My Chihuahuas

Although Sadie is not behaving that unusually, Leo is showing all sorts of mad! behaviour.

Sadie is too small at the moment although old enough, so we are keeping them apart.

Leo is doing everything in his power to see her, up to and including jumping to see if he can get the door lever down to open the door, an impossible task.

My questions are:

How long does Sadie have this particular moment?

My other more particular poignant question is, Leo has stopped eating, he is just about eating a little from my hands and then only very occasionally, but nowhere near enough and just now he appeared very listless.

Getting a little concerned now although we have been through this once before, I can't remember Leo being this listless before, somehow I have got to get him to eat.

Any thoughts?

Moss

any male dog in the area of a bitch in heat will suffer so maybe better to move him away (or her) for a two/three week holiday; she basically can only get pregnant in the time period AFTER u stop seeing the light brown blood spots: the 9- to twelth days are the best days to breed: once every other day usually does it . or with an experienced stud, let him run with her daily. an unexperienced stud just tires himself out...

my boxer male was in the same house and it was madness and he lost lots of weight... watch out, bitches in heat will do amazing things to get to a male also: my boxer bitch jumped over my head (as i was bending down to fix my shoe, blocking the screen door), and thru the screen she flew, to consort with every yossi david and chaim that was available, totally ingnoring poor nero, her chosen mate... they will do it thru fences, standing on boxes, jump out windows, etc.

bina

A little tip from an old Fart, to stop your male dog going nuts when the bitch is in season,there is a natural product made from green leaves called Chlorophyll comes in tablet form , 100 of these tablets costs 2.90 dollars australian probably cheaper in thailand,half a tablet mixed in a seasonal bitches food daily completely neutralises the scent that the bitch gives off when she is in season,vets dont usually prescribe it because they earn more on injections, we have been using chlorophyll successfully as a birth control in boarding and breeding kennels and dogs homes in germany and switzerland, for 40 years that I know of,I even used it successfully on our European Wolf Captive breeding programme in the early 80,s :o Nignoy

Proestrus = 4-15 days

Estrus =4-8 days

This period (about 2 wks) of Sadie makes Leo gets crazy and anorexia

(estrus cycle in dog is 6-8mths)

Thanks Bam, I can't remember him going anorexic last time and certainly not this listless at the end of the day, I seriously panicked!

any male dog in the area of a bitch in heat will suffer so maybe better to move him away (or her) for a two/three week holiday; she basically can only get pregnant in the time period AFTER u stop seeing the light brown blood spots: the 9- to twelth days are the best days to breed: once every other day usually does it . or with an experienced stud, let him run with her daily. an unexperienced stud just tires himself out...

my boxer male was in the same house and it was madness and he lost lots of weight... watch out, bitches in heat will do amazing things to get to a male also: my boxer bitch jumped over my head (as i was bending down to fix my shoe, blocking the screen door), and thru the screen she flew, to consort with every yossi david and chaim that was available, totally ingnoring poor nero, her chosen mate... they will do it thru fences, standing on boxes, jump out windows, etc.

bina

It is difficult to let go somewhere else as family are either allergic to pets or live in unsuitable accomadation.

Friends all have children and he does have a tendency to snap if he has his tailed pulled.

Although is very protective at present with the wife and new born.

I have heard about the 1 day on and 1 day off and will keep your other advice about most fertile on record.

Shame about your Male Boxer missing out to every other waif and stray.

any male dog in the area of a bitch in heat will suffer

Yes, when a female dog is in heat.The pheromone form her vaginal discharge disperses for about 1 mile.

1 mile, wow that is amazing!!

