Thailand going cashless. Are you for or against it?

bob smith

Thailand going cashless.  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Good for you Lacessit.

But if you only have an ounce and you want to buy a toothbrush; there is then a dilemma. I like silver. Can get a big lump of it for next to nothing. But the same situation arises if you want a small item and you only want shoes, how do you proceed? Take a saw with you; and a set of scales.

I'm now thinking that a chain might be the way to go. Simply cut a link off, with a pair of nips, when you want to buy something at the market.

I don't own a smart-phone. Mine does simple texts and calls. Don't understand the big flat ones.

IMO the silver price is well out of kilter with the gold price, which is why I keep adding to my holding when I can. I am anticipating a considerable increase over the next 1-2 years.

I have a dumbphone and a smartphone. I use the former as you do, for texts and calls.

I use the smartphone for taking photos and videos, reading books, and playing music via Bluetooth to earbuds. I also use it for talking visually with my family via LINE and DUO. It has an Australian SIM card for the occasions I am in Australia. It also serves as a diary of appointments, and a calculator.

I do not use it as a payment device, for security reasons. Cash and a debit card is all I want or need.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO the silver price is well out of kilter with the gold price, which is why I keep adding to my holding when I can. I am anticipating a considerable increase over the next 1-2 years.

I have a dumbphone and a smartphone. I use the former as you do, for texts and calls.

I use the smartphone for taking photos and videos, reading books, and playing music via Bluetooth to earbuds. I also use it for talking visually with my family via LINE and DUO. It has an Australian SIM card for the occasions I am in Australia. It also serves as a diary of appointments, and a calculator.

I do not use it as a payment device, for security reasons. Cash and a debit card is all I want or need.

Sure, In Australia everybody pays/everybody accepts debit card. And very fast, 99% of vwndors have the machine and 99% of the card holders have the card which just needs a fleeting touch on the machine and all done (fully insert the card into the machine).

And (in Australia) many debit cards issued abroad are accepted but need to be fully inserted in the card reading machine because the cards are not programmed for 'touch and go'. No big deal. 

Along with that (in Australia) ATM machines are disappearing, not needed, very few customers withdrawing cash.  At the 2 big shopping centres near where I stayed in Australia for a while, it's getting more and more difficult to find an ATM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Bang on the money there Lacessit.

My phone gets a few laughs when I take it to the phone shop to put some dosh in.

496523986_oldtelehone00.png.db8ee112e332576fbdb38a88661e7cc2.png

PICT0016.thumb.JPG.11615046b003c5aa0cc99fbac17d26b9.JPG

And just like yourself, I have an old discarded flat-phone for pics and vids. Gives remarkably good pic quality, but only when it's really bright.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, In Australia everybody pays/everybody accepts debit card. And very fast, 99% of vwndors have the machine and 99% of the card holders have the card which just needs a fleeting touch on the machine and all done (fully insert the card into the machine).

And (in Australia) many debit cards issued abroad are accepted but need to be fully inserted in the card reading machine because the cards are not programmed for 'touch and go'. No big deal. 

Along with that (in Australia) ATM machines are disappearing, not needed, very few customers withdrawing cash.  At the 2 big shopping centres near where I stayed in Australia for a while, it's getting more and more difficult to find an ATM.

What about out in the boonies?

Isn't all this stuff dependent upon there being electricity? What if there is no wifi or www. Satellite phones?

'The times they are a'changing'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How come you are familiar with Nazi leaders  words and why do you quote Nazis .

Do you think that all World Governments have similar intentions to the Nazis ?

Sure he don't need to say Himmler, Jean-Claude Juncker, said the same

14 hours ago, 300sd said:

Perfect. Himmler put it a different way:

They know you NEVER reveal the entire plan, for people will revolt. Lead them down the path ever so gradually, and you will transform the nation into whatever you desire.

You don't need to mention Himmler, Jean-Claude Juncker said the same, and that is not so long ago.

34 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And the downside see screenshot

Screenshot_20221126_104651_Chrome.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

What about out in the boonies?

Isn't all this stuff dependent upon there being electricity? What if there is no wifi or www. Satellite phones?

'The times they are a'changing'.

Out in the Boonies you don't need 'lectric, you are probably still bartering and exchanging pebbles for field rats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Out in the Boonies you don't need 'lectric, you are probably still bartering and exchanging pebbles for field rats.

A word that has almost been forgotten.

'Bartering.' Back to the future.

