UK strikes revised deal with France on Channel migrants

Scott

On 11/15/2022 at 7:49 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s a step in the right direction for the UK PM to realize the UK will not solve this problem without international cooperation.

But it’s still only addressing the symptoms not the causes.

Which is why Sunak’s is so reticent when asked if this scheme will effectively reduce migration across the channel.

Yes. And for everyone that gets across to the UK then a lump sum reduction of the 'fee' should be taken!!

They would end up owing us money then!!!????????????????????????????????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Not sure how this works. Surely, it's not illegal to leave France? So they see some dusky guys with a small boat and shout that they must not leave France and the guys reply, not to worry, we are just popping across the channel? What French law are they breaking?

Seems they could turn off the tap by making life in Syria better. If there was no reason to leave, that would ease the problem. The UK and USA, among many others, have been helping to provide military support but won't do much to develop the country. 

" Surely, it's not illegal to leave France?"

Just off the top of my head

1)as the boats are taking paying customers - captain does not hold valid commercial skippers license.

2)vessel does not comply with EU and UK safety regulations in terms of boat being overloaded, ill equipped with nav equipment, vessel not licensed for commercial passenger operations.

3)considering the above - it is likely the boats are not insured at all.

So clearly very illegal. I also do not think most passengers are from Syria. They are often from North African countries and Pakistan/Bangladesh. The % of Syrians is not high.

1 minute ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

1)as the boats are taking paying customers - captain does not hold valid commercial skippers license.

2)vessel does not comply with EU and UK safety regulations in terms of boat being overloaded, ill equipped with nav equipment, vessel not licensed for commercial passenger operations.

So clearly very illegal. I also do not think most passengers are from Syria. They are often from North African countries and Pakistan/Bangladesh. The % of Syrians is not high.

So the boat is illegal.

How does that make leaving France illegal?

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-53734793

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2022 at 7:41 AM, herfiehandbag said:

We have been down this road before, several times. We pay the French to do what they should be doing anyway, they take the money, shrug their shoulders and do nothing.

nothing will change the French don't care ..lazy.. arrogant police ..I know ...just take the cash and laugh  

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

It's not illegal to leave and It's not illegal to make a boat trip with friends along the coast (half joking)

The most obvious reason to stop them is safety, if the boat is overloaded etc....

The core issue is that there are thousands of attempts, so It's impossible to stop them all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Are they even IN France legally ? 

Something the French never seem to address. 

There must be 100s of illegal immigrants squatting near the Channel coast, who seem to be invisible to  French immigration  officials. 

Many French people must be rather surprised that people actually pay good money to escape their wonderful country.

" C'est incroyable "