Should I carry passport with me all the time?

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

"Some of the foreigners were unable to present their passports and they were taken to the Pattaya Police Station for questioning."

You made a quote but failed to attach the source of your quote. In breach of forum rules I believe?   ourrules  

I'll put it for you.    https://thepattayanews.com/2022/11/19/nightclub-goers-tested-positive-for-drugs-in-pattaya-entertainment-venue-crackdown-passport-inspections-for-foreigners-to-continue/

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You made a quote but failed to attach the source of your quote. In breach of forum rules I believe?   ourrules  

I'll put it for you.    https://thepattayanews.com/2022/11/19/nightclub-goers-tested-positive-for-drugs-in-pattaya-entertainment-venue-crackdown-passport-inspections-for-foreigners-to-continue/

Well apparently that article is fake news so you just broke the forum rules too. 

14 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Well apparently that article is fake news so you just broke the forum rules too. 

You are the only person saying that is fake news.

Others are saying is probably poor/inadequate reporting....but then what would you expect from owners without a journalistic background. 

16 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You are the only person saying that is fake news.

Others are saying is probably poor/inadequate reporting....but then what would you expect from owners without a journalistic background. 

No it was you that said it was made up by a Thai journalist, ie. fake. Even if it was made up I'd still believe it over anything you've got to say.

5 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I've been reading this and other forums for about 20 years now. In that time I haven't read all that many reports from people claiming they were randomly stopped by the cops and asked to produce their passport.

When it does come up it seems to be, as usual, all about location, location, location. Eg. many years ago there were a bunch of reports on here of members getting hassled by the cops in a specific area of Thonglor. Iirc Big Jok might have shut that nonsense down.

On the very first page of this thread, RafPinto says he was recently stopped whilst out driving in Pattaya and asked for his passport (DL not good enough). 

Sounds like he might have got caught up in Pol Maj Gen Suwanlaong's little "crackdown". 

I simply refuse to believe that all those reports are made up. If that's the case then every word on this forum is a lie.

So there's no doubt in my mind that from time to time foreigners will be randomly stopped and asked for their passport, even though I have never been asked myself.

I did however show a policeman at an APEC checkpoint a photo of my passport on my phone (I don't have a DL etc), and the swipe card from my condo. I don't really care for trying to be difficult in those types of situations so I had the pic ready as the motosai was pulling up to the checkpoint. 

Personally I or my friends or acquaintances have ever had that problem, and those I met who claimed thay had been harassed by police was typical persons you would think they would have problems with authorities ????

I remember one razzia at a Night club in Pattaya, and the only one I have experienced all these years being here in Thailand. I among most in the Night Club was guided out by Police without any questions. I assumed they knew who they wanted to target at that time being, staff, tourists, and locals (girls)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hummin said:

Not one time been asked for a passport in 20 years elsewhere by police or anyone else than check in at hotels.

Same same  except 35 years. Found also when traveling around with it in my shirt pocket it gets soaked in sweat which seems to screw up the scanners used in passport controls, spent 20 mins in Oz at the immigration while they tried to figure out why they couldn't read the thing. Another good reason not to carry it around all the time.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, xkkpafi said:

Same same  except 35 years. Found also when traveling around with it in my shirt pocket it gets soaked in sweat which seems to screw up the scanners used in passport controls, spent 20 mins in Oz at the immigration while they tried to figure out why they couldn't read the thing. Another good reason not to carry it around all the time.

I keep mine in plastic/waterproof pouch.  Recent 10 yr renewal, and the old one looked brand new.

Thought that would be common sense.

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:
14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not on the DL’s issued to foreigners who used the Yellow House Book & Pink ID as proof of address.

Ah, you're from the yellow house book and pink ID card parade......say no more.

You have something against those who hold a yellow book ???....   your response is very strange. 

Perhaps you had to try and save face after your inaccurate comment was corrected ??? very juvenile.... ’say no more’ indeed !!!... ????

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:
1 hour ago, xkkpafi said:

I keep mine in plastic/waterproof pouch.  Recent 10 yr renewal, and the old one looked brand new.

Thought that would be common sense.

I guess if you’re carrying around your passport with you at all times etc... it makes sense to carry it around in a waterproof pouch - just incase you get caught out in torrential rain etc... 

But.. even after all the comments on this thread, I do still wonder why someone carries their passport around with them at all times - I really don’t think its necessary when a copy is perfectly sufficient. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I keep mine in plastic/waterproof pouch. 

Sold on Lazada. Pouches in the back cover for driving licence and your TM47 etc.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pattaya-pvc-card-cover-i3782258972-s14377419063.html?clickTrackInfo=undefined&search=1&source=search&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i76.2a6b5c3cZQLOXv

52 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Sold on Lazada. Pouches in the back cover for driving licence and your TM47 etc.

Keep mine in a bank book sleeve, and has worked for decades, keeping dry & looking new.  My 'bag' is water resistant/proof, and my yellow book is in a sealed waterproof plastic thingy.   

If ever caught in Typhoon or Tsunami, I could always put my PP in with my yellow book, as a bit roomy.

