Should I carry passport with me all the time?

On 11/25/2022 at 12:51 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Very strange behaviour from the BiB - it seems the Police in Pattaya (and Phuket) have this strange attitude towards foreigners that we are all potential criminals or something

.....I wonder why?    555

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This past year, every hotel I’ve checked into over Thailand, I’ve done so with the Pink ID - they never asked for the passport,

It all depends why they are asking, many hotels want ID for there own records and security so DL or pink card would be ok. If they are doing it for immigration then it must be a passport as they are required to submit a copy of the stamp. Problems can arise if you get a receptionist that has never seen an under consideration stamp before.

About 5 years ago immigration had a purge on hotels and it was very difficult to check in without showing your passport, but that didn't last particularly long.

The hotel I am in at the moment never asked to see my ID, nor did the one last night.

On 11/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, KhunLA said:

It is the law though.

It is not the law. Some years ago this debate raged nationally, especially when applied to tourists and it was in the press. The deputy head of immigration issued a statement saying that a copy was sufficient. I printed a copy of the article which included his photo and carried it in my wallet for years until it disintegrated...555. Never had to show it or my passport. Wish Id uploaded the article as Ive forgotten the minister's name.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

It is not the law. Some years ago this debate raged nationally, especially when applied to tourists and it was in the press. The deputy head of immigration issued a statement saying that a copy was sufficient. I printed a copy of the article which included his photo and carried it in my wallet for years until it disintegrated...555. Never had to show it or my passport. Wish Id uploaded the article as Ive forgotten the minister's name.

https://www.thaizer.com/carrying-your-passport-in-thailand/#:~:text=“By law%2C you must carry,the back of your passport.”

IMG_20221126_161238.jpg

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, SunsetT said:
On 11/25/2022 at 8:46 AM, richard_smith237 said:

whenever I go out of the province... i.e. on Holiday to Samui, Phuket, Trat etc...  I always bring my passport with me (it stays locked way in my bag). 

Well of course because you would need it to check into hotels and to check-in for flights.....if flying.

No, I use the pink ID.

The Passport comes with me, just in case... 

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I always figured the hotels would need a Passport so they can file the TM30.. 

This past year, every hotel I’ve checked into over Thailand, I’ve done so with the Pink ID - they never asked for the passport, thus, I figure, they only file a TM30 if we check-in with a passport, and if we don’t its less work for them !... 

[not lodges or back packer places but - decent resorts - So Sofitel, Marriotts etc]

Thus, as you pointed out h&s - its seems any ID will do.

52 minutes ago, sandyf said:

About 5 years ago immigration had a purge on hotels and it was very difficult to check in without showing your passport, but that didn't last particularly long.

The hotel I am in at the moment never asked to see my ID, nor did the one last night.

Yup, agreed...  Hotels don’t seem to care if its an ID (Pink - not sure about DL etc) or a Passport these days... perhaps that will change with another ‘crack-down’....

Over the past year at least I’ve got the impression anything with your name on it is good enough !

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The waters have been muddied by various contradictory announcements made by police chiefs in certain areas... (i.e. Phuket, Pattaya and Hua Hin) which is contradicted by either an announcement in another province or by an newer Chief Of Police... 

The law is also somewhat vague... it states ‘Aliens must carry government issued photo identification or be able to provide such within a reasonable time-frame’... 

It doesn't say ‘Passport’ but many assume this to mean ‘Passport’... even official bodies make this assumption. 

N

thank you.

You were very specific about this statement -  "The law is also somewhat vague... it states ‘Aliens must carry government issued photo identification or be able to provide such within a reasonable time-frame".

Could I please ask you to quote the reference for that law.

Such a silly thread.

Never take your pp outside unless you have business with immigration or travel or such things as TDL , banking etc.

Have a physical photocopy of id page and current permission of stay..

Also screenshot of those on your cell. 

That's it. 

• Like 1

Back in March this year I advised Her Majesty's Passport Office in UK that they had issued my latest passport (my seventh) with my name spelt incorrectly. It took until July to convince HMPO that I could not return said incorrectly issued passport for re-issue as I was required to carry my passport "at all times" in Thailand as proof of identity. (HMPO are perfectly aware (or should be aware) of this rule in Thailand but they procrastinated their acceptance of it).

HMPO eventually agreed that I could return the previous, cancelled, passport together with another application (without payment obviously). It is now almost December and I have only received confirmation that the replacement passport is being "processed".

