Lloyds Bank UK Debit Card Transfer Payment to Wise A/c

I'm having problems with my Lloyds Bank UK internet banking so was going to do my regular transfer to my Wise A/c using my Lloyds Debit Card. Does anyone know whether Lloyds charges at their end by this method ?  Can't find anything on Lloyds fee list.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

My educated guess is banks wouldn't charge for this otherwise no one would do it, they do charge for credit card transfers 

Fair point, my own thinking is it's a UK bank to UK bank payment/transfer not involving foreign currency, the foreign currency element being done by Wise and their Sterling to Baht internal method, so it shouldn't attract a fee. 

It should go from Lloyd to Wise via the Faster Payments system and take a couple of minutes, free of charge.

Did you try a transfer to Wise on the Lloyds banking website, ignoring your Debit Card? Or give your Debit Card number to Wise and let them draw the money.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It should go from Lloyd to Wise via the Faster Payments system and take a couple of minutes, free of charge.

Did you try a transfer to Wise on the Lloyds banking website, ignoring your Debit Card? Or give your Debit Card number to Wise and let them draw the money.

The problem is I'm locked out of my internet banking and there is a technical problem that isn't allowing me to change my password, it's with Lloyds techies but I don't want to keep incurring phone charges trying to resolve it. I could barely understand the English of the 2 people I spoke to last night.

Doing the payment to Wise using my Debit Card is what I can still do, I'm just wondering if Lloyds charge on that transfer.

I've done UK debit card transfers to Wise without incurring charges from my bank ( Natwest & Metro I believe ).

It's just a debit card payment from one account to another so you shouldn't be charged anything.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Pmbkk said:

I've done UK debit card transfers to Wise without incurring charges from my bank ( Natwest & Metro I believe ).

It's just a debit card payment from one account to another so you shouldn't be charged anything.

Thanks, the more I think about it the more that makes sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, kinyara said:

I don't want to keep incurring phone charges trying to resolve it

There is no need to incur high charges to call phones in the UK (or elsewhere). I use Skype app on my phone - can be used on PC too - and calls to the UK are either free or very low cost - 2.1 pence to landlines. 0345 numbers are charged same as landline. They have unlimited subscriptions for regular users.

image.png.c56623fd799ae2b77f8b86a3dae7ccb6.png

image.png.5132e175f3b87efb21ee924f695ddb57.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kinyara said:

The problem is I'm locked out of my internet banking and there is a technical problem that isn't allowing me to change my password, it's with Lloyds techies but I don't want to keep incurring phone charges trying to resolve it. I could barely understand the English of the 2 people I spoke to last night.

Doing the payment to Wise using my Debit Card is what I can still do, I'm just wondering if Lloyds charge on that transfer.

I called Santander yesterday due to a Wise transfer issue, using Skype it's only 2p a minute so less painful

• Like 1

Thanks for those suggestions re Skype much appreciated, I ended up checking on Ais charges before 2nd call and was at 3 baht a minute using 00500 prefix so still higher than Skype. 

Unfortunately tried the debit card option and encountered the same problem as last night with Lloyds, it redirected to Lloyds for authorisation with a 4 digit code that I'm supposed to enter when they phone me, as soon as I answer their call it cuts off before I get a chance to enter the code - transaction denied.

So even if I get access to my online banking if every transaction requires this extra authorisation code procedure it's going to fail.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with Lloyds ?

5 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Thanks for those suggestions re Skype much appreciated, I ended up checking on Ais charges before 2nd call and was at 3 baht a minute using 00500 prefix so still higher than Skype. 

Unfortunately tried the debit card option and encountered the same problem as last night with Lloyds, it redirected to Lloyds for authorisation with a 4 digit code that I'm supposed to enter when they phone me, as soon as I answer their call it cuts off before I get a chance to enter the code - transaction denied.

