Russian tourists pack charter flights to Pattaya and Phuket

webfact

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

They speak Russian.

Obviously. But how many people can identify a foreign language as Russian when they hear it spoken? Polish, Hungarian, Romanian, Czech, Yugoslav would all sound similar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They speak Russian. They also hang around in small groups in the burbs and aren't apparently going to the bars or with "girlfriends". The clues are out there.

They don't queue in 7/11 cashier lines as well another clue..........

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Obviously. But how many people can identify a foreign language as Russian when they hear it spoken? Polish, Hungarian, Romanian, Czech, Yugoslav would all sound similar.

The chances that so many of these are those other groups and NOT Russian has to be vanishingly small. Occam's razor.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Russian tourists packed Azur Airline and Ikar Airline flights to Pattaya and Phuket, with the expected number of Russian tourists flying to Thailand to reach one million people next year.

A Russian exodus escaping a certain call-up to arms.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tomyami said:

A Russian avoiding the draft is still a supporter of the brutal war they should not be allowed fun in the sun while there country is killing, torturing and raping civilians in neighboring Ukraine.

Shame Thailand accepts this blood money.

There are many orcs around they have being packing middle eastern flights to here for months

I tend to feel the same way, fun in the sun ( rain rather ) certainly seems wrong.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomyami said:

A Russian avoiding the draft is still a supporter of the brutal war they should not be allowed fun in the sun while there country is killing, torturing and raping civilians in neighboring Ukraine.

There are many orcs around they have being packing middle eastern flights to here for months

Not quite.

While I would accept that all Russians have some collective responsibility the military avoiders are more like refugees than tourists. Of course unless wealthy, they'll need to move on to other countries or even be forced to go home.

Also of course they vary in support of the war from gung ho Z fascists to fleeing activists. My feeling is that the majority are apolitical but surprise surprise the politics came to bite them. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah I really wish they would label themselves.

You see a Russkie and you wonder, decent one or Putin Z fascist.

Many years ago when I worked in the Middle East I had a Russian colleague, Mikhail, who was actually a pretty goog guy. He lived in a hotel in Bahrain and I think he diposed of most of his salary through the mini-bar!

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Totally inance.

Nobody is suggesting Ukraine is populated by saints, but they are indeed the innocent victims of genocidal fascist Russia. 

On the World Corruption Index Ukraine is actually rated as more corrupt than Thailand or El Salvador!

Edited by Andrew65
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Not that similar really.

A bigger issue would be people from other countries that speak Russian but I don't think they send huge numbers here.

6 hours ago, jcmj said:

I’ll take the Russians over the Indians and Chinese any day, we’ll for the most part. There are always exceptions. 

Or the Brits. Better manners and a lot better looking. Spoken English possibly a little more understandable.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

wow, thats one very good reason to stay away then, I was planning on 3 months in Feb/Mar but I think I will go elsewhere ????????????

Great, you'd probably just detract from the scenery offered by those Russian hotties on the beach. Already got a few nearby me wearing their thongs out there daily. ????

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Most of these charters operate 1X weekly. And they (Pegas/Ikar, Azur) have smaller aircraft.

Aeroflot has 3X/4X weekly flights SVO-HKT/BKK. They operate B777, for which they have limited access to parts and service.

Planes are packed, in one direction at least.

So much for our head Pattaya Doomster's claim that Russian tourism has no prospect of reviving.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Please dear Buddha spare me from any future horror of seeing hugely fat middle aged Russkie men and women in skimpy swimsuits parading in and out of banks supermarkets etc.

Open your eyes. Look for the lovely daughters.

Won't be many of those this time. No draft worries on their part.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah but it's relevant to know what portion are refugees. Refugees aren't tourists. 

Oh, my. They gotta stay in refugee camps and eat gov't-issued MRE? Can't check into hotels, eat & drink at restos, hit the bars, shop in the malls and the markets? No swimming & sunbathing?

Bring 'em on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomyami said:

Perfect comments from behind the safety of a computer-screen.

What would you do if you were facing prison for being drafted into a war you disagreed with ???

You’d stand by your moralistic principles, refuse and publicly protest, right ???? 

You wouldn’t try and get out of the country to avoid jail and spending your ‘blood money’ elsewhere making a hypocrite of yourself, would you ??? :whistling:

• Like 2