot food also. Awesome self serve seating as well.

Screenshot_20221116-085735_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221116_085858.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2022 at 11:16 PM, Lemsta69 said:

Roadhouses wouldn't know what good coffee was if it came up and slapped them in the face! ????

ps. I doubt that most coffee joints in Australia really know their stuff. You need to go to the right places to get the good stuff and that's usually CBD or where all the wo...I mean New Australians hang out. 

By the way, why is it called 'long black' (for black coffee)? What is 'long' about it?

Edited by StayinThailand2much