Should I carry passport with me all the time?

2 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I just go to a Kodak shop and have my passport copied onto a credit card sized card. On one side is the first page of my passport and on the back is my current visa extension.

The cost is less than 50 baht. 

i will do that thank you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I came back from Pattaya last week.
Went to see a friend who opened a bakery.

Drove some backroads to reach to motorway.
Before entering motorway, I saw some police officers, stopping cars, especially with foreigners.
A few foreigners were already out of their cars.

One police off. came to me and asked driving license.
I had to park a bit further.
Didn't ask for road tax or insurance or car documents.
Asked for my passport.
I told him, he has my driving license in his hands and I don't have my passport on me but a photo on my phone.
I had to step out of my car.
He was looking at my phone when I was searching the right picture.
I told him to give me a bit of privacy and don't stare at my phone.
I showed him my passport page and visa stamp.
He insisted to make a photo of it with his phone.
Later I had to stand in front of my car and he wanted to take a picture.
I asked him what the problem is and that I will call a friend in BKK.
I called and my friend took the call.
Quickly I got my drivers license back and off I went.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I showed him my passport page and visa stamp.
He insisted to make a photo of it with his phone.
Later I had to stand in front of my car and he wanted to take a picture.

Very strange behaviour from the BiB - it seems the Police in Pattaya (and Phuket) have this strange attitude towards foreigners that we are all potential criminals or something. 

I asked him what the problem is and that I will call a friend in BKK.

I'd be very interested in the ‘why’... there may have been a logic..  I’d just be very curious to know why I was stopped etc...   usually they just say something like ‘big boss say’.. .but that doesnt answer the question...  I want to know whats going on in their heads.. 

I called and my friend took the call.
Quickly I got my drivers license back and off I went.

The 'phone a friend option’ can be very useful.... I don’t like to use it and always try to sort out any issue directly myself - but a couple of times the past I’ve had to resort to the 'phone a friend option’ which resolves a simple issue very quickly...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Very strange behaviour from the BiB - it seems the Police in Pattaya (and Phuket) have this strange attitude towards foreigners that we are all potential criminals or something. 

They were targeting foreigners.

I'd be very interested in the ‘why’... there may have been a logic..  I’d just be very curious to know why I was stopped etc...   usually they just say something like ‘big boss say’.. .but that doesnt answer the question...  I want to know whats going on in their heads.. 

He didn't speak a word of english. Not interested in my car documents. Wanted my passport and me out of the car. Wanted to take my phone to look for passport photo himself. Told him to not touch my phone and to give me some privacy. Later took photo of my passport and visa picture. Insisted to take a photo of me, in front of my car.

The 'phone a friend option’ can be very useful.... I don’t like to use it and always try to sort out any issue directly myself - but a couple of times the past I’ve had to resort to the 'phone a friend option’ which resolves a simple issue very quickly...

Yes, he didn't like it. No call he said.
I did call, phone was ringing and the other end accepted the call.
Investigation was quickly over.

3 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

My vision is far from the best but I can read every letter showing on my copy.

Maybe your passport info isn't clear or you need to have the job done at a different place.

My passport is clear, the scan I made of it is too. But a printout at C Card size is too small. Photo on phone is fine as it can be zoomed in.

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My passport is clear, the scan I made of it is too. But a printout at C Card size is too small. Photo on phone is fine as it can be zoomed in.

Did you have it done at a Kodak shop as I described?   In your case you should continue on with just using your phone photo.      ????

• Thumbs Up 1

I carry copies of my passport on my smartphone, have paper copies in my car and scooter.

I've been here 12 years, and not once have I been asked for my passport by the police.

Different banks have different rules, some accept photos on the phone, others want the original passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I carry mine, almost always, except locally on my scooter, AND, if wife is in the house.  If she's out, then 'bag' goes with me, or just small wallet on the scooter.

Since my most important document, it's in my cross body bag, with; phone, DL, bank book, yellow book, billfold w/plastic, specs, blade.  All neat & tidy, with pocket for my 'wallet', which actually holds; DL, cash, important plastic.  Wallet goes with me on scooter.

And no, rarely, if ever asked for PP the past 20ish years.  It is the law though.

I have seen many posts, not just in this thread, but on many occasions some folks say you have 24 hrs to take it to the police station, or a picture on your phone is OK or you need the original document, its the law.

Not arguing with you, but to clear up the obvious confusion, to which law are you referring?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It might've been mentioned already, however just for the record, I took my passport along to a copy shop and got them to make a small copy of it, about credit card size, which they then laminated, and which I carry around in my wallet all the time.

I have presented it at various places when asked for a passport, and it has been accepted, as has my Thai driving licence.

• Like 1