So even if I get access to my online banking if every transaction requires this extra authorisation code procedure it's going to fail.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with Lloyds ?

i just checked the AIS thing and it's 5/7 baht to UK

Screenshot_2022-11-25-09-24-16-101_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i just checked the AIS thing and it's 5/7 baht to UK

Screenshot_2022-11-25-09-24-16-101_com.android.chrome.jpg

You're correct, I realise I quoted the starting rate not UK specific. I'll go the recommended Skype route from now on as it looks like I'll have to do a telephone based transfer directly from Lloyds and suck up the higher transaction cost, I suppose at least I can get a direct comparison between Lloyds and Wise end result rather than taking Wise at face value. 

Thanks

I use Lloyds UK personal and business banking. The personal banking calls me to enter the code shown on the screen. Lloyds allows several options for phone numbers. While here in Thailand I use "Skype In" which gives me a UK number. Never had a problem. What number are they calling you on? A UK mobile or Thai mobile? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soi3eddie said:

I use Lloyds UK personal and business banking. The personal banking calls me to enter the code shown on the screen. Lloyds allows several options for phone numbers. While here in Thailand I use "Skype In" which gives me a UK number. Never had a problem. What number are they calling you on? A UK mobile or Thai mobile? 

I have the same but only use online banking not the app. I have both Thai and UK numbers on file as for some transactions they call and some they just send an SMS.

I was locked out when doing a higher than normal transaction the other week and had to call their fraud team. Was all sorted within 30 minutes or so.

35 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

My Thai mobile, which seems like the problem. Are you accessing the Lloyds website on a laptop entering the code on a laptop screen which I think is the way it works if UK based ? Sounds like doing it that way with the UK skype number is the solution.

43 minutes ago, kinyara said:

My Thai mobile, which seems like the problem. 

Are you using WiFi Calling on your Thai mobile? If so, suggest turn it off and try again.

Had a somewhat similar issue last year, and down to issues/compatability/setup of the various Internet platforms the call is taking from the Internet based phone system and your mobile phone.

My problem at the time was a compatability issue between Samsung S9 running V10 and July 2021 firmware and local EE  Heathrow Cell linking via EE network via TeleHouse East whilst calling the Hilton in Bangkok (IP phone system). Changed to earlier Samsung S6 on V7 no issue, same Samsung S9 in Victoria the next day; no issue. Tried again back at Heathrow later that same day; same hangup on answer issue. Had the techies at EE and Samsung UK scratching their heads for days. Would appear issue was down to the local EE cell and their routing of the call, but could have been anything in-between.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RayWright said:

Are you using WiFi Calling on your Thai mobile? If so, suggest turn it off and try again.

Had a somewhat similar issue last year, and down to issues/compatability/setup of the various Internet platforms the call is taking from the Internet based phone system and your mobile phone.

My problem at the time was a compatability issue between Samsung S9 running V10 and July 2021 firmware and local EE  Heathrow Cell linking via EE network via TeleHouse East whilst calling the Hilton in Bangkok (IP phone system). Changed to earlier Samsung S6 on V7 no issue, same Samsung S9 in Victoria the next day; no issue. Tried again back at Heathrow later that same day; same hangup on answer issue. Had the techies at EE and Samsung UK scratching their heads for days. Would appear issue was down to the local EE cell and their routing of the call, but could have been anything in-between.

No but funnily enough on the 2nd call to their techies they had me shut down the wifi reboot it and try and access my account with a different browser, which sounds a similar type scenario to what you're describing as a wi-fi compatibility issue. 

I'll get the Skype calling scenario set up like the suggestions above which at least gives my 2,000 minutes a month talking to them for cheap to try and get to the root of the problem, a Skype UK number on my account I suspect will be the easiest solution. 

Thanks for your information anyway, I was making transfers fine throughout COVID when I set Wise up and in October and the start of this month so I'm really not sure what has changed to cause a problem from Lloyds end.

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

No but funnily enough on the 2nd call to their techies they had me shut down the wifi reboot it and try and access my account with a different browser, which sounds a similar type scenario to what you're describing as a wi-fi compatibility issue. 

I'll get the Skype calling scenario set up like the suggestions above which at least gives my 2,000 minutes a month talking to them for cheap to try and get to the root of the problem, a Skype UK number on my account I suspect will be the easiest solution. 

