Power bank

Sparktrader

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The medium-sized spare lithium batteries of not exceeding 100-160 Wh rating or 20,000-32,000

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Not sure where I was incorrect. Medium sized units refers to power banks in the range of 100Wh - 160Wh. Of those, you can take up to two units, exactly like I said earlier. It has nothing to do with AA, C or D battery cell formats.

The wording does not confine the Medium size to between 100Wh - 160Wh. Maybe it should but it does not.

It very specifically says Medium size not exceeding 100Wh - 160Wh.

90Wh does not exceed 100Wh 

The limit is 2 Medium size spare/external batteries.

There is no definition of what is Medium size, the only indicator is the graphic.

So please take 20 x 20,000 mAh power banks on a flight and see if you are permitted to carry all of them on or loose 18 in the prohibited goods bin. I don’t know which will happen but in the interest of science and your conviction that the graphic rules I’m sure you will have no problem with conducting the test.

34 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The wording does not confine the Medium size to between 100Wh - 160Wh. Maybe it should but it does not.

It very specifically says Medium size not exceeding 100Wh - 160Wh.

90Wh does not exceed 100Wh 

The limit is 2 Medium size spare/external batteries.

There is no definition of what is Medium size, the only indicator is the graphic.

So please take 20 x 20,000 mAh power banks on a flight and see if you are permitted to carry all of them on or loose 18 in the prohibited goods bin. I don’t know which will happen but in the interest of science and your conviction that the graphic rules I’m sure you will have no problem with conducting the test.

The wording is terrible but not unusual for anyone around here long enough. "Not exceeding" and then a range is of course nonsensical. But if you look at the actual infographic it should become clear. If further in doubt then read relevant regulations by airlines. It's funny that you mentioned doing a test with 20 x <= 100Wh power banks because that's exactly what Thai Airways says is just fine. If you agree to fund the costs of 19 power banks then I'll be happy to ablige and actually do the test. I'll pay for the flight myself und bring one power bank that I already own. Deal? ????

image.png.8fee4e7c81f7b0fad3573b69d8594703.png

About eLoop: they are probably popular because they are extremely cheap and widely available in Thailand. They've been around for a couple years so can't be that bad? Haven't tried them myself.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your conclusion, your confidence, your test, so of course your risk and investment.

I didn't expect you to take the offer seriously after being presented the rules clearly. You already lost that one ????

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I didn't expect you to take the offer seriously after being presented the rules clearly.

The conditions were stated explicitly in my post before yours, I have no knowledge of the person who will be proved correct the wording is certainly not clear. I certainly have not and will not take more than 2 power banks of 20,000 mA on a flight, so why you would imagine that I would take a risk that you clearly are not willing to take or put your money where your mouth is, I fail to comprehend. 
So while there is no test there can be no winner, but you seem less than confident that your interpretation is correct. You would only be risking around 16,000 Baht.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I fail to comprehend.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone who is resisting so hard when presented with reasonable arguments that he also expects someone else to spend 16k THB with no upside just to prove him wrong in a silly online forum discussion. How do they like to say? Up to you ????

Now to come back on topic: @ OP: Last time (a few months ago) I was in Pantip Plaza it wasn't the IT mall it used to be. Just a few small shops left and most of it was empty so save yourself the trip. Better head to MBK but really you can get these power banks in pretty much every mall.

Edited by eisfeld