Thailand Road Carnage: One dead, 46 injured as tour bus overturns after Khao Khor, Petchabun trip

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: 46 injured, one dead

Nam Nao police in Petchabun, north eastern Thailand, were called after a tour bus failed to negotiate a bend and overturned in a very hilly area.

The accident happened near the Nam Nao national park on the Lomsak to Chumphae Road, Route 12 (KM marker 149) reported Daily News.

Forty six people were injured and there was one fatality. Victims were taken to Konsan Hospital in Chaiyaphum and Nam Nao Hospital.

The tour bus had come from Wapipathum district of Mara Sarakham also in the NE.

It contained women from the area who had been on a study/survey tour to Khao Khor a popular tourist spot.

They were on their way back through a very windy and hilly area.

Police are investigating but the media said that some sort of brake failure looks likely to be the cause.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They were on their way back through a very windy and hilly area.

Very much so. I used to live near Chumphae and know this road well (major Route 12 from Tak (west) across North Thailand to Mukdahan (east). Despite being a well surfaced road, from Lomsak to Chumphae most of it becomes an ordinary 2-way road which ascends and descends, also twisting and turning among the hills of the Nam Nao National Park. The photo below shows the Huai Tong Bridge which has steep approach roads either side and is curved itself. A good view point.

Matt Hunt on Twitter: "Went a little bit out of the way to check out Hugo  Tong Beidge สะพานห้วยตอง, also known as King Pha Mueang Bridge in  Phetchabun. Well worth the 20-minute

• Like 2

Many times a week I drive between Nan and Santisuk. The road is very well marked and nicely paved. It is however full of turns and hills. No matter what day it is or the time of day I can count a handful of oncoming traffic vehicles that cut across the turns into my lane. Sad that they are too lazy to keep within their own lane (or going too fast).

........and don't get me started with the inability to stop at zebra crossings when pedestrians are visible.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Very much so. I used to live near Chumphae and know this road well (major Route 12 from Tak (west) across North Thailand to Mukdahan (east). Despite being a well surfaced road, from Lomsak to Chumphae most of it becomes an ordinary 2-way road which ascends and descends, also twisting and turning among the hills of the Nam Nao National Park. The photo below shows the Huai Tong Bridge which has steep approach roads either side and is curved itself. A good view point.

Matt Hunt on Twitter: "Went a little bit out of the way to check out Hugo  Tong Beidge สะพานห้วยตอง, also known as King Pha Mueang Bridge in  Phetchabun. Well worth the 20-minute

Also the site where a bus failed to turn onto the bridge after a long curvy downhill stretch, I'm guessing, about 8 years ago. Took to the air and ended in the ravine.  30 or 40 people died. Very sad. 

• Thanks 1