Google Pay and Wallet Launch in Thailand

snoop1130

77348f8c428b77ecc6d8781e70be7190_small.png

BANGKOK (NNT) - During the pandemic, Thailand saw the rise in popularity of PromptPay and other cashless options as more people stayed home and authorities urged the public to avoid physical contact. Now Android apps Google Pay and Wallet are launching with Bangkok Bank and KTC as its initial partners.

Google Pay is aiming to put everything in just one app and make payments even easier than scanning a QR code.

Users will be able to store credit cards and make payments with a simple tap of the phone or their watch. Cardless ATM services have been introduced by many banks, but Google Pay makes even credit cards unnecessary. The system is currently limited to just Bangkok Bank and KTC credit cards and cannot yet store debit cards.

In addition to payments, Google Wallet also allows users to store boarding passes, thereby eliminating the need for paper passes at the airport.

Full Story: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG221116154226685

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-11-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

1 hour ago, Foghorn said:

You only have to look to the west what the banks and finance platforms / apps have done to people who speak out against government , closedown or frozen bank accounts , stop use of payment systems all to shut people up and control them , silenced on internet,  not a problem until it’s you or your family 

Is there a list of countries where this has happened?

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

As long as your phone is charged up and has a 4g/5g sim card, why would a power cut affect it?

But I'm with you on preferring cash, especially given that some of my spending wouldn't look too good on my monthly credit card statement.

Doesn't the business use a terminal linked to the internet? I've rarely used my phone to pay, if ever, so I don't know.

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

Sorry but cannot even remotely imagine flopping out a phone or a card for that matter, to pay for 20baht items at the local market or street food in say Bkk.

Worldwide one could imagine many places where this "cashless bulldust" simply will not work.

Yuppies gone mad, and most run the countries sadly.

Yuppies gone mad. 

It must be 1980.

Edited by n00dle
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

And will it be available to dirty foreigners without a Thai ID card?

No they don't I just signed up and it works! No Thai ID required they use Credit Card for verification wow smart idea Eh pity Payal never thought of that. Oh wait I thought they already did? I think Paypal Thailand is probably just being run by less clever people than google.

Edited by monkfish
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Doesn't the business use a terminal linked to the internet? I've rarely used my phone to pay, if ever, so I don't know.

I think in most shops such as Lotus's and 7-11 their tills use electricity and they probably aren't able to take money without it. 

I remember a couple of times a few years ago in the UK in Tesco or Sainsbury's the power going down and they had to stop. They needed their electric tills even to take cash as they need records of transactions.

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

I have a BKK Bank Mastercard which I use to pay some bills with & in ATMs.  Will this do?

If it's a credit card, yes. If it's a debit card, no, not yet. Both card types can do what you've described however I suspect you've got a debit card so you'll have to wait like the rest of us plebs ????

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, monkfish said:

No they don't I just signed up and it works! No Thai ID required they use Credit Card for verification wow smart idea Eh pity Payal never thought of that. Oh wait I thought they already did? I think Paypal Thailand is probably just being run by less clever people than google.

Google pay is a totally different problem.. 

Google is just spending.. Paypal is caught up in the tax collection and unregistered illegal businesses problem..

The farangs complaining about the loss of paypal are (almost all) really complaining thier unregistered business cannot keep operating illegally and avoiding Thai taxes and laws. Theres nothing that paypal does for consumer transactions that isnt dont better by wise, only the cart, subscription, web shop integrations (which are all available to an incorporated Thai entity) that Paypal is is what they miss.