Should I carry passport with me all the time?

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Only 2 places I take my passport and they are the bank and immigration. Both only once a year. For those that claim a policeman ask for their passport surprises me as I doubt yer average Thai plod would know what he's truly looking at. For sure he's not going to understand the date stamps as Thais have their own calander years. He sure as hell wouldn't know what the immigration stamps are for.

Yeah... you’ve said this before...  and called BS (on me) when I’ve mentioned that the BiB have asked me for my passport (on more than one occasion)...  

Thus, when you mention ‘for this that claim’ with the implication they are lying you are wrong - they are ‘stating a fact’ something they (we) have experienced first hand - it happens, although very infrequently. 

Now... what I suspect the BiB really mean when they ask for a Passport is ID...  they just use the term Passport as its more general...  most of the time they accept any ID (driving licence etc, even home country ID or Driving licences etc)...  even a library card !! - the simple act of compliance is usually enough and they don’t want to lose face by showing they don’t understand what they are looking at. 

BUT.. there have also been rare situations when the BiB only want a Passport...  and look for ‘trouble’ (or a bribe) as used to happen in the Asoke area (and happened to me and reported by others over the years)... 

Carrying a physical copy of your passport or / and copies on your phone is not going to hurt anyone and takes next to no effort. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

the simple act of compliance is usually enough and they don’t want to lose face by showing they don’t understand what they are looking at. 

Hence why I said 'BS'. They're very unlikely to ask for something that will make them lose face. I've told you this before.

Never in my 50+ years of travelling the world has any copper in whatever country ever asked me for my passport. May be they can judge a person on appearance?

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a Thai driving licence and the digital version on my phone which has also been ok on the rare occasion I've been stopped. I do carry that physical card.

My work permit is only digital, and as soon as I show that I never have been asked for a passport.

Not that I would ever carry it with me unless I was heading to the bank or immigration. But, I keep a copy on my phone.

Edited by Karma80

At all times I have a copy of my passport and stamp and eVisa. I have a Thai drivers license with my address. I have a pink ID. My passport stays in my home and if I need call  friend to go collect will enjoy myself with the BiB I will order them some nice food from Grab while we wait. This subject has been done to death I would rather have a night in the cells than lose my passport by accident or theft.

Speaking as a tourist so no Thai drivers licence or pink card like so many posts here say to show.

I carry a copy of my Passport info and entry stamp pages cut down to the passport single page size instead of keeping at A4 page size, so easy to carry in wallet. I've only ever needed to show the copy at currency exchange

Note: my actual passport has only ever been needed at immigration, hotel check-in, bank opening or phone Sim purchase. 

Edited by aussiexpat

My take on this subject is as long as you could prove your identity and legality of your stay in Thailand, it is OK. So a copy of passport and the stamp that shows how long you are permitted to stay in Thailand should suffice.  I was once caught in the Big Jok's infamous raids at Nana, prior to Covid-19 and I think may be circa 2018. I did not have my passport but there were immigration officers who did verify my identity and legality with immigration office using their Mobile phone. However, they asked me to pee in a cup to check drug. And that was another story and I don't want to discuss it here because I was indeed high on ice. 

Edited by Onerak

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Speaking as a tourist so no Thai drivers licence or pink card like so many posts here say to show.

I carry a copy of my Passport info and entry stamp pages cut down to the passport single page size instead of keeping at A4 page size, so easy to carry in wallet. I've only ever needed to show the copy at currency exchange

Note: my actual passport has only ever been needed at immigration, hotel check-in, bank opening or phone Sim purchase. 

Off topic but most hotels (all the many that I have used) will accept photo ID. I present my Thai driving license.

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Off topic but most hotels (all the many that I have used) will accept photo ID. I present my Thai driving license.

I always figured the hotels would need a Passport so they can file the TM30.. 

This past year, every hotel I’ve checked into over Thailand, I’ve done so with the Pink ID - they never asked for the passport, thus, I figure, they only file a TM30 if we check-in with a passport, and if we don’t its less work for them !... 

