Visa extension and New Passport issue

Went and got my extension of stay recently (NON IMM-O). 
They could only extend it until the passport expires which is in July 2023.

I will be travelling back to Canada from May to September.
And was intending on getting a new passport while there.

But I now realize I would be re-entering Thailand without a visa!
So I am about to go to Bangkok to get a replacement passport before I leave, then get the transfers to the new passport.

My question is, will I be able to extend my visa (now expiring in July) to sometime after September? (before I leave in May)
Is there a limit to how far before an extension expires, you can extend it? 
I seem to remember something about max 1 month prior.

If that is true, are there any options for me?

Somewhat related question to UJ.  Presume somebody is on an annual extension, let's say originally on a Non-OA.  So, annual extension time comes around and the person has either a passport or required medical insurance that expires in 8 months.  I realize that the extension in both cases will only be granted for 8 months; however, if the person then gets a new passport or then goes and gets another year's worth of medical insurance, will Immigration upon request give the person the full one-year extension or is the person now forever stuck on a new extension date (the date 8 months out)?

10 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Somewhat related question to UJ.  Presume somebody is on an annual extension, let's say originally on a Non-OA.  So, annual extension time comes around and the person has either a passport or required medical insurance that expires in 8 months.  I realize that the extension in both cases will only be granted for 8 months; however, if the person then gets a new passport or then goes and gets another year's worth of medical insurance, will Immigration upon request give the person the full one-year extension or is the person now forever stuck on a new extension date (the date 8 months out)?

When a new extension date is given it is the same date forever unless they get another shortened extension.

• Like 2

Really bad planning here. The expiry date of your passport did not suddenly happen, you must have known it was expiring and that you would have this issue. You should have got a new passport 6 months ago, issue sorted.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jimn said:

Really bad planning here. The expiry date of your passport did not suddenly happen, you must have known it was expiring and that you would have this issue. You should have got a new passport 6 months ago, issue sorted.

Thats what I did, new PP then extension, some countries allow PP renewal application 12 months prior to expiry...... oodles of time to get squared away............

@ubonjoe When I got the extension the officer mentioned 45 days several times, but I could not understand what he was referring to.

Is it possible that an extension can be done 45 days prior to the expiry?

Or is it definitely 30 days?

Any idea what the 45 days he mentioned would be about?

Is it possible that an extension can be done 45 days prior to the expiry?

Or is it definitely 30 days?

Need to check with the office you use, they are all different

some 30 some 45.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Thats what I did, new PP then extension, some countries allow PP renewal application 12 months prior to expiry...... oodles of time to get squared away............

I think most countries will issue a passport if you do a application for one and it does not matter how much validity it has remaking.

I applied for and got new one this year when my passport had over 13 months remaining on it.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 5:28 AM, Mahks said:

But I now realize I would be re-entering Thailand without a visa!

Why?

After getting new passport in Canada, just get a new visa, no big deal.

I have exactly the same problem coming up in 2024, but unlike you my trips to the UK do not fall so conveniently.

13 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

some countries allow PP renewal application 12 months prior to expiry......

Whe I last renewed my PP in 2014, there were nearly 7 years remaining. It was full up with visa stickers from adjacent borders, went for the larger version on renewal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mahks said:

@sandyfI did not want to start the NON IMM-O process all over from scratch.

Again why? You talk like it is a problem when it is no big deal. Get a visa, come back and get extension, no different to renewing extension.

I have recently come back on new E-visa, took me about half an hour sat in front of the computer. Canada is also on the E-visa platform.

Why fart about in Thailand to avoid a simpler solution.

4 minutes ago, Mahks said:

Maybe things have changed?

It used to be you had to leave Thailand every 3 months for the first year of the NON IMM-O

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you have to leave the country every 90 days unless you are married to or the parent of a Thai to get a 60 day extensions of the 90 days.

You are confusing a non-o visa and a one year extension of stay that allows you to stay without leaving the country.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mahks said:

So the only issue for me on getting a new visa in Canada is the medical insurance requirement.

Which category of visa? And upon what basis.

A Non-OA has a lots of requirements.

A single entry non-o visa would only require 90 days of medical insurance if it is based upon retirement.

You could also enter visa exempt and then apply for a non-o visa at immigration that would not require any insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Virtually every country allows passport renewal at any time. For example, If your passport is full or blank pages become damaged or the passport becomes damaged (washing is not good for passports), all of these are reasons for renewal, there are many others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Virtually every country allows passport renewal at any time. For example, If your passport is full or blank pages become damaged or the passport becomes damaged (washing is not good for passports), all of these are reasons for renewal, there are many others.

Did you hand wash it ? ????

• 1 month later...

So I got my new passport and got the stamps moved.

But there is this line that states "Visa is valid through passport expiration date".

Does this mean that that the extension of stay I got on November 10 2022 is valid to November 2023?

The stamp says permitted to stay until July 26 2023 which was the expiration of my old passport.

Seems contradictory.

I will be going to Canada in May returning in September and wondering if that extension will be valid or not.

new pp visa2.png

Edited by Mahks
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2022 at 3:11 PM, CMBob said:

The only way to change your extension date would be to leave without a re-entry stamp and start all over again when you return.

But that is in the new passport, that expires in 10 years...

So they must be referring to the old passport expiry.

But why would the visa extend past the passport expiry if the visa expires on that same date?

Edited by Mahks