My experience with Bangkok aka Swampy airport

Sparktrader

18 minutes ago, digbeth said:

how long is the walk from the train? 

Not far. But you have to go up several levels for departures. Train not full very efficient. Far better than taxi. All well signed.

Lack of seats in departures is a problem. Best to wait on food levels. Ground floor has cheap food. 

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Be interesting to see a naked farang turn up at airport. Get on train naked too. Wonder what would happen

Well , probably already happened but hey , start a vlog and get your name in the papers !!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I must admit the prices of food and drink is shocking after security. Kinda gets you use to farangland 

Well food is expensive in many airports, many countries.

Sydney, 1 year ago AUD12.99 for a ham and cheese sandwich. 

Narita Tokyo, food and drink prices are unbelievable. 

KLIA also prices beyond belief.

And...

The thing about the ARL is that you can wait up to fifteen minutes and perhaps more to get on the bloody thing. When it was at it's highpoint pre covid it was far too crowded.

I think they dropped the two trains - one was local. They should bring it back.

One local train stopping at Lat Krabang. And another airport train Phaya Thai - Makkassan - Airport.

1 minute ago, Laphroaig27 said:

The thing about the ARL is that you can wait up to fifteen minutes and perhaps more to get on the bloody thing. When it was at it's highpoint pre covid it was far too crowded.

I think they dropped the two trains - one was local. They should bring it back.

One local train stopping at Lat Krabang. And another airport train Phaya Thai - Makkassan - Airport.

Train every 15 mins. Not long. Try getting a taxi meter. That can take 15 mins or more.

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Train every 15 mins. Not long. Try getting a taxi meter. That can take 15 mins or more.

Usually my wife and myself book a taxi from HuayKwang. No wait.

If alone I'd probably do the ARL.

It's not always 15. Sometimes 20 it's just whatever. I always seem to arrive a minute or two after the train leaves so it's always 15 minutes.

I used to work out at Hua Mark and trip out in early morning fine. Trip back was dire even at 3-4pm.

38 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

How do you get to the Airport link ?.... You still need a taxi, right ? or can walk?

So most people still need a taxi which makes the above comment somewhat moot.

From Thonglor, its quicker to get to the airport than to the Makkassan Station... 

Unless someone lives within 5mins walk of Makkassan station and has no baggage the Airport Rail link offers no convenience or time saving. 

According to Google Maps..  Right now (Saturday 1pm).

It will take 21 mins from Makkassan to the Airport by Taxi.

It takes 26 mins by train.

Of course, the train is more reliable than the traffic... i.e. at 5-6pm on a Friday it’ll take a lot longer to get to the airport...

But, for anyone using a taxi to get from their Condo to Makkassan the traffic is also dire in the city centre....  or BTS / MRT is also dire (extremely crowded) especially with lugged and involves a lot of steps. 

IF the travelling at a time when the Airport Rail Link is quiet, odd are the roads are not that busy either and its a 30-45min journey to the airport from most area’s of town.

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How do you get to the Airport link ?.... You still need a taxi, right ? or can walk?

So most people still need a taxi which makes the above comment somewhat moot.

From Thonglor, its quicker to get to the airport than to the Makkassan Station... 

Unless someone lives within 5mins walk of Makkassan station and has no baggage the Airport Rail link offers no convenience or time saving. 

OP's a tourist on a shoestring budget. I did that many years ago too. You put up with all sorts of inconveniences to save a few (hundred) baht.

When I was doing it full on, BKK was still at Don Mueang not Swampy. The bus into town that dropped you off near Democracy Monument was what, 3 baht 50 satang? IIRC taxi was in excess of 100 baht (dunno, too cheap to ever take one).

The money I saved got me a cheap room on the KSR. I think I might have even been able to squeeze a small bottle of Singha out of it too.

Thankfully those days are behind me and now I won't settle for anything less than the AOT 7-Series ????