Doctors who practice at both Private & Govt. Hospitals

jerrymahoney

As I have often read on here, someone consults with a doctor at a private hospital and the doctor says that you need xyz  procedure or surgery.  Then the doctor says: I am also on the staff of the local Thai government hospital and I can do the surgery or procedure for you there for x % less.

So my question is -- aside from whether this is ethical on the part of the doctor -- is the doctor offering the alternative as a benefit to you and maybe to get some hard cash into the government hospital coffers or is the actual fee received by the doctor him/herself for the surgery or procedure maybe larger at the govt. hospital than at the private hospital?

Edited by jerrymahoney

I have never read such on here in my time as a member.  It is normally patient reaction to cost at private facility that would trigger such a suggestion I suspect.  The doctors fee at a government hospital is dirt cheap - so much so that many users provide 'gifts' in appreciation such as dress shirts and such. 

As for why - perhaps feels you can not afford - perhaps not keen on medical team of private hospital (especially true if not major facility) - you are very handsome man.

• Like 1

Yes, doctors suggest this when they realize that the patient cannot afford the surgery at the larger hospitals. They do not 'expect' any gifts, but will happily take the gifts. At the end of the day, the doctor is doing his/her ethical part of wanting to treat the patient, even if it means they get paid less to do it. Becoming a doctor at the end of the day means that you want your patients to recover and while it is a job and you want to be paid well, you do realize that recovery is a huge part of your success. And that is why I think doctors do this.

Government hospital fees are fixed and do nto vary regardless. In the kind of situation you describe, i.e. a quasi-private arrangement with a senior doctor on staff at a government hospital, the variation is that the doctor gets a private fee from the patient. What the hospital is paid for use of the OR, supplies, medications , room charge etc does not vary. (Of course there rae different room rates depending in ward bed vs private etc). And these costs are usually vastly less than at private hospitals.

So the government hospital does not benefit by this arrangement and that would not be the motivation.

Whether the surgeon gets the same fee, less fee or more fee than if he had operated at a private hospital, I cannot say. Also cannot say whether the surgeon might have to make some payments out of his fee to "grease the wheels" at the public hospital to get the patient scheduled in a timely manner, but it is possible since waiting lists at public hospitals can be long.

Some public hospitals have formal arrangements that let their senior doctors operate privately after hours, some do not.

• Like 1