Should I carry passport with me all the time?

On 11/25/2022 at 2:42 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

Hence why I said 'BS'. They're very unlikely to ask for something that will make them lose face. I've told you this before.

Never in my 50+ years of travelling the world has any copper in whatever country ever asked me for my passport. May be they can judge a person on appearance?

I was asked, last week.

On 11/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yup, agreed...  Hotels don’t seem to care if its an ID (Pink - not sure about DL etc) or a Passport these days... perhaps that will change with another ‘crack-down’....

Over the past year at least I’ve got the impression anything with your name on it is good enough !

I always check in with my DL

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

A tourist asks about needing to carry a passport at all times....

Answered very easily, take a copy of PP ID page and entry/extension stamp and leave PP at hotel/condo.

Instead, 6 pages of "see how special I am with pink card and Thai drivers licence that I don't need passport" crowd that doesn't help the OP one bit lol

Its not just the Op who is interested in the answers to this question. 

Those in ‘other situations’ may also wonder what is acceptable. 

For example; it ‘may’ be acceptable to carry your home country Driving Licence (as long as it has Photo ID)... perhaps others have experience... hence, the discussion of what else may or may not be acceptable, why we should carry ID in the first place... Is it an Immigration requirement? or a Thai Law Requirement? exactly what are the requirements? is it a requirement to carry passport or just ID ? etc etc...  

OR... perhaps you believe this should have been a two post thread... the question and your answer, anything else anyone else mentions is not what you want to read. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I expect you'll be told that you are a troll who is making up stories to increase your post count.

Funny.
Why would I do this?

I was checked last year and only after making a call to friend/police in BKK, the control was quickly over.

3 hours ago, RafPinto said:
11 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I expect you'll be told that you are a troll who is making up stories to increase your post count.

Funny.
Why would I do this?

I was checked last year and only after making a call to friend/police in BKK, the control was quickly over.

Same for me a few years back (>5)...   Taxi turning left onto Sukhumvit at Asoke Junction, coming from from Rama IV. 

The BiB saw me in the passenger seat, so pulled over the Taxi.. asked me for Passport. 

Nope !.. I didn’t have it... I showed them my DL... Nope, they wanted my Passport. 

It was about 6pm and I was heading out to see friends for a beer. 

The BiB asked me to get out, I suggested he waits and takes the call I’m about to make. 

I call my phone-a-friend option...  he talks with the BiB who waves me on. 

What did the BiB want ???... nothing good, thats for sure. I suspected they’d have had me emptying my pockets, peeing in a cup etc...  and then when they find nothing trying to fine me for not carrying a passport - I don’t play those games.

That said - getting stopped and asked is extremely rare... But some poster seem to believe it doesn’t happen... Other idiots suggest its because of ‘appearance’ !!!.. (i.e. those who get stopped are dressed poorly etc) - they can’t see appearance in a taxi - they [BiB] just see a white face. 

The profile a Westerner / foreigners and think they have a chance to get some cash..  Well, they used to anyway until those pulling these stunts in that area were stopped due to bad publicity. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Funny.
Why would I do this?

There's a certain type of poster in here that has lived in Thailand for a hundred years and has never had a problem at Immigration, never been stopped by a cop and asked for tea money, never been asked for a passport, never been questioned at the airport, never had to pee in a cup.

So when others post their own experiences to the contrary the usual response is that you're making it up. Or that it's "hearsay" or "bad reporting by 'useless lazy Thais'". Their words, not mine.

Then when they eventually concede that you're not lying they tell you that it was because of the way you were dressed, or berated you for being an "easy mark" because you gave the copper a hundred baht to get out of your face. Or some other ex-SAS hard man type response ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same for me a few years back (>5)...   Taxi turning left onto Sukhumvit at Asoke Junction, coming from from Rama IV. 

The BiB saw me in the passenger seat, so pulled over the Taxi.. asked me for Passport. 

Nope !.. I didn’t have it... I showed them my DL... Nope, they wanted my Passport. 

It was about 6pm and I was heading out to see friends for a beer. 

The BiB asked me to get out, I suggested he waits and takes the call I’m about to make. 

I call my phone-a-friend option...  he talks with the BiB who waves me on. 

What did the BiB want ???... nothing good, thats for sure. I suspected they’d have had me emptying my pockets, peeing in a cup etc...  and then when they find nothing trying to fine me for not carrying a passport - I don’t play those games.

That said - getting stopped and asked is extremely rare... But some poster seem to believe it doesn’t happen... Other idiots suggest its because of ‘appearance’ !!!.. (i.e. those who get stopped are dressed poorly etc) - they can’t see appearance in a taxi - they [BiB] just see a white face. 

The profile a Westerner / foreigners and think they have a chance to get some cash..  Well, they used to anyway until those pulling these stunts in that area were stopped due to bad publicity. 

"Turning left onto the Suk eh? Hmm...must have been headed to Nana. Only dodgy farang go to Nana so the BiB were right to stop you and ask for passport (even though that doesn't happen, 50 years blah and). Ergo it's your fault."

There @ivorsmallun2 I saved you the trouble ????

• Haha 2