Non IM O-A or change to Non IM O?

I arrived and have been on a Non IM O-A for a couple years now.  I am wondering if it makes sense to change to "O" in Thailand.  

Is it possible to change to O from O-A in Thailand?

I am currently out of Thailand with a re-entry permit.  My visa (re-entry) expires 1-2 weeks after I am planning on returning to Thailand.  I could possibly stay out of the country longer and let the visa expire if I had to.  May not be ideal but possible.

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It seems agents\immigration can switch from OA to O. Although technically you're meant to leave the country, it doesn't seem necessary if using an agent

I am not sure if agents can change it to O and then get an extension. They can get an extension of an O-A without health insurance. 

Return after your re-entry expires visa exempt then to Non O here, or get a 90 day Non O at home embassy, you probably have some existing health insurance from your OA to get you through the online Non O application e-visa.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

Return after your re-entry expires visa exempt then to Non O here, or get a 90 day Non O at home embassy, you probably have some existing health insurance from your OA to get you through the online Non O application e-visa.

There are reports that health insurance is not actually required for obtaining a Non-O from an embassy/consulate despite the fact that the website might say it is and the e-visa application asks for it.  Reports from people applying from the UK indicate that one can upload a paper with N/A written on it when asked to show health insurance on the e-visa site.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall a report of that being and it would be illegal plus at a very high cost.

I've posted about it before, think you were on the thread, plus i recall one other had done it and another was trying it but no follow up post. What's very high cost? i think it was less than 20k

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've posted about it before, think you were on the thread, plus i recall one other had done it and another was trying it but no follow up post. What's very high cost? i think it was less than 20k

I would be interested in seeing the stamps done in their passport.

Maybe their passport made a border run for a new entry.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I would be interested in seeing the stamps done in their passport.

Maybe their passport made a border run for a new entry.

yeah I don't know, maybe, i did ask my friend but he was unable to explain just was definite he was changed from OA to O extension using his agent