Thailand going cashless. Are you for or against it?

bob smith

Thailand going cashless.  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

I read this today:

Why should we pay cash everywhere with banknotes instead of a card?

- If I have a $50 banknote in my pocket, go to a restaurant and pay for dinner with it. Then the restaurant owner uses the same bill to pay for the laundry. The laundry owner then uses the bill to pay the barber. The barber then uses the bill for shopping and so on. After an unlimited number of payments, it will still remain a $50 note! It has fulfilled its purpose for everyone who used it for payment. The bank ran dry from every cash payment made with this $50 note.

- But if I go to the same restaurant and pay digitally (by card), the bank fee for my payment transaction is 3%, around $1.50. Then another $1.50 for the laundry owner and the barber and so on. After 30 transactions, the initial $50 will only be $5. The remaining $45 becomes the property of the bank...thanks to digital transactions and fees.

Well said, but the indoctrinated sheeple will willingly submit to big banking because "it's more convenient" than cash.

I often see old people using cards in supermarket and not shielding the pin number when they use it. Just asking for muggers to steal their cards.

Anyway, now that pay wave removes the need to even use a pin just steal the card and go shopping.

5 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

I read this today:

- If I have a $50 banknote in my pocket, go to a restaurant and pay for dinner with it. Then the restaurant owner uses the same bill to pay for the laundry. The laundry owner then uses the bill to pay the barber. The barber then uses the bill for shopping and so on. After an unlimited number of payments, it will still remain a $50 note! It has fulfilled its purpose for everyone who used it for payment. The bank ran dry from every cash payment made with this $50 note.

- But if I go to the same restaurant and pay digitally (by card), the bank fee for my payment transaction is 3%, around $1.50. Then another $1.50 for the laundry owner and the barber and so on. After 30 transactions, the initial $50 will only be $5. The remaining $45 becomes the property of the bank...thanks to digital transactions and fees.

But you don't pay any money to use the card .

So After 30 transactions, the initial $50 will still  be $50

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough, but after we all go cashless and can't go back what is to stop banks imposing a transaction fee? Even a few cents for each would result in massive profits for the banks. With that much money to be extorted, I fear it's inevitable.

Worry about that if and when it happens 

The real question is not whether or not we should use cash or cashless methods of payment for what we want. 

Instead, the better question is why we need to pay anything, at all! 

We now have entered a brave new world of superexpontial growth. 

This means that almost everything, other than Bentley automobiles, should be free to everyone who is a member of the human race. 

Anyone who is human should be able to walk into any store and then walk out with whatever they need. 

Such a concept is not much different from what is already happening, today. 

Many among us use credit cards to charge what we want, even without any expectation that we will be held accountable for our credit card debt. 

All we need do is to set up a suitable well-functioning system of distribution. 

Just imagine what such a wonderful world it might be if everything in stores was free. 

In other words, just think of a world designed by the reincarnation of the late, great Buckminster Fuller!!! 

Some might argue that if everything was free then nobody would work. However, this fallacy is a myth perpetrated by the Republicans. 

We now live in a world of superabundance and superexponential growth. 

Why? 

The answer is... ENERGY. Very soon, energy will be almost free.

70 years ago, in San Francisco, Bucky had a great vision of what life could be like in our age. 

Everybody would just walk into stores without cash, fill their shopping carts to overflowing with almost anything, for free, and put an end to economic cycles of boom and bust. 

Bucky had this idea of what he called ephemeralization. 

But I just wonder how many on Thaivisa forum have been reading Buckminster Fuller, recently...? 

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But you don't pay any money to use the card .

So After 30 transactions, the initial $50 will still  be $50

Actually you do - indirectly or directly (higher price for use of cards still happens).  But even if no increase seller sets a higher price for everyone to cover bank costs (and in many places to cover the extra tax burden the bank records prove).  So all lose except the banks/government (the rich get richer).  In an ideal world the government will use for everyone - but often that is not the case.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually you do - indirectly or directly (higher price for use of cards still happens).  But even if no increase seller sets a higher price for everyone to cover bank costs (and in many places to cover the extra tax burden the bank records prove).  So all lose except the banks/government (the rich get richer).  In an ideal world the government will use for everyone - but often that is not the case.