[not lodges or back packer places but - decent resorts - So Sofitel, Marriotts etc]

Thus, as you pointed out h&s - its seems any ID will do.

Edited by richard_smith237

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I guess this thread is only for people that have a Thai drivers licence lol 

8 hours ago, aussiexpat said:
12 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

8 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I guess this thread is only for people that have a Thai drivers licence lol 

I wonder if the hotels would accept an ‘over-seas’ driving licence....  

Or, if they [hotels] accept a photocopy of your passport or the reduced sized laminated copy some guys get made...

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder if the hotels would accept an ‘over-seas’ driving licence....  

Or, if they [hotels] accept a photocopy of your passport or the reduced sized laminated copy some guys get made...

Again you expats are over thinking it with your Thai drivers licence and pink card (whatever that is). As a tourist why would you not check into a hotel with your passport. Surely you have it on you moving hotels?

Personally I think hotel will want real passport, not photocopy (unless you have other Thai ID mentioned so much).

Edited by aussiexpat

5 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Again you expats are over thinking it with your Thai drivers licence and pink card (whatever that is). As a tourist why would you not check into a hotel with your passport. Surely you have it on you moving hotels?

Then lock it in the safe and carry a photocopy

The safe that is anything but  ...????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Personally I think hotel will want real passport, not photocopy (unless you have other Thai ID mentioned so much).

Valid point - whenever I have travelled within Thailand I always carry my passport with me - its at hand if asked for, but its locked in a travel-wallet with cash and backup credit card etc - its just easier to present ‘a card from the wallet in my pocket’... thats all... 

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

So can't carry with you, can't leave in hotel room safe...might as well just not worry about it...

In a hotel, the passport stays in the ’travel wallet’ which stays locked in my bag...    there’s always a risk of theft I suppose, but as you mentioned...  we can over think these things. 

As far as hotels etc are concern the passport / ID card etc is not an issue - I just don’t want to be carrying my passport with me when out and about - thats all. I think many feel the same. 

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Hotels always except copy of passports. 

When I'm in Bangkok, my passport stays at home unless I visit immigration or a bank. When I travel, my passport comes with me but stays locked up at the hotel after check-in.

I wouldn't even consider carrying it with me at all times. I have a Thai DL in my wallet for ID, and pictures of my passport and the latest immigration stamps on my phone. Never been asked for the latter, but it can't hurt.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, RafPinto said:

I came back from Pattaya last week.
Went to see a friend who opened a bakery.

Drove some backroads to reach to motorway.
Before entering motorway, I saw some police officers, stopping cars, especially with foreigners.
A few foreigners were already out of their cars.

One police off. came to me and asked driving license.
I had to park a bit further.
Didn't ask for road tax or insurance or car documents.
Asked for my passport.
I told him, he has my driving license in his hands and I don't have my passport on me but a photo on my phone.
I had to step out of my car.
He was looking at my phone when I was searching the right picture.
I told him to give me a bit of privacy and don't stare at my phone.
I showed him my passport page and visa stamp.
He insisted to make a photo of it with his phone.
Later I had to stand in front of my car and he wanted to take a picture.
I asked him what the problem is and that I will call a friend in BKK.
I called and my friend took the call.
Quickly I got my drivers license back and off I went.

Did you point out to the Officer that your license ID No. IS your passport number that would match your digital phone copy?

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

I carry a photocopy of passport and driver's license, full size on letter size paper.

I don't want to hand my phone to anyone who wants to see my documents.

Where can you buy letter size paper in Thailand? I've only seen A4 for sale.

• Haha 1

Have been asked for PP 4 times over 27 years. Had it with me one time. 1 time around 2000 offered my US driving license without issue.  Twice in more recent years including once last year, showed pics on my phone once and Thai driving license the other. All without any further hassle. Unless up to no good...prob safe with those copies. ????

• Thumbs Up 1