Should I carry passport with me all the time?

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Maybe. Depending upon the mood of the officer. I carry my driving licence and pink ID with me whenever I'm away from my house and a copy of my passport and current extension is always in my truck. I carry my passport should I leave the province. Not a major inconvenience.

I'm not familiar with the PinK ID, what exactly is it? Cheers.

Just now, xkkpafi said:

I'm not familiar with the PinK ID, what exactly is it? Cheers.

It's an ID issued to foreigners. It's not mandatory but I was required to have one to renew my driving licence in Surin just last year. Prasat DLT only 30 km down the road (still in Surin Province) did not require one.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's an ID issued to foreigners. It's not mandatory but I was required to have one to renew my driving licence in Surin just last year. Prasat DLT only 30 km down the road (still in Surin Province) did not require one.

I actually renewed my licence in Prasat because I saw my <deleted> with the attitude of Surin DLT. However, the following day I obtained the pink ID.

[Edit: for <deleted> read "bottom"]

Edited by Yorkie

57 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Maybe. Depending upon the mood of the officer. I carry my driving licence and pink ID with me whenever I'm away from my house and a copy of my passport and current extension is always in my truck. I carry my passport should I leave the province. Not a major inconvenience.

Yorkie - you never venture past the char siew stall  - and she would never ask for it! ????

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yup, agreed...  Hotels don’t seem to care if its an ID (Pink - not sure about DL etc) or a Passport these days... perhaps that will change with another ‘crack-down’....

Over the past year at least I’ve got the impression anything with your name on it is good enough !

Several hotels have refused to accept pink cards  -  I expect because they don't understand the. I have never had a DL refused.

51 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I've travelled extensively in Europe, America, Africa and Asia for over 50 years and never lost a passport or had one stolen.

Oh well... you should have said so at the beginning of the thread... 

Yorkie have never lost his passport in 50 years of travel... clearly its something that doesn’t happen, so there’s no risk...... :whistling:

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Several hotels have refused to accept pink cards  -  I expect because they don't understand the. I have never had a DL refused.

Not for me... but mileage clearly varies...

Theoretically, a hotel outside of my province should not accept the Pink ID anyway... 

Whenever travelling the passport is locked away in the bag as back-up anyway.

The DL and / or Pink ID / And or Laminated Copy is enough to carry around when out and about... theres no need to risk carry a passport - I think thats the crux of it. 

But... the individual laws and understanding of the regulations and how they are interpreted and misinterpreted over time are interesting... as are the assumptions announcements and back-tracking that have gone on.

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

i thought ID cards were issued at 16?

Why on earth would a 7 year old need an ID card?

In 2011, the government led by Abhisit Vejjajiva proposed that the minimum age for identification card should be reduced from 15 to 7 years, in order to reduce the use of birth certificate and other evidences for children

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Such a silly thread.

Never take your pp outside unless you have business with immigration or travel or such things as TDL , banking etc.

Have a physical photocopy of id page and current permission of stay..

Also screenshot of those on your cell. 

That's it. 

I disagree that the thread is silly  -  what is silly is those people believing the myth that a passport should be carried at all times. To be fair to those people that advice comes from many sources - including UK.GOV (although I couldn't find it - even with a link from Thaizer.

https://www.thaizer.com/carrying-your-passport-in-thailand/

The debate may sound familiar - from 2013 Richard Barrow and 2014 Buriram Expats.

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/08/always-carry-your-passport-or-a-copy-while-in-thailand/

http://www.buriramexpats.com/forum/index.php?topic=7872.15

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I disagree that the thread is silly  -  what is silly is those people believing the myth that a passport should be carried at all times. To be fair to those people that advice comes from many sources - including UK.GOV

Leave the passport home/hotel when stying in one area, and when travelling you bring it with you, unless you have a pink card or driving license. The higher end hotels always ask for passport. However Most (not all) is ok with a picture file sent from phone if you claim you do not have it with you.

Not one time been asked for a passport in 20 years elsewhere by police or anyone else than check in at hotels.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Leave the passport home/hotel when stying in one area, and when travelling you bring it with you, unless you have a pink card or driving license. The higher end hotels always ask for passport. However Most (not all) is ok with a picture file sent from phone if you claim you do not have it with you.

Not one time been asked for a passport in 20 years elsewhere by police or anyone else than check in at hotels.

The Lebua Tower, Sheraton Grande and JW Marriott Khao Lak were happy with D/L ....................I don't do higher end than that.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The Lebua Tower, Sheraton Grande and JW Marriott Khao Lak were happy with D/L ....................I don't do higher end than that.

Always ask for ???? 

They did ask right? I useally bring my passport now, less hassel during check in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Yet we hear reports of tourists being arrested in Pattaya nightclubs for not having their passport, or at least a copy. So it does happen. 

On 11/25/2022 at 1:09 AM, KhunLA said:

I carry mine, almost always, except locally on my scooter, AND, if wife is in the house.  If she's out, then 'bag' goes with me, or just small wallet on the scooter.

Since my most important document, it's in my cross body bag, with; phone, DL, bank book, yellow book, billfold w/plastic, specs, blade.  All neat & tidy, with pocket for my 'wallet', which actually holds; DL, cash, important plastic.  Wallet goes with me on scooter.

