Couple in their70s now rationing cups of tea !

My family is staying very silent on this topic. I suspect the wall will break at some point. Doesn't seem like either of the mainstream parties has a real answer. It's all down to energy costs, I suppose. Why Britain, with its rich reserves of energy should be affected is beyond me.

7 minutes ago, nausea said:

My family is staying very silent on this topic. I suspect the wall will break at some point. Doesn't seem like either of the mainstream parties has a real answer. It's all down to energy costs, I suppose. Why Britain, with its rich reserves of energy should be affected is beyond me.

International Energy companies supply gas and electric and they set their prices on the current World prices and much of the gas comes from Russia  , its not like the UK Government supplies the gas and electric , its private companies that do that 

27 minutes ago, nausea said:

Why Britain, with its rich reserves of energy should be affected is beyond me.

Ever heard the phrases "Rip off Britain" or "Treasure Island"? Can't see the Thais allowing energy costs to spiral when they have plenty of gas in the Gulf of Thailand. Many in the UK were sold a lie of 100% green energy so they signed up to these energy contracts only to find that their costs increased by same amount - despite wind and solar not going up in price! Britain is a sorry place right now, no wonder so many of us would rather be in Thailand.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Britain is a sorry place right now, no wonder so many of us would rather be in Thailand.

There are plenty of them with enough dosh to go to Qatar for three weeks............oh yeh, turn the heating off at home, end up with frozen, burst pipes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Firstly it’s not happening to pensioners, its a report on 1 single couple of pensioners. Delivered to us by Tic Tok from the hash tag ‘Tories out’

So more to the point, what’s happening with journalism and reporting in the UK. (World for that matter).

16 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although the cost of living crisis is because of Covid and Ukraine and nothing to do with Brexit .

Still flogging this dead horse.

Simply repeating information in a different thread doesn't make that information any less incorrect.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The high electricity and gas prices are a direct result of the sanctions on Russia , nothing to do with any other politics 

Gas yes, along with covid, however electric also has other issues that didn't help. The fire at a National Grid site in Kent which imports electricity from Europe will take another 2 years to fix.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Gas yes, along with covid, however electric also has other issues that didn't help. The fire at a National Grid site in Kent which imports electricity from Europe will take another 2 years to fix.

That is the first that I have heard about that , the fire at the National grid site

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is the first that I have heard about that , the fire at the National grid site

Me too but I just saw it on Google

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/15/kent-burnt-out-electricity-cable-will-take-two-more-years-to-get-back-to-full-service

Fire at a National Grid site in Kent - This knocked out a power cable that runs between England and France and is used to import electricity from the continent. This isn’t expected to be fully back up and running until 2023. 

https://bionic.co.uk/blog/noticed-energy-prices-have-fallen-over-past-few-months/

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The high electricity and gas prices are a direct result of the sanctions on Russia , nothing to do with any other politics 

That may be true, but that is not what you claimed in your original post (see below). The 'Cost of living' is generally accepted to include food, and some foodstuffs have increased in price as a result of Brexit.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:15 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although the cost of living crisis is because of Covid and Ukraine and nothing to do with Brexit .

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Project fear ?

Pets starving to death ?

*Join the E.U and save our pets from starvation * ????

I was thinking more along the lines of 'Rejoin the EU and help prevent Brits  from eating their pets'????????

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

I was thinking more along the lines of 'Rejoin the EU and help prevent Brits  from eating their pets'????????

I was going to make a joke about feeding Asylum seekers to the pets , but I was concerned that people wouldn't see the funny side to it, and so decided against it 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RayC said:

That may be true, but that is not what you claimed in your original post (see below). The 'Cost of living' is generally accepted to include food, and some foodstuffs have increased in price as a result of Brexit.

I did say the "cost of living crisis" , yes Brexit would have had an effect on the UK cost of living and it my have caused prices to rise , but I did mean the cost of living crisis that was caused by Covid and Ukraine .

If it wasnt for Covid and Ukraine , there wouldnt be a crisis, although there may have been some small price rises 

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was going to make a joke about feeding Asylum seekers to the pets , but I was concerned that people wouldn't see the funny side to it, and so decided against it 

Good job you decided against it????????

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I did say the "cost of living crisis" , yes Brexit would have had an effect on the UK cost of living and it my have caused prices to rise , but I did mean the cost of living crisis that was caused by Covid and Ukraine .

If it wasnt for Covid and Ukraine , there wouldnt be a crisis, although there may have been some small price rises 

When does an increase in the cost of living become a crisis? 

Depending on the source, commentators have estimated that Brexit contributes upwards of 2.9% to the inflation figure.