Banks pass on all their costs, simple as that.

The higher costs of handling/processing cash are simply spread amongst other customers (usually the retailer paying in the cash).

The retailer then spreads his costs across all customer with his pricing policy.

Edited by hotandsticky

12 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

I read this today:

I think this is the best explanation from the whole topic, again it's the banks that get richer.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:55 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

I agree. Will you also need to have the bargirls carry a credit card swiping machine if they spend the night?

Going cashless isn't about using credit cards (or at least, not primarily). There are plenty of other ways to make cashless payments without using cards.

For instance, if you set up PromptPay, all you have to do is give someone your phone number and they can pay you. Also, with most (if not all) banking apps, you have a "QR to receive" code available on your phone. If you display that code to someone else who has a banking app, they can make a payment to you.

Then there are digital payment apps like True Money Wallet, Rabbit Line Pay, Alipay, Google Pay (which just became available in Thailand) etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 8:03 AM, Lucky Bones said:

Blessing in disguise?????????

I am still in Facebook jail after a month as somebody hijacked my account. Facebook assured me that it is usually sorted out in 24 hours. It is now a month and how can you contact Facebook? Through your Facebook account, which is of course suspended.

52 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am still in Facebook jail after a month as somebody hijacked my account. Facebook assured me that it is usually sorted out in 24 hours. It is now a month and how can you contact Facebook? Through your Facebook account, which is of course suspended.

I have never been on Facebook. If Mark Zuckerberg wants my data to sell to others, he can pay me for it first.

I simply don't understand why people are obsessed with the social platform. I suppose they could say I don't know what I am missing; however, I don't seem to feel any aching void that needs filling.

I am damn sure nobody I know or don't know wants a photo of my last breakfast, or when I had my last dump.

Same with Twitter, from the incoherent tweets I observe being quoted, I fear participation would automatically drag my IQ down 42 points.

• Like 1

Banks do make money out of this. But people aren't obliged to use the service. They want to. I want to. It makes live simpler and more fun. Don't overthink it. Cash is not needed in most cases in modern society. Privacy is a separate issue but it is normal and fair that someone makes a profit from providing a service beneficial to customer and normally to the business too. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have never been on Facebook. If Mark Zuckerberg wants my data to sell to others, he can pay me for it first.

I simply don't understand why people are obsessed with the social platform. I suppose they could say I don't know what I am missing; however, I don't seem to feel any aching void that needs filling.

I am damn sure nobody I know or don't know wants a photo of my last breakfast, or when I had my last dump.

Same with Twitter, from the incoherent tweets I observe being quoted, I fear participation would automatically drag my IQ down 42 points.

I used to use it mainly to keep up with the area where I was born, an excellent forum on old British cars, a forum on steam locomotives, one on steam traction engines, another on where I used to be stationed during my time in the RAF and a local forum where I live in Thailand.

The area where I was born had some great photos of local interest, especially to me.

18 minutes ago, garrya said:

This is what's happening in China. People are forced to take daily tests, and if you test positive or are a no show, your app turns to yellow and you can't go anywhere, can't buy anything, can't enter any place etc. I bet cashless is enjoyed by those Chinese. 

Bloody conspiracy theorists. 

Absolutely nothing to do with Thai businesses choosing to use cashless payment.

You really are reaching now.

Conspiracy theory hyperbolic BS to link chinas covid protests with businesses making choices on payment.

Get a grip

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Absolutely nothing to do with Thai businesses choosing to use cashless payment.

You really are reaching now.

Conspiracy theory hyperbolic BS to link chinas covid protests with businesses making choices on payment.

Get a grip

Cashless society isn't what business needs. Businesses can thrive on any payments. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, garrya said:

Cashless society isn't what business needs. Businesses can thrive on any payments. 

And instead of digital cr.p, local businesses should be promoted and helped where locals support each other and won't need to rely on state and corporation controlled payments. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:47 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Unless you have something to hide I don't see the problem 

I dated a woman here who ran a thriving sports shoe business on Facebook. She made the mistake of making an anti government statement and had her page shut down. What would happen with a "cbdc" coupled to a social policy. The aim for the new currencies is to be borderless. What ever that means in practise. 

• Like 2