eVisa Border Bump

I'm a US citizen. eVisa are available to citizens of my country.

Is it possible to obtain a TR eVisa, cross into a neighboring country, cross back into Thailand presenting the TR eVisa for entry? Same for multiple entry TR?

Are there any reports supporting the actual experience on the ground?

It's questionable at the very least. Some consulates have told applicants that they can only apply if they're present within their jurisdiction while the eVisa is being processed. You could trick them into believing that's the case, but it might backfire. 

16 minutes ago, Caldera said:

It's questionable at the very least. Some consulates have told applicants that they can only apply if they're present within their jurisdiction while the eVisa is being processed. You could trick them into believing that's the case, but it might backfire. 

How would the consulate know where you are located? Are they doing stuff like logging IP addresses or browser fingerprinting?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

How would the consulate know where you are located? Are they doing stuff like logging IP addresses or browser fingerprinting?

At this point, it's pretty much an unknown. They might not actively look for such evidence. Maybe the biggest risk is that an IO realizes that you weren't where you got the visa from (stamps in your passport vs. country the consulate is located in), and refuses to honor it. I don't think that has happened yet, but at some point they might choose to crack down on it.

• Thanks 1

Some people have successfully done it. However, officially, it is not allowed. The consular officials would be able to check if they have time, and are suspicious. I believe it is only a matter of time before they are very aware of some trying it, and begin to look for it. If you are found out, it may just mean a denied visa, or it could be more serious.

5 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Why not? It certainly worked for me. Do you have other experience?

I read the OP's intention as leaving Thailand and then re-entering using the same tourist visa to trigger another sixty days.  That would not work. 

I assume from what you said that you interpret the OP's post differently.

7 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I read the OP's intention as leaving Thailand and then re-entering using the same tourist visa to trigger another sixty days.  That would not work. 

You read it wrong. He is asking about applying for a e visa and then using it to enter the county.

11 hours ago, night_rider said:

Is it possible to obtain a TR eVisa, cross into a neighboring country, cross back into Thailand presenting the TR eVisa for entry? Same for multiple entry TR?

7 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Why not? It certainly worked for me. Do you have other experience?

I appreciate the replies. @MajorTom I also appreciate the confirmation.

I will eventually be moving to an LTR visa but for various reasons don't wish to do this quite yet. I have one more visa exempt border crossing left to use so I think I'll try the TR eVisa and should anything go wrong I can hopefully fall back on exempt status.

The policy of governments does not always follow logic but I could not imagine why it would not work. Many people apply for visa in advance for multi nation trips and cross borders by land, sea and air. 

The advantage for me is a bit of additional time, not using an exempt entry and less likely an IO will decline an issued visa. The advantage for the government is I am better vetted for entry into the country. There is a bit of additional cost but that's just peace of mind if it works as hoped.

7 minutes ago, night_rider said:

I will eventually be moving to an LTR visa but for various reasons don't wish to do this quite yet. I have one more visa exempt border crossing left to use so I think I'll try the TR eVisa and should anything go wrong I can hopefully fall back on exempt status.

Your land border visa exempt limit will reset in January and you currently get 45 days, so with one more remaining this year and two next year, plus 30 day extensions for each if needed, you can cover quite some time. You could also consider applying for a "classic" (sticker) tourist visa in a neighboring country to buy you some more time without using up your visa exempt entries.

Not worth the risk to try to bounce with an eVisa, in my opinion. 

Edited by Caldera

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

Your land border visa exempt limit will reset in January and you currently get 45 days, so with one more remaining this year and two next year, plus 30 day extensions for each I needed, you can cover quite some time. ...

This is very interesting. I thought it was a rolling 12 month period not calendar year.

RE: a 'classic' visa sticker... I'm in Chiang Mai so a border bounce is just a bus ride away. Going to an embassy for a visa is not really something I'd want to do. If I have to get on a plane I'd do a week in Bali and return to Thailand exempt and get 45 days. My understanding is border crossings have a 2 exempt limit where international air have no limit. Going to an embassy for 15 days extra just doesn't seem worth it.

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Some people have successfully done it. However, officially, it is not allowed.

Do you have any source for this? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I did research this a while ago and could not find a clear answer.

I did not try to fake anything when i applied for the e-visa. I used my Thai address as place of permanent residence. Did not pretend to be in the application country by changing IP etc.

I know at some point in the process you have to prove a local address. But I thought that's only if you are not a national of the country you apply in? Or to direct you to the correct consulate if you happen to apply in a country that has more than one Thai consulate/embassy?

3 hours ago, night_rider said:

I appreciate the replies. @MajorTom I also appreciate the confirmation.

The policy of governments does not always follow logic but I could not imagine why it would not work. Many people apply for visa in advance for multi nation trips and cross borders by land, sea and air. 