Some of the comments are just silly, people always losing their possessions, or keeping 'paper' items in sweaty shirts or going swimming at SongKran with them.

Depending where you hang out, most don't need to carry, unless at the tourist ghettos, where corrupt folks may hang out.

As stated, just safer with me, on or in car nearby.  Hotel room/safe, big NO ... IMHO.  Front desk, maybe, but then one might forget when checking out, then not realize, till checking in for that int'l flight ... oops.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Keep mine in a bank book sleeve, and has worked for decades, keeping dry & looking new.  My 'bag' is water resistant/proof, and my yellow book is in a sealed waterproof plastic thingy.   

If ever caught in Typhoon or Tsunami, I could always put my PP in with my yellow book, as a bit roomy.

Noooo....  don’t mention the Yellow Book... PJ71 will accuse you of being in some sort of parade !!! :giggle:

Some of the comments are just silly, people always losing their possessions, or keeping 'paper' items in sweaty shirts or going swimming at SongKran with them.

I learned a mistake about 20 years ago...  Passed through immigration, passport straight into back pocket... collected baggage, straight home... I guess I showered, changed clothes and went straight out and caught up with friends....   A couple of days later the maid knocked on my door, very sheepish look and very apologetic..  handed my ‘damaged’ passport over... It had gone through the wash (not her fault at all). 

Luckily, my Photo ID was still recognisable and the Embassy was ok to process a new one (days before VFS).

Since then, the passport has always gone straight into my passport wallet - then gets transferred to my Safe when I get home. 

Depending where you hang out, most don't need to carry, unless at the tourist ghettos, where corrupt folks may hang out.

Agreed... these area’s of high ‘foreigner’ footfall are areas where there are those in positions of (relative) power to attempt to take advantage of unsuspecting foreigners and attempt to extort them of ‘fines’ for not having their passport of a copy of etc...  *(used to be relatively frequent reports from the Asoke area - Thonglor BiB being corrupt as sin).

As stated, just safer with me, on or in car nearby.  Hotel room/safe, big NO ... IMHO.  Front desk, maybe, but then one might forget when checking out, then not realize, till checking in for that int'l flight ... oops.

I assume all of this is when travelling.... makes sense, I don’t trust hotel safes either. 

What about when you are at home and pop out etc ? - do you still carry your passport or leave it locked away ?

As far as leaving my passport at a ‘front desk’ - never, not even for 5 mins. 

If they need it [Passport] they can photocopy and return to me immediately. With shift changes etc I never trust a hotel to look after a document...  

I hate handing over my passport when working in other countries etc and I have to hand over my Passport for residency processing etc. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have something against those who hold a yellow book ???

It's a lot of bureaucracy ( which you seem to enjoy ) for very little benefit,  I don't see the point in it ( but like you, many do ) there's already a lot of topics about it ( i'm sure you've had input ) so no point discussing further.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps you had to try and save face

Oh, look at that, it appears you're part of the 'saving face' brigade as well, quite the combo......no shock there either - lol

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

It's a lot of bureaucracy ( which you seem to enjoy ) for very little benefit,  I don't see the point in it ( but like you, many do ) there's already a lot of topics about it ( i'm sure you've had input ) so no point discussing further.

Oh, look at that, it appears you're part of the 'saving face' brigade as well, quite the combo......no shock there either - lol

Both yellow house book & pink ID have come in very handy.  Well worth the very small effort & cost to get, and very happy I have both.

If purchasing vehicle or at Imm ...no need for (500 baht a pop)  'cert of residence', lease/landlords info.  p ID for check in, especially in the past, to avoid TM30s when returning home.  Great to give anyone asking for ID (ex: hospital) as have all, name/address without asking for more info.

Keeps people from handling my PP, and keeps it looking new.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Both yellow house book & pink ID have come in very handy.  Well worth the very small effort & cost to get, and very happy I have both.

If purchasing vehicle or at Imm ...no need for (500 baht a pop)  'cert of residence', lease/landlords info.  p ID for check in, especially in the past, to avoid TM30s when returning home.  Great to give anyone asking for ID (ex: hospital) as have all, name/address without asking for more info.

Keeps people from handling my PP, and keeps it looking new.

Horses for courses i guess, i'm happy you're happy. 

Purchasing vehicles / visiting hospitals / returning home ( for most people ) are not regular occurrences.

Once registered with a hospital, normally all you need to do is give them your HN, no passport required.

A tourist asks about needing to carry a passport at all times....

Answered very easily, take a copy of PP ID page and entry/extension stamp and leave PP at hotel/condo.

Instead, 6 pages of "see how special I am with pink card and Thai drivers licence that I don't need passport" crowd that doesn't help the OP one bit lol

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Once registered with a hospital, normally all you need to do is give them your HN, no passport required.

Partly true, I never need my passport at the hospitals I use, registered with the pink card.

I usually have an appointment card so no ID required but to get an appointment then the ID card is required, HN is not enough.

The mobile health unit is coming to our area again in Feb and I am booked in for another free health check up, although I accept that would be of litlle interest to the health elitists.