Thai PM pledges “heart-to-heart” cooperation with the US

webfact

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They do have the same rules.... 

The Embassy has to issue a verification of income (actually pension) letter, or have 800k in the bank, or show 65,000 baht into a Thai Bank each month for a retirement extension! Many years ago, one simply could show evidence of income..... from whatever source it came, then a later requirement of the Embassy verifying this income came in. A subsequent request by immigration that Embassies really verify this income, not simply do stat decs or affidavit (which do not verify anything) subsequently caused  few Embassies (UK, USA, Oz and Denmark) to balk, and stop their verification letter service.

Personally I think they should make everyone have the 800,000 baht in the bank... but it would be bad situation to preclude people living on pensions without savings. 

Just for grins , to tell how one sided this is and how much of a scam it is.

I know of guys that get their verification letters and then have them falsified.

How many of the guys that get verification letters from their Embassy do you think can put 65K baht in a Thai bank monthly ?  My guess would be less than half if that much.

How many have bills and debts in their country that takes a portion of their retirement?

But, the Thai government wants 65K deposited in their banks from the richest countries. 

What a double standard. 

If I have to put 65K in a bank every month or 800K in a bank.. Everyone should have to.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You should read what you post.... I grasp the topic is about USA, but you want Thailand to make USA specific requirements.... ?

"The U.S.-Thailand Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) was signed in 2002 and provides the strategic framework and principles for dialogue and cooperation on trade and investment issues between the United States and Thailand."

9 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Agreed! I, along with many working class retirees from other nations are outpriced in our home countries. A great steady source of annual income spending for Thailand. After a decade retired in Thailand, without having any problems, Thailand should grant Residency Cards, in lieu ov further Visa Extensions. File form with immigration only when residence address changes.

Yes exactly. 

That how my Thai wife and I both have Permanent HKID....just 7 years living there,apply and you've got it.(oh you have to declare that you plan to make Hong Kong your home etc)

. But NO monetary requirements or future reporting or visits to / immigration. 

Virtually free medical. 

The way it should be !

14 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Thanks you just proved my point...   "but it would be bad situation to preclude people living on pensions without savings"

So Thailand just changes the rules for the western countries and kicks out the pensioners with out savings.. 

Thanks for the clarification.  I will post this on the expat threads.

Thailand at that time changed the rules to  accommodate those whose Embassies refused to issue income letters... to the Expats benefit. Those rules can be used equally by any nationality... 

I simply proved you were being obtuse and anti Thai. Pensioners without savings can use the income into a Thai bank method, whatever nationality. Perhaps there is the combination method too, of savings and income but at first that was not being accepted, not really sure where it is now.

Edited by jacko45k

13 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Just for grins , to tell how one sided this is and how much of a scam it is.

I know of guys that get their verification letters and then have them falsified.

How many of the guys that get verification letters from their Embassy do you think can put 65K baht in a Thai bank monthly ?  My guess would be less than half if that much.

How many have bills and debts in their country that takes a portion of their retirement?

But, the Thai government wants 65K deposited in their banks from the richest countries. 

What a double standard. 

If I have to put 65K in a bank every month or 800K in a bank.. Everyone should have to.

False letter was the issue that created this scenario, immigration were accepting a wide variety but only glancing over them... the multitude of languages and so called 'proof' was wooly. So the Embassy verifying them was required. The use of affidavit or stat dec meant there was no real verification, although I heard the UK Embassy checked the paperwork, but only issued a letter saying they had 'seen it'. Of course some were false...

There of course is also a multitude of cases of people falsifying their qualification for a retirement Extension... a bigger example being those who pay an agent to get immigration to sign off on the 800k bank balance requirement. Which is also open to all comers. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

False letter was the issue that created this scenario, immigration were accepting a wide variety but only glancing over them... the multitude of languages and so called 'proof' was wooly. So the Embassy verifying them was required. The use of affidavit or stat dec meant there was no real verification, although I heard the UK Embassy checked the paperwork, but only issued a letter saying they had 'seen it'. Of course some were false...

There of course is also a multitude of cases of people falsifying their qualification for a retirement Extension... a bigger example being those who pay an agent to get immigration to sign off on the 800k bank balance requirement. Which is also open to all comers. 

So you are saying it is ok for Thailand to embrace rampant corruption in the immigration dept. But, it is too much trouble for immigration to check actual bank records to prove income. What a bunch of nonsense.

I just went threw Thai immigration in Laos. WHICH you had to show bank statements to show income. Very easy process.  

You don't have a leg to stand on here. 

Just a scam , no other way to say it.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You cannot make this stuff up folks.  

So to recap here.

If you don't have the funds then bribe your way into Thailand and it is perfectly ok. 

What does that do?  Well, it opens the door to every scum bag , low life of every country to make Thailand home!

Not only that you would have to be an idiot to put money in the bank, even if you have the funds. It makes no financial sense what so ever.

Don't get me wrong here, I like Thailand and have been coming here for years. I like the people. Great place to vacation for a few months.  

4 hours ago, Gknrd said:

So you are saying it is ok for Thailand to embrace rampant corruption in the immigration dept

Where on earth did I say it is OK? 

YOU with your anti local stance call it a scam... I simply tell you what the situation is, and perhaps clarify how it came about IIRC. 

I am wasting my time and it ends now.