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Back in March this year I advised Her Majesty's Passport Office in UK that they had issued my latest passport (my seventh) with my name spelt incorrectly. It took until July to convince HMPO that I could not return said incorrectly issued passport for re-issue as I was required to carry my passport "at all times" in Thailand as proof of identity. (HMPO are perfectly aware (or should be aware) of this rule in Thailand but they procrastinated their acceptance of it).

HMPO eventually agreed that I could return the previous, cancelled, passport together with another application (without payment obviously). It is now almost December and I have only received confirmation that the replacement passport is being "processed".

How is immigration / Banks dealing with that? Any issues?

10 minutes ago, MJCM said:

How is immigration / Banks dealing with that? Any issues?

At the present time, Immigration have either failed to notice or don't care. The bank took my word for it that the name on my passport was incorrect and accepted my explanation. It was the hospital that initially picked it up when requested to provide my COVID vaccination "passport". Two vaccinations were recorded under my correct name and one was recorded under the incorrect name shown on my passport.

Edited by Yorkie

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is only a law which states all people in Thailand (Thai or Foreign) must carry government issued Photo ID. 

There is no law which states that foreigners must carry their passport - there is no link to a law which does not exist - there is only plenty of other articles, web pages and even embassy advice which make the assumption based on the above law that all people must have photo ID and the logical connection that the only government issued photo ID that every foreigner in Thailand has is their passport - hence the simplification, we must carry our passport which airs on the side of caution. 

Thus: the only law we (foreigners) need to comply with is carrying a government issued ID. 

The grey area is whether the Thai DL is considered government issued ID. Or if a Foreign driving licence is considered government issued ID. 

Thats the technical side of it anyway...  

There is no requirement to be able to prove our ‘immigration status’ unless asked by an Immigration officer - but, if asked, i.e. Police and Immigration raiding a night club etc and we can’t satisfy immigration of our status, we’d need to be able to provide our immigration status within a reasonable time frame or we could be arrested...   In most cases, photocopies are sufficient to prove status. 

Thank you again - and I understand and agree with everything as above.

So, the last thing I ask for (for completeness - and the ability to kill off the next thread in which someone says you have to carry your passport) is the legal reference that states "all people in Thailand (Thai or Foreign) must carry government issued Photo ID. "

Now THAT, must exist and if necessary I will search the Civil & Commercial Code again tomorrow.

Edited by hotandsticky

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

I use my motorbike driving licence as ID in TH. The passport I only use when I travel far from my base, and at hotel check-ins etc.

I never take my passport anywhere, Thai license has always been accepted all over thailand checking into hotels, police check points and various other places.

PP number is on Thai license, not sure what the fuss is about?

Edited by PJ71
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

So, the last thing I ask for (for completeness - and the ability to kill off the next thread in which someone says you have to carry your passport) is the legal reference that states "all people in Thailand (Thai or Foreign) must carry government issued Photo ID. "

Now THAT, must exist and if necessary I will search the Civil & Commercial Code again tomorrow.

"Government issued photo ID". In the case of a foreigner, would that be Thai government issued ID or the foreigner's "home" government issued ID?

5 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

I never take my passport anywhere, Thai license is has always been accepted all over thailand checking into hotels, police check points and various other places.

PP number is on Thai license, not sure what the fuss is about?

There may be folks who do not hold a Thai driving licence?

13 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

"all people in Thailand (Thai or Foreign) must carry government issued Photo ID. "

This is Thailand. They don't even obey the laws of the road.

ID cards are issued here at 7 years old. What's a policeman going to do to a 7 year old who's forgot his before he left the house? And if the 7 year old can't pay the fine are they gonna lock him up till he does? It's a mad house.

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

This is Thailand. They don't even obey the laws of the road.

ID cards are issued here at 7 years old. What's a policeman going to do to a 7 year old who's forgot his before he left the house? And if the 7 year old can't pay the fine are they gonna lock him up till he does? It's a mad house.

i thought ID cards were issued at 16?

Why on earth would a 7 year old need an ID card?

27 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Yep - it exists I recall reading it...   

Not sure if its in the Identity Card Act 1983....  or documented elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PJ71 said:

Yes, or a photo on phone, or a photo copy.

Maybe. Depending upon the mood of the officer. I carry my driving licence and pink ID with me whenever I'm away from my house and a copy of my passport and current extension is always in my truck. I carry my passport should I leave the province. Not a major inconvenience.

9 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

i thought ID cards were issued at 16?

Why on earth would a 7 year old need an ID card?

It is my understanding that ID cards are mandatory for Thais 16 years and above. Up until 16 years old they are optional.

• Like 1