Power bank

Sparktrader

At the top end quality wise a 20,000 Anker seems to be going for 2,400 on Central's online site, I use Anker and Aukey for powerbank, chargers and cables. Work down from there price wise if you're not fussed about top brands. You might want to consider Fortune Town at Phra Ram 9 MRT, which has good choice of tech stuff under one roof.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

100Wh this is equivalent to a 20,000mAh

Only at 5V. Many power banks internally have cells with 3.7V so 100Wh would be roughly 27,000mAh.

The Thai guidelines linked to above are as usual clear as mud. They quote the 20,000mAh number but there is an asterisk on the buttom saying "* For 5v power supply" but there is no asterisk anywhere in the content above it so probably it's ment to apply to all of it. It makes much more sense to put a limit on the Wh instead of mAh and that's what most developed countries are using now. For example the TSA specifies 100Wh for a single battery or up to 160Wh and max 2 pieces with approval from the airline. AOT probably wanted to use the same rules but the info flyer doesn't say anything about needing approval for the bigger ones. AirAsia on their website also mentions only the 100/160 Wh limit and no mAh.

So in Thailand you should be good with any number of power banks of up to 100Wh (27,000mAh at 3.7V or 20,000mAh at 5V) and up to two power banks of up to 160Wh (43,000mAh at 3.7V or 32,000mAh at 5V).

As for recommended power bank one year ago I got one from Veger that are available in many places like BananaIT, Studio 7, PowerBuy etc.

The great thing about it is that it has the wall socket connector and two cables (USB-C and Thunderbolt) built in. Plus you get a USB-A and USB-C port. That makes it extremely versatile and you don't need to carry a regular charger anymore.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/veger-power-bank-15000-mah-with-built-in-cable-and-adapter-20w-p15-by-banana-it-i2873575197-s10489316668.html

53 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

What does IIRC mean? 

https://googlethatforyou.com?q=what does iirc mean

Edited by eisfeld
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:
2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

100Wh this is equivalent to a 20,000mAh

Only at 5V. Many power banks internally have cells with 3.7V so 100Wh would be roughly 27,000mAh.

The Thai guidelines linked to above are as usual clear as mud.

As usual - vague and confusing specifics on the guidelines. 

From personal experience (multiple trips per year - at least 8 exiting Thailand).

The staff at the security check-points at Suvarnabumi are very hot on checking power-banks. 

I always travel with a  power-bank - IF I forget to, the security staff always ask me to take the power-bank out of my carryon... Then then read the specs. 

IF I take the Power bank out and place it next to my laptop on the tray, the security staff still pick it up and read the specs. 

They are looking for that simple magic figure ’20,000mAh’.... (or anything less) - I don’t think they are knowledgable enough or care enough about the output voltage.

I think 32,000 mAh is permitted, but security once told me its 20,000 mAh, so I ensure they are always 20,000 mAh or less - this seems to be the international standard.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

So in Thailand you should be good with any number of power banks of up to 100Wh (27,000mAh at 3.7V or 20,000mAh at 5V) and up to two power banks of up to 160Wh (43,000mAh at 3.7V or 32,000mAh at 5V).

You are incorrect on the number of power banks, the limit is 2 medium sized units 

The medium-sized spare lithium batteries of not exceeding 100-160 Wh rating or 20,000-32,000 mAh are allowed in carry-on bags not over 2 pieces per person

My guess is that medium is specifically over the size and capacity of AA, C, AND D cell batteries 

Now of course you are welcome to try to dispute the limit of 2 x 100Wh power banks however don’t be surprised if you are forced to abandon some.

The larger sized 160Wh batteries must be declared to the airline, I’ve never had the larger size so don’t know the exact procedure but I assume you will be handed a document to present to the security check point.

EDIT These are Thai AOT regulations not FAA airlines have rules that may be less than the national limits 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

23 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are incorrect on the number of power banks, the limit is 2 medium sized units 

My guess is that medium is specifically over the size and capacity of AA, C, AND D cell batteries 

Now of course you are welcome to try to dispute the limit of 2 x 100Wh power banks however don’t be surprised if you are forced to abandon some.

The larger sized 160Wh batteries must be declared to the airline, I’ve never had the larger size so don’t know the exact procedure but I assume you will be handed a document to present to the security check point.

EDIT These are Thai AOT regulations not FAA airlines have rules that may be less than the national limits 

Not sure where I was incorrect. Medium sized units refers to power banks in the range of 100Wh - 160Wh. Of those, you can take up to two units, exactly like I said earlier. It has nothing to do with AA, C or D battery cell formats.