A little tip from an old Fart, to stop your male dog going nuts when the bitch is in season,there is a natural product made from green leaves called Chlorophyll comes in tablet form , 100 of these tablets costs 2.90 dollars australian probably cheaper in thailand,half a tablet mixed in a seasonal bitches food daily completely neutralises the scent that the bitch gives off when she is in season,vets dont usually prescribe it because they earn more on injections, we have been using chlorophyll successfully as a birth control in boarding and breeding kennels and dogs homes in germany and switzerland, for 40 years that I know of,I even used it successfully on our European Wolf Captive breeding programme in the early 80,s :o Nignoy

Thanks Nignoy, I was actually wondering if there was something we can give her, I have never heard of this, I might give it a try.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

Moss

Why don't you just get one or both of your dogs neutered? It will solve all of the problems and other problems coming from neighbors pets, accidental births, as well as can help with some type of cancers later in life? I understand if you really want to breed one of the dogs, but do you want to breed both of them? Are there some reasons you MAY want to breed them that might be due to faulty reasoning, like that all dogs need to have at least one litter of puppies in order to be happy, and then you will get her or them neutered? Many people pass on stories about how dogs need to be have puppies to be happy which is why I mention this, you may or may not have heard this.

Anyway, it is not expensive to get this done in Thailand, although you should get a reliable vet and be sure you take good care, give the antibiotics afterwards, and be careful for any signs of infection so that you can followup if there is an infection. If you don't believe in it for some reason or feel confused, maybe you could do research on a veterinary website in America or UK or Australia, something like that. Or a website like Humane Society even though they obviously care a lot about birth control they give reliable info about the whole issue.

Why don't you just get one or both of your dogs neutered?

Because they are both pedigree and I wish to mate them.

I understand if you really want to breed one of the dogs, but do you want to breed both of them?

A little unsure of your intent here, but I wish to mate them with each other.

Yes I have heard this, it is good to know your opinion, the fact it may not be true, although it will have no bearing on what happens now.

Rest assured my boy & girl get the best of attention in what ever regard, despite my obvious ignorance.

I appreciate your response, although I fear I do not understand it.

Thank you for taking the time.

Anyway, by chance from my last post, he appears to have regained some composure, he is no longer acting so mad, and I mixed him some salmon and rice today and he wolfed it down.

He is no longer attacking a slightly open door and is no more howling at the moon.

Is the worst of it over?

Good Luck

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

Mossfin,

Now you know how mad those males can become at times :D

I completely sympathize with you.

Nignoy: WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME/US THIS BEFORE???????? Every half a year I was suffering with those highly frustrated males-in-love. And don't think that females come in heat all in once. NOOOOO, they prefer to do so one AFTER another :o

But now ... I will stuff those females full with the greeny pills :D:bah:

:D:D

nignoy!!!

will that work with goats???

our avram, our boer buck is in heat, so are the does and so we put avram far away, with the donkeys, so he stopped eating and stood head down for a whole day, so we brought him back up to be with the girls (smart guy ?::o ) but we dont want babies for another few months (december is bad time to kid)... he's in same pen but separated and fractious... what do u say? or does it just work on canines???

bina

ps. i realize this just neutralizes scent it does NOT prevent pregnancy, but would help keep our buck calmer if he didnt have to smell the does for three more cycles of 21 days of their heat til i want to breed them

Edited by bina

nignoy!!!

will that work with goats???

our avram, our boer buck is in heat, so are the does and so we put avram far away, with the donkeys, so he stopped eating and stood head down for a whole day, so we brought him back up to be with the girls (smart guy ?::D ) but we dont want babies for another few months (december is bad time to kid)... he's in same pen but separated and fractious... what do u say? or does it just work on canines???

bina

ps. i realize this just neutralizes scent it does NOT prevent pregnancy, but would help keep our buck calmer if he didnt have to smell the does for three more cycles of 21 days of their heat til i want to breed them

Yes it just neutralises the scent ,have never tried it on herbivores but give it a whirl ,its only natural extracts so can do no harm!!, ming you I dont know if it will affect lactation.But I have always found with amorous Billy goats, a small tap on the scrotum with 2 housebricks always did the job :D no pain involved as long as you dont get your Thumbs between the 2 bricks :o Nignoy