Thailand going cashless. Are you for or against it?

bob smith

Thailand going cashless.  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh taking other people's money is just so inconvenient, so let's get rid of money, let the buyer take the risk of it going wrong, and make lots more profit.

No one is considering getting rid of money , there is just an easier way of using money that using cash . 

On 11/30/2022 at 8:56 PM, hotandsticky said:

....and the costs for handling cash are.......?

The cost of cash is inflation, but that is just an an annual cost, not a per transaction cost.

No-one ever says it out loud, but inflation is a tax on everyone,  that nobody has to vote on. Within reason and as long as there is financial stability, politicians love inflation. 

48 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The cost of cash is inflation, but that is just an an annual cost, not a per transaction cost.

No-one ever says it out loud, but inflation is a tax on everyone,  that nobody has to vote on. Within reason and as long as there is financial stability, politicians love inflation. 

Inflation affects the money in your bank account or your ewallet same as it affects the cash under your mattress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

That said, I'm against it - as other's have said, I don't want records of my entire financial life to be available to all and sundry - I'm sick of being a constant marketing target already. A person also has the right to privacy.

In what way do you get targeted and by whom ?

Just asking because I haven't been targeted by anyone 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:
47 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

That said, I'm against it - as other's have said, I don't want records of my entire financial life to be available to all and sundry - I'm sick of being a constant marketing target already. A person also has the right to privacy.

Who out of ‘all and sundry’ is going to be able to get hold of his financial records.... 

I can imagine those who make such statements thinking.... “There is no way I want Bob to get my financial records, he will target me to buy those windows he sells, he’ll never leave me alone knowing I bought windows 10 years ago” !!!!! ????

Or... he’s worried that just like 'Peter the perv'....  who purchased a five-knuckle-shuffle device from knockoneout.com and they have pestered him ever since.... He can’t open his e-mails in-front of his Wife !!!  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who out of ‘all and sundry’ is going to be able to get hold of his financial records.... 

I can imagine those who make such statements thinking.... “There is no way I want Bob to get my financial records, he will target me to buy those windows he sells, he’ll never leave me alone knowing I bought windows 10 years ago” !!!!! ????

Or... he’s worried that just like 'Peter the perv'....  who purchased a five-knuckle-shuffle device from knockoneout.com and they have pestered him ever since.... He can’t open his e-mails in-front of his Wife !!!  ????

Everybody right to privacy. If you don't know how your data is used - I suggest you find out.

43 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are targeted every day.  What you read on this forum will form part of the data that is collected. Some of the very companies that harvest your data have recently been the subject of hacking.  Hundreds of thousands of Facebook users had all their details posted online by hackers recently.

Why should the fact that I visited Starbucks recently be anyone else's business?

Yesterday I bought a pair of boots online - as I type this I'm seeing an advert containing 'Stylish Leather Boots' on the right of my screen....................do you not know how this works?

Edited by KhaoYai

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or... he’s worried that just like 'Peter the perv'....  who purchased a five-knuckle-shuffle device from knockoneout.com and they have pestered him ever since.... He can’t open his e-mails in-front of his Wife !!!

Don't be so bloody riduculous.

And by the way, I don't have a wife.

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Why should the fact that I visited Starbucks recently be anyone else's business?

Yesterday I bought a pair of boots online - as I type this I'm seeing an advert containing 'Stylish Leather Boots' on the right of my screen....................do you not know how this works?

Of course we know how this works....   but is it really such a significant impact on your life to face targeted adds you can ignore if you want ?

You are bothered about it because you want to be bothered about it. 

Everything around us is marketing and we face it all the time, but ultimately, If you don’t want to buy something don’t buy it.

Other than seeing adds you don’t like because you feel invited that the artificial intelligence of marketing algorithms knows something about you and you don’t like it...  

What is really harmful about any of this to you ???

The only things I can imagine would be harmful is ’targeted pricing’... i.e. when looking to buy a plane ticket etc - its more expensive because ’the system’ knows we want to fly from xxx to xxx in that month every year....  Of course, were not at that stage and not sure we will get to that stage.

So I wonder if all this paranoia is not just getting worried about something for no logical reason, we just don’t like it and thus look for justification. 

Personally, if I have to face adds at all, I'd rather have targeted adds than random rubbish I’m not interested in..... Fortunately, we’re not quite there yet as I’m not getting a load of Ads for ’things 16 year old girls like’ after searching for an ideal Christmas present for my niece !!!

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:
40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or... he’s worried that just like 'Peter the perv'....  who purchased a five-knuckle-shuffle device from knockoneout.com and they have pestered him ever since.... He can’t open his e-mails in-front of his Wife !!!