• Like 2

When I lived back in my home country I hadn't used cash for decades, so it was quite annoying and a step backward when I relocated to Thailand seven years ago and had to start carrying cash again. Fortunately, during the last couple of years things have improved here, so now I can again manage without cash; I do hope that it will stay that way.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

In Australia, I would use paywave aka touch and go almost 100% in the 'burbs. Somewhere like Nymagee or Cobar, I might need cash, but most businesses even there will be equipped for debit cards.

The cashless trend in Thailand seems to favor phones over a touch and go system, which I daresay is much easier to use. However, as long as day markets still exist in Thailand in the rural areas, IMO there will always be cash.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Yup, a fingerprint, facial image or a voice print will do the aged, impoverished or diabled persons perfectly, never mind the fact they may not be able to get out of bed.

You appear to be experiencing delusional thought processes about the use of technology.????????

You think bedridden people go to the shops?

18 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Bedridden likely means disabled which suits your narrative.????????

We're still in the Pub here don't let't not take it too seriously. I think a cashless future is likely  it will take a long time to catch on. For sure in 15-20 years people  won't  be bent over looking at a mobile. ( I actually have neck damage from it Doctor says very common.) There will be a more integrated technology perhaps some kind of visor glasses or contact lenses one  interacts with the environment via.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nrasmussen said:

When I lived back in my home country I hadn't used cash for decades, so it was quite annoying and a step backward when I relocated to Thailand seven years ago and had to start carrying cash again. Fortunately, during the last couple of years things have improved here, so now I can again manage without cash; I do hope that it will stay that way.

Keep up.

Guessing you are in Bkk or a city, not a village.???????? 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In Australia, I would use paywave aka touch and go almost 100% in the 'burbs. Somewhere like Nymagee or Cobar, I might need cash, but most businesses even there will be equipped for debit cards.

The cashless trend in Thailand seems to favor phones over a touch and go system, which I daresay is much easier to use. However, as long as day markets still exist in Thailand in the rural areas, IMO there will always be cash.

Agree.

On 11/25/2022 at 8:34 AM, kokesaat said:

What a bunch of boomers!  When we moved to Thailand back in 1996, the vast mqjority of Thais conducted their banking business inside the bank....including the village grandmas who were withdrawing a few hundred baht from their accounts.  Needless to say, banks were elbow to elbow with customers.  A year or two or three after we arrived, the banks started issuing ATM cards to all its customers and invoked some rule that you could only use counter service for larger transactions. IOW, get with the program, grandma.

Most of the whiners here, I suspect, would be the ones still using checkbooks at the cashier if they were in their home country.  

Time to get with the times!

ATMs were here long before the end of the 90's.i can't remember when the cash deposit machines came about though. And I never heard of any rules by any bank that counter services are only for big accounts. Many times in the past (after 1996) when I saw that the queue for the ATM was longer than the one inside the back I just went into the bank to get my transaction done.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

Yes, I havent physically touched or even seen ant cash for the whole of  this year .

I don't live in a cashless country though, I just haven't got any cash .

Times are hard 

• Love It 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:50 AM, Real Name Hidden said:

Means waiting in line longer for these transactions to clear

I make cashless payments all the time when I'm shopping (usually with True Money Wallet). I open the TMW app and have it ready and waiting before the checkout clerk has even finished totalling up the items. Once they scan the app screen, it normally takes around 2 seconds to confirm payment.

In my experience it's much quicker than using cash - and there's no waiting for change, either.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I make cashless payments all the time when I'm shopping (usually with True Money Wallet). I open the TMW app and have it ready and waiting before the checkout clerk has even finished totalling up the items. Once they scan the app screen, it normally takes around 2 seconds to confirm payment.

It's much quicker than using cash - and there's no waiting for change, either.

Yeah, but one has to be prepared! (I use it too)

Standing in line while someone fails to get the app to work or has some other issue does indeed grate.

In Tesco Lotus's today my phone was sitting waiting on the TrueMoney payment screen before the girlie (in full Christmas gear complete with flashing antlers) had finished scanning. Done and gone in seconds.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, but one has to be prepared! (I use it too)

Standing in line while someone fails to get the app to work or has some other issue does indeed grate.

In Tesco Lotus's today my phone was sitting waiting on the TrueMoney payment screen before the girlie (in full Christmas gear complete with flashing antlers) had finished scanning. Done and gone in seconds.

Agreed. A "girlie" in full Christmas gear complete with flashing antlers would likely have me done and gone in seconds.

Preferably not in Lotus's though.????????