Thanks for your information anyway, I was making transfers fine throughout COVID when I set Wise up and in October and the start of this month so I'm really not sure what has changed to cause a problem from Lloyds end.

With Skype you can just PAYG, credit £5 will be enough for a while. If you had a UK mobile number you can set that up on Skype so when you call banks etc that number shows up. I wouldn't bother with a monthly subscription 

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

With Skype you can just PAYG, credit £5 will be enough for a while. If you had a UK mobile number you can set that up on Skype so when you call banks etc that number shows up. I wouldn't bother with a monthly subscription 

Thanks, what is PAYG,  I guess I'll just buy the credit with my UK credit card ?  I don't have a UK mobile number unfortunately but if I'm understanding Soi3Eddie's suggestion I can request a Skype number to be a UK one, maybe I've got that wrong ?

Just now, kinyara said:

Thanks, what is PAYG,  I guess I'll just buy the credit with my UK credit card ?  I don't have a UK mobile number unfortunately but if I'm understanding Soi3Eddie's suggestion I can request a Skype number to be a UK one, maybe I've got that wrong ?

Pay as you go. I think you're right about the Skype number although I've not looked into it

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pay as you go. I think you're right about the Skype number although I've not looked into it

I think my issues may just be a similar type one to RayWright's experience/problem above, down to wifi/internet/mobile phone compatibility. I had a quick look at Skype and it seemed to suggest a country number is possible which would be ideal, still won't solve getting my account active again but I'm sure with a bit of time I'll get there. Annoying as it's been working so perfectly and conveniently up until now.

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

I think my issues may just be a similar type one to RayWright's experience/problem above, down to wifi/internet/mobile phone compatibility. I had a quick look at Skype and it seemed to suggest a country number is possible which would be ideal, still won't solve getting my account active again but I'm sure with a bit of time I'll get there. Annoying as it's been working so perfectly and conveniently up until now.

@BritManToo has a skype UK number, the other alternative is order a giffgaff sim from UK takes about a week to arrive then top up and use every 6 months

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

@BritManToo has a skype UK number, the other alternative is order a giffgaff sim from UK takes about a week to arrive then top up and use every 6 months

I have  permanent London number with Skype, costs $90/year makes it easy to call banks and government offices, $10 call time lasts ages.

I also have a GiffGaff SIM in one of my phones, great for OTA numbers from banks. SIM is free, 10 pounds call time lasts 3-4 years as you need to send SMS every 6 months to keep it active (SMS deducts 30p from your call credit)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have  permanent London number with Skype, costs $90/year makes it easy to call banks and government offices, $10 call time lasts ages.

I also have a GiffGaff SIM in one of my phones, great for OTA numbers from banks. SIM is free, 10 pounds call time lasts 3-4 years as you need to send SMS every 6 months to keep it active (SMS deducts 30p from your call credit)

Thanks for the information ????

Would recommend having a UK Skype number and if you can a UK mobile number.

Pay £2:40 a month for 100 minutes of UK landlines, 0345 and UK mobiles.

With increasing number of UK  companies adopting 2FA (2 Factor Authentication) when accessing their services / websites, a UK mobile number for SMS messages maintains the impression of a UK presence.

I use an EE PAYG setup and pay £5:00 every 3 months to ensure the number stays alive. Surposed to pay monthly, but as I'm not using the phone to make calls or send SMS messages; just ignore the reminder and Roaming messages they send me. No  issues so far.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Would recommend having a UK Skype number and if you can a UK mobile number.

Pay £2:40 a month for 100 minutes of UK landlines, 0345 and UK mobiles.

With increasing number of UK  companies adopting 2FA (2 Factor Authentication) when accessing their services / websites, a UK mobile number for SMS messages maintains the impression of a UK presence.

I use an EE PAYG setup and pay £5:00 every 3 months to ensure the number stays alive. Surposed to pay monthly, but as I'm not using the phone to make calls or send SMS messages; just ignore the reminder and Roaming messages they send me. No  issues so far.

I think you're right, I can see the value in it with this new level of security everyone is adding. Small price to pay to avoid the hassle.