The advantage for me is a bit of additional time, not using an exempt entry and less likely an IO will decline an issued visa. The advantage for the government is I am better vetted for entry into the country. There is a bit of additional cost but that's just peace of mind if it works as hoped.

The only flaw in your logic is that (i) there is a declared rule that you can only apply for a visa at a US consulate while in the US; and (ii) people who have actually asked the embassy whether the e-visa system supersedes that rule have been told it does not, and applying for the visa when not in country is an invalid application.

I appreciate why you would like to do this, and it may well work. I can foresee, for as long as it is seen as viable, it becoming a routine way of trying to circumvent the limitation of two cheap land in/outs per calendar year. I believe there will sooner or later be a crackdown.

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

people who have actually asked the embassy whether the e-visa system supersedes that rule have been told it does not, and applying for the visa when not in country is an invalid application.

Something i have learned over the years: Don't lie or cheat. But never ask more questions or give more information than absolutely necessary. This can save you a lot of hassle.

Asking an embassy clerk if either: Is it possible to do this in a smooth easy way? or would you like it to make it as difficult as possible?.. Its pretty obvious what answer you will get. That's like asking my dog if he wants snacks or not ????

4 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Do you have any source for this? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I did research this a while ago and could not find a clear answer.

I did not try to fake anything when i applied for the e-visa. I used my Thai address as place of permanent residence. Did not pretend to be in the application country by changing IP etc.

I know at some point in the process you have to prove a local address. But I thought that's only if you are not a national of the country you apply in? Or to direct you to the correct consulate if you happen to apply in a country that has more than one Thai consulate/embassy?

For what its worth, here is my interaction with London Thai Embassy:

Me: 

Hi,

I want to enter Thailand on a Visa exempt, then leave Thailand after 20 days to visit Vietnam for 30 days. Can I apply for an eVisa while in Vietnam to re-enter Thailand?

Thanks

Thai Embassy Reply:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email.

We are unable to proceed with your application if you are not currently in the UK or Ireland when applying for a visa with us.

Warmest regards,

The Visa Team

25 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Something i have learned over the years: Don't lie or cheat. But never ask more questions or give more information than absolutely necessary. This can save you a lot of hassle.

Asking an embassy clerk if either: Is it possible to do this in a smooth easy way? or would you like it to make it as difficult as possible?.. Its pretty obvious what answer you will get. That's like asking my dog if he wants snacks or not ????

Your point is valid. Certainly, if you plan to go ahead, it is folly to ask questions first. That removes any plausible claim you might make that you did not know the rules. That said, ignorance of the rules is not an excuse for a fraudulent application. "Fraudulent" is a strong word, but does apply if you are knowingly making an application that violates the rules. I do subscribe to the view that rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. By all means go ahead, but be aware of the risks.

• Like 1

If when you enter Thailand Visa exempt and if this information was then available to the Embassy and also considered at the time of application for the eVisa - Then theoretically this would show that you are already in Thailand. Whether this occurs is unclear, but this is unlikely to be automatically available as a computer check and if done at all will be a manual process and probably isn't something that will happen  due to the extra work for catching the few instances where it is occurring.

Obviously applying for the eVisa while still in your home country and then entering Visa exempt would be possible - Yes immigration will have the eVisa information accessible, but when I entered Visa exempt the officer asked me for my eVisa paperwork assuming I was entering this way. I think they must use the printout bar code of the eVisa to access its details showing that it belongs to the passport holder, rather than using the passport information to access details of the eVisa to provide the match.

5 hours ago, MajorTom said:

You have to be clear on what people are saying.

You are quite entitled to apply for an E-visa in a country that is not your own, but you need to have good reason. A Brit working in France is quite entitled to apply to the London Embassy for an E-visa to enter Thailand. 

What you are not supposed to do is apply for a visa to enter Thailand whilst in Thailand.

12 . Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to
upload document that can verify his/her current residency.

There is no dispute that a visa could be obtained while in Thailand, but there is that risk on entry that an observant IO could spot that the visa was issued before you left Thailand, particularly if you entered Thailand by a land border with a visa just issued in another country.

At the moment there are only 2 Asian countries on the E-visa platform, China and South Korea.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Some people have successfully done it. However, officially, it is not allowed. The consular officials would be able to check if they have time, and are suspicious. I believe it is only a matter of time before they are very aware of some trying it, and begin to look for it. If you are found out, it may just mean a denied visa, or it could be more serious.

When applying for an E-visa you must sign a declaration containing this statement.

"I have read and understood the question in this application and ensure that my answers and all supporting documents are true and correct. Any false or misleading information maybe result in the permanent visa refusal or the denial of entry into the Kingdom of Thailand."