Russian tourists pack charter flights to Pattaya and Phuket

webfact

55 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not quite.

While I would accept that all Russians have some collective responsibility the military avoiders are more like refugees than tourists. Of course unless wealthy, they'll need to move on to other countries or even be forced to go home.

Also of course they vary in support of the war from gung ho Z fascists to fleeing activists. My feeling is that the majority are apolitical but surprise surprise the politics came to bite them. 

They come from a society where espousing your political views can land you in prison. I reckon very many Russians despise Putin and all that he stands for, but would never openly say so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perfect comments from behind the safety of a computer-screen.

What would you do if you were facing prison for being drafted into a war you disagreed with ???

You’d stand by your moralistic principles, refuse and publicly protest, right ???? 

You wouldn’t try and get out of the country to avoid jail and spending your ‘blood money’ elsewhere making a hypocrite of yourself, would you ??? :whistling:

When I was 19, I was called up for the Vietnam War. I was determined to go to gaol if I had to rather than go fight an unpopular and unjust war. Fortunately, the draft was cancelled before the moment came. Yes, I would stand by my "moralistic principles". Do you have any?

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why?

I was living in Pattaya when they were there in large numbers and they didn't cause any problems that I was aware of.

Very true. You don't have to like them and most don't speak English or refuse to.

They often come with wife/family. Not the #1 target customers for bars/redlight.

They won't stand much in your way.

I guess the majority will still stick to Jomtien?

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If they've been forced out of their country and don't intend to return they are still refugees.

Oh. Do they have special refugee visa stamps? Can their visas be like, extended, as if they're what you think of as real tourists?

I don't intend to return to my country either, BTW.???? Especially now. You might call me a long-term refugee.  

Edited by BigStar

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Oh. Do they have special refugee visa stamps? Can their visas be like, extended, as if they're what you think of as real tourists?

I don't intend to return to my country either, BTW.???? Especially now. You might call me a long-term refugee.  

You don't get it.

It's irrelevant how long they can stay in Thailand.

Unless they can buy an Elite Visa they are in transit here or they will go underground.

Mostly they're seeking ways they can financially survive out of Russia and/or searching for other countries where they can more permanently settle.

Some might bop around Asia for years hoping their country changes.

Sure they'll go to the beach and eat Pad Thai but the above concerns are not those of normal tourists.

You're right they are not official refugees like Ukrainians in Europe.

If you can return to your country without fear of arrest, mobilization, or being murdered, you aren't a refugee.

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

When I was 19, I was called up for the Vietnam War. I was determined to go to gaol if I had to rather than go fight an unpopular and unjust war. Fortunately, the draft was cancelled before the moment came. Yes, I would stand by my "moralistic principles". Do you have any?

Principled enough to know when and when not to be a hypocrite...  

You are pinning your example on a scenario that never came to fruition... “I would have...”    ... but you didn’t, so it doesn’t mean anything...  the comment is just ‘pie in the sky’...

You had the luxury of being in the US...  Russia is still very different.

Would YOU stand by your principles in Russia ?? protest ?? how would you avoid conscription into a war you completely disagree with in Russia ????   

Me ???... I’m not ashamed to say I’d get out of dodge...   I don’t blame the Russians who are coming to Thailand for doing so.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's irrelevant how long they can stay in Thailand.

Oh, it's totally relevant, just as it is with you and me.

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

nless they can buy an Elite Visa they are in transit here or they will go underground.

Mostly they're seeking ways they can financially survive out of Russia and/or searching for other countries where they can more permanently settle.

Now you've merely resorted to hot air. Oh, maybe this, maybe not. Some do, some don't, yada yada. Anyone coming in on a tourist visa may or may not do the same. Finished with the "refugee" non-issue?

Edited by BigStar

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are pinning your example on a scenario that never came to fruition... “I would have...”    ... but you didn’t, so it doesn’t mean anything...  the comment is just ‘pie in the sky’...

Would YOU stand by your principles in Russia ?? protest ?? how would you avoid conscription into a war you completely disagree with in Russia ????   

