DOJ announces special counsel for Trump-related Mar-a-Lago and January 6 criminal investigations

Scott

Donald Trump: Photos Of His Most Ridiculous Moments: See ...

Attorney General Merrick Garland on Friday appointed a special counsel to oversee the criminal investigations into the retention of national defense information at former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago report and parts of the January 6, 2021, insurrection.

Both investigations implicate the conduct of Trump, who on Tuesday declared his candidacy in the 2024 presidential race, making him a potential rival of President Joe Biden.

“Based on recent developments, including the former President’s announcement that he is a candidate for President in the next election, and the sitting President’s stated intention to be a candidate as well, I have concluded that it is in the public interest to appoint a special counsel,” Garland said at the Justice Department on Friday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/18/politics/justice-department-trump-special-counsel/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

• Like 1

Who is Jack Smith, the special counsel named in the Trump investigations

Jack Smith, the special counsel announced by Attorney General Merrick Garland on Friday to oversee the criminal investigations into the retention of classified documents at former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort and parts of the January 6, 2021, insurrection, has been a longtime Justice Department prosecutor.

In 2018, he became chief prosecutor for the special court in The Hague, where he investigated war crimes in Kosovo.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/18/politics/jack-smith-special-counsel/index.html

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

Well, 45 can't claim its politically motivated. His track record, and results of mid term election candidates that he supported, would suggest that the Democrats would be guaranteed to win if he ran.

I think the main reason is that it obviates the possibility that another AG Barr will arrive on the scene in 2024 and kill any ongoing prosecutions. As far as I am aware, a special counsel can't be stopped.

• Like 1

Trump spits his dummy out of the pram. This move has to signal an increased likelihood of a prosecution.

“I have been proven innocent for six years on everything — from fake impeachments to Mueller, who found no collusion, and now I have to do it more? It is not acceptable. It is so unfair. It is so political,” Trump told Fox, adding “I am not going to partake in it.”

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Well, 45 can't claim its politically motivated. His track record, and results of mid term election candidates that he supported, would suggest that the Democrats would be guaranteed to win if he ran.

Yet he did just that....he protested being investigated by a special council. He claims it is all politically motivated and all the stuff found at Mara Lago were his personal items and his Declassified papers....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I think the strongest case against Trump is the illegal possession of documents. That seems very cut-and-dried. Also obstruction of justice charges in denying possession of many documents.  There's not much if any room for semantics in this case.

The charges won't come together. I think the documents and the Georgia charges will come soonish but the obstruction charges will be close to the 2004 election. I think that was uppermost in Garland's mind.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering 51 FBI agents said that Hunter 'laptop was Russian disinformation and got social media to ban all posts about it

The fbi banned posts on the “laptop “ conspiracy? 

Wow.

i thought they warned facilebook book et al that the story may be fake. 

Didn’t realise they specifically banned posting on it. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Typos
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

1.  It turned out NOT to be.

2. The border is wide open under Biden, 3-4 million migrants walking in. If someone stole money , prosecute them , republican or not

3. Lots of Dems are on film telling them to go out and riot ! Billions in damages, lots of deaths and no prosecution at all. Whys that ?

1.  Exactly what has been proven about the contents of that laptop?  Give credible sources, please.

2.  The border is a problem but not a crisis.  If it were a true crisis there would be aggressive prosecution of the people who hire these illegal immigrants.  I haven't seen any sign of that, or any push for that from Republicans.  Have you noticed how DeSantis has gone quiet on illegal immigration now that Florida needs those illegals for hurricane cleanup and rebuilding?

3.  Provide links to those films you claim exist.