And no, rarely, if ever asked for PP the past 20ish years.  It is the law though.

Wow, I cant believe you risk carrying everything with you. What if you get in accident and you're unconscious your bag goes missing. Then you have to replace everything.  

5 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Yet we hear reports of tourists being arrested in Pattaya nightclubs for not having their passport, or at least a copy. So it does happen. 

Do we ?

I read stories of people saying that they have heard stories about stories...................?

If you are stopped for some reason and cannot identify yourself then expect the police to detain you until you are able to do so - that does not necessarily involve a passport.

DO NOT give your passport to a 'normal' policeman; only immigration officials have the right to inspect your passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

really??  I dont recall seeing any reports that someone was in jail for not having a passport. 

I've seen news reports of expats being arrested for having no passport at all or a fake passport.

I've seen reports on raids in bars in which expats are held until they provide proof of their legal status, but arrested in put in jail for not having a passport on them, never heard of this. 

Being detained until they provide proof yes, that happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ericthai said:

really??  I dont recall seeing any reports that someone was in jail for not having a passport. 

I've seen news reports of expats being arrested for having no passport at all or a fake passport.

I've seen reports on raids in bars in which expats are held until they provide proof of their legal status, but arrested in put in jail for not having a passport on them, never heard of this. 

Being detained until they provide proof yes, that happens.

Where did I mention jail? I said arrested and have already posted a link to an article from the other day on this very topic. If you have any issues with the information contained in that article, the related articles and the embedded videos then take it up with Adam Judd.

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Where did I mention jail? I said arrested and have already posted a link to an article from the other day on this very topic. If you have any issues with the information contained in that article, the related articles and the embedded videos then take it up with Adam Judd.

If you're arrested your in jail until you're bailed out. I'm not trying to get into with you,  but can you please show me where it says they were arrested?

I read the article and didn't see anything about someone being arrested for not having a passport on them.  It appears they were detained and questioned, but didn't see any arrests for not having a passport on them. 

As I stated I've never heard of someone being arrested for not having a passport on them. They might be detained until they can prove their legal status, but if they are legally in the country they aren't going to be asserted for not having a passport on them.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

It is my understanding that ID cards are mandatory for Thais 16 years and above. Up until 16 years old they are optional.

I have 3 children all had to obtain ID cards on turning 7 years old. It's compulsory.

7 and 70 years

tʰaj]; RTGS: bat pracham tua pracha chon thai) is an official identity document issued to Thai nationals between the age of 7 and 70 years.

6 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I suspect that they were unable to provide identification.

You are surely not dumb enough to accept Thai newspaper reporting verbatim?

2 hours ago, ericthai said:

If you're arrested your in jail until you're bailed out. I'm not trying to get into with you,  but can you please show me where it says they were arrested?

I read the article and didn't see anything about someone being arrested for not having a passport on them.  It appears they were detained and questioned, but didn't see any arrests for not having a passport on them. 

As I stated I've never heard of someone being arrested for not having a passport on them. They might be detained until they can prove their legal status, but if they are legally in the country they aren't going to be asserted for not having a passport on them.  

Arrest doesn't mean going to jail until you're bailed out. It means you're detained by the cops, ie not free to leave. Which is what the Pattaya News reports state happened. 

"Some of the foreigners were unable to present their passports and they were taken to the Pattaya Police Station for questioning."

34 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I suspect that they were unable to provide identification.

You are surely not dumb enough to accept Thai newspaper reporting verbatim?

TPN is co-owned by a farang. I've got just was much reason to believe his media outlet as I do anything that you post in here.

8 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I just read the article, and was not aware of that was the only reason for being detained. So if thats the case, you are right. Anyway, I never walk around without id, or phone with pictures of updated stamps and passport. 

It have been a long ongoing debate about police stop people in public and ask for passports, and before covid, I thought thay finely decided tourists or expats was not obligated to do so. 

Edited by Hummin

25 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

TPN is co-owned by a farang. I've got just was much reason to believe his media outlet as I do anything that you post in here.

That is hardly a recommendation, the 'news' reporting here is abysmally flawed.

If you are smart you would seek independent confirmation......as you should with any of my posts (which are usually more grammatically accurate than the these 'newspapers'.

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

Wow, I cant believe you risk carrying everything with you. What if you get in accident and you're unconscious your bag goes missing. Then you have to replace everything.  

I don't deal in silly 'what if s'  ... especially when they've never happened in 67 yrs of me living.   Exercising the slightest bit of uncommon common sense has kept me accident free.

I look before I cross the street, and I think the car has 6 airbags & I drive the speed limit, and yet to have someone hit my vehicles while driving, and that's 22 ish yrs here.

If I'm unconscious, due to any reason, losing my bag would be the least of me concerns, as nothing in there that can't almost easily be replaced.  

Having an accident, is 1 step below, being asked for my PP, since I don't frequent the 'tourist' ghettos, that a corrupt person would ask for it.   If I show my DL & ID (pink) and they still want to see my PP ... well, nuff said.

Still, my PP is safest with me, on me, or in the car, than at unoccupied house, or hotel room/safe that too many people have access to.  After carrying for 10 yrs, still looks brand new.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1