Me ???... I’m not ashamed to say I’d get out of dodge...   I don’t blame the Russians who are coming to Thailand for doing so.

I don't blame the Russians for coming to Thailand either. Disgusting of you to claim I have no principles.

Edited by ozimoron

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah but it's relevant to know what portion are refugees. Refugees aren't tourists. 

What if you turn on the logic? Why run away to Thailand when you can go to a neighboring country two or three times cheaper!

10 minutes ago, anyone said:

What if you turn on the logic? Why run away to Thailand when you can go to a neighboring country two or three times cheaper!

They might like Asia, the weather  and they can bop around.

Georgia and Turkey are not that cheap especially Tbilisi. Massive rent spikes because of Russians.

I don’t think the Stan's are cheaper than Thailand on a budget.

There are a limited number of countries Russians can fly into these days without a visa and Thailand is one of them. So Thailand is getting some Russian refugees.

Remember WW2? China and the Philippines got some Jewish refugees.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I don't blame the Russians for coming to Thailand either. Disgusting of you to claim I have no principles.

Don’t play the victim... I haven’t accused you of not having principles... 

But, the example you used to ‘claim the moral high ground’ was not something which played out... you never did face conscription....   

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Yes, I would stand by my "moralistic principles". Do you have any?

And yet you get so butt hurt when your moral example is brought into question and think nothing of questioning someone else’s morals ??? [do you have any?]... hypocritical much ?

Edited by richard_smith237

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You had no basis whatsoever for questioning my principles and it's a personal flame to do so.

Anyway...  Apologies if your feelings were hurt... 

I’ll make no further response to your comments in this thread as you seem to interpret everything as a personal attack and lack the emotional tools to discuss without getting upset or offended.

All the best.. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you are unfortunately from a country who invades another country and you disagree with it but are conscripted, you don't have to kill, murder or rape anyone,  what would stop you from shooting to miss instead of shooting to kill and keeping away from women?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, NoshowJones said:

If you are unfortunately from a country who invades another country and you disagree with it but are conscripted, you don't have to kill, murder or rape anyone,  what would stop you from shooting to miss instead of shooting to kill and keeping away from women?

You might be firing artillery that isn't aimed by yourself. You might also wind up with a bullet in the back of the head.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You might be firing artillery that isn't aimed by yourself. You might also wind up with a bullet in the back of the head.

True, but that may be the chance you have to take when you are in combat.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perfect comments from behind the safety of a computer-screen.

What would you do if you were facing prison for being drafted into a war you disagreed with ???

You’d stand by your moralistic principles, refuse and publicly protest, right ???? 

You wouldn’t try and get out of the country to avoid jail and spending your ‘blood money’ elsewhere making a hypocrite of yourself, would you ??? :whistling:

Plenty of examples of support for the war from Russians living outside and also from the comfort of their keyboards

The hypocrites are Russians who hate the west so much but love to live here rather than their <deleted>hole of a country.

Escaping a draft is not a rejection of the war.

This war is only comparable to Nazi Germany's ww2 exploits and ISIS brutality, any civilized human should be ashamed to be linked to a society capable of such evil

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, tomyami said:

A Russian avoiding the draft is still a supporter of the brutal war they should not be allowed fun in the sun while there country is killing, torturing and raping civilians in neighboring Ukraine.

Shame Thailand accepts this blood money.

There are many orcs around they have being packing middle eastern flights to here for months

Definitely this. Russia and Russians in general have shown their true colours. It might not be all of them who are horrid Putin supporting little nazis but it is a fair percentage

• Thumbs Up 1

Ban ALL Russians from Thailand! They started the war and only Russians can kick out Putin. Don't allow them to escape their country; they have to stop Putin!
But as we all know, money is No 1 in Thailand and all the rest is just not important.

29 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Ban ALL Russians from Thailand! They started the war and only Russians can kick out Putin. Don't allow them to escape their country; they have to stop Putin!
But as we all know, money is No 1 in Thailand and all the rest is just not important.

Fully agree!

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

maybe the Chechen mercenary officer behind you with the AK47?

• Like 1