Don't be so bloody riduculous.

And by the way, I don't have a wife.

relax... that comment wasn’t targeted at you....  just a generalisation, with a little humour, about how some may be paranoid about ‘targeted advertisement’.... 

11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You mean you bought some boots online and now the AI thinks you should upgrade to some stylish ones ????  ????

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is depressing.  Ne’er mind, there is peace and tranquility in wanting for ought, and it is often said that the poorest people are the happiest - though rarely by the poorest people, and you will rarely see the affluent actively pursue that goal.   But to be someone upon whom the advertisers have given up - that must surely be a relief.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I heard brilliant economist in the late 90's saying that what we needed was a little bit of inflation (the economy was flat at the time).

But, he said, a little bit of inflation is like getting a little bit pregnant - before you know it, it has run away from you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So I wonder if all this paranoia is not just getting worried about something for no logical reason, we just don’t like it and thus look for justification. 

The point is, marketing data has been misused and will continue to do so. Those holding such data are also regularly hacked. Now we are talking about the harvesting of finacial data and the likelihood is that that will also be misused, hacked, whatever.

I believe I have a right to privacy but when you buy or receive anything electronically - what are your rights? In the West there is regulation but there is still abuse........ imagine Asia? Account and PIN numbers hacked wholesale?

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

That is depressing.  Ne’er mind, there is peace and tranquility in wanting for ought, and it is often said that the poorest people are the happiest - though rarely by the poorest people, and you will rarely see the affluent actively pursue that goal.   But to be someone upon whom the advertisers have given up - that must surely be a relief.

What advertising are you subjected to ?

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Never had an ad pop up on a forum after you had just discussed the subject? I was on a forum and was discussing travel to a certain country, then an ad for visiting that country popped up on my screen.

The only way not to be targeted is to not give them enough info to make a profile.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never had an ad pop up on a forum after you had just discussed the subject? I was on a forum and was discussing travel to a certain country, then an ad for visiting that country popped up on my screen.

The only way not to be targeted is to not give them enough info to make a profile.

But thats nothing to do with being cashless or being targeted through spending by card

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you not ask

"In what way do you get targeted and by whom ?

Just asking because I haven't been targeted by anyone".

You didn't specify what you were referring to.

The conversation is about being targeted by advertising companies when using cashless cards and my post was about that subject , rather than my post just being a general question 

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The point is, marketing data has been misused and will continue to do so. Those holding such data are also regularly hacked. Now we are talking about the harvesting of finacial data and the likelihood is that that will also be misused, hacked, whatever.

I believe I have a right to privacy but when you buy or receive anything electronically - what are your rights? In the West there is regulation but there is still abuse........ imagine Asia? Account and PIN numbers hacked wholesale?

You've had an account and PIN Numbers for decades, nothing new there - the same arguments were made about the risk of getting your card skimmed. 

I agree with the rights to privacy - but when we enter a public domain we give up some of those rights, i.e shopping on Amazon or any other online purchase - I don’t see that as a major issue. 

You have quite rightly pointed out the concern surrounding the harvesting of financial data, there is security in place - there is risk of that being hacked. But the ‘weak-link’ is humans who in a corrupt world can sell on our CC information etc - that has already been happening for years.

What is potentially far more concerning than any of the above is identity theft... 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You've had an account and PIN Numbers for decades, nothing new there - the same arguments were made about the risk of getting your card skimmed. 

I agree with the rights to privacy - but when we enter a public domain we give up some of those rights, i.e shopping on Amazon or any other online purchase - I don’t see that as a major issue. 

You have quite rightly pointed out the concern surrounding the harvesting of financial data, there is security in place - there is risk of that being hacked. But the ‘weak-link’ is humans who in a corrupt world can sell on our CC information etc - that has already been happening for years.

What is potentially far more concerning than any of the above is identity theft... 

What you say is correct as far as it goes. I doubt many have a problem with the present system, but the problem is eliminating entirely the ability to exist outside the hacker's domain.

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A minority seem to know how to use a cashless system, but the number of times I am in a line that has ground to a halt over someone trying to get their payment app to work is voluminous. It is especially annoying when dealing with a 45 baht cup of coffee. Just man up and carry some cash!

Giving people the option of going cashless is one thing. Demanding it is another. I love cash. Cash is king! 

They need to make the apps easier to use and make them more reliable 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2022 at 4:19 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Which I have been a victim of and is one of the main reasons I'm against data harvesting of any kind. Its just too vulnerable and criminals will always find a way to access it. Best